Osteopathic student here, what stats do I need to be competitive to match psych?

just_SAIYAN

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a second year interested in psychiatry, I'm a DO student and want to give myself the best chance at matching into a good psych program. I'm a solid student and am going to bust my ass this year in order to do well on boards but...

I just want to know what kind of USMLE and Comlex score will make me competitive for most programs?

Do I need research?

What sort of things can I do to make myself more competitive?

Should I try and find a mentor through my school or reach out to local physicians?

Also any advice/pointers you have for a second year interested in psych?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: J Senpai
G

grapefruit17

DO student. psych intern at university program

score as high as possible, not really a set number. But the higher you score, the higher your odds are.

Research is not a deal breaker but can help.

Kill step 1 and try to demonstrate interest in psych, that should be your main focus.

Reactions: just_SAIYAN

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would try and get involved with Psychiatry interest group. Research if you like too. I don't think it is a deal breaker. Average board scores are good enough to match somewhere. I would advise to take Step 1 and 2. Easier to compare yourself to MD. Unless you know you will do poorly. Easiest thing to do is try your best. I wish I would have tried harder and not take for granted I would match into some places I thought I would. Psychiatry is a little more competitive than it used to be.

OP
just_SAIYAN

just_SAIYAN

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What are some things I can do to demonstrate interest in psych?

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Get involved with the psych club(s) at your school, do some research, join the APA (psychiatric, not psychological), attend some psych conferences, if you're going to do volunteer work try and make it psych related, make your electives during 3rd year psych rotations. Lots of ways to show interest, you just need to make sure it's conveyed when application for the match comes around.

Edit: Splik also posted several links in the Psych Attending AMA thread (first post) and I believe one or two was about how to beef up your application or get more involved with the field. I'd check the thread out and see what ideas you get. I wish I'd known about it earlier as my app would probably look a lot stronger now if I had read it a year ago.

Last edited:

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
I would try and get involved with Psychiatry interest group. Research if you like too. I don't think it is a deal breaker. Average board scores are good enough to match somewhere. I would advise to take Step 1 and 2. Easier to compare yourself to MD. Unless you know you will do poorly. Easiest thing to do is try your best. I wish I would have tried harder and not take for granted I would match into some places I thought I would. Psychiatry is a little more competitive than it used to be.
This.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]

4th yr electives. Schedule as many as you can so you will have that to talk about during interviews if asked. Most places were informal and we did not go over what I did in med school. More about trying to get to know me. Only one did it in a psych interview way.