Osteopathic Student looking into Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm currently looking into surgery residency programs so I can start setting up my 4th year rotations. I have not taken the USMLE step 1, but I did really well on my COMLEX 1 exam. My questions are:

1) Are allopathic programs that much better than osteopathic programs?

2) Do I have to take the USMLE step 1 to get into an allopathic program? If so, what score is considered competitive?

3) Which good allopathic programs in NY or CA are considered "DO-friendly?"

4) How should I set up my rotations? Should I do all my surgery Sub-I's from July to December and then do the rest of my rotations towards the end of the year?

5) When is the best time to take USMLE step 2/COMLEX 2?

Thanks for all the help!

Michele

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fellow NYCOMer that was in similar situation last year... so ill give the short answer and you can PM me if you have futher questions.

1) Depends on what your looking to do.... if you just want to do GS in a private practice somewhere, then it prob. doesnt matter.. If you want any semi competative fellowship, allopathic would be the way to go. Also, if research is your thing, i would also recommend allopathic

2) You dont have to take it, but it helps tremendously. Its a little late to go back and take it now though....im sure most of that basic science stuff is out of your head by now. My suggestion would be to take USMLE 2 and do really well. You also need to get this done early....

3) Not sure about CA, but there are plenty of surgery program open to you as a DO in NY. Cast a wide net, and dont be to cocky and you should be fine. also dont limit yourself to NYC area.... obviously this is the hottest market so you'll have a much harder struggle.. there are plenty of great programs all over the northeast.

4)Setting up the rotations is tricky and school wont give you any help here.
You should schedule your rotations wisely so that you get the letters you need on time.... most attendings will be taking vacation at the end of august so dont forget to factor that in. get the letters early. I had 2 at the end of 3rd year and then got one each from my first 2 rotations.

5)its a tricky question, you need to juggle studying for the test, trying to impress on your surgery Sub-I, filling out the ERAS application, and getting LORS in a short time period. i did my sub -I and an elective, then took 3rd block off to study and took both sets of boards a few days apart. it worked out for me, my scores were in before the deans letters went out.

as im sure you can see, GS is becomming more competative again so you want to make your application as strong as possible. If you have any questions, especially about our school's policy on rotations and where you can and cant do them, let me know. and as usual, school will be of no help to you in this process, so talk to your fellow students, and the residents, and anyone else you can to get the info you need.

hi all,

I'm currently looking into surgery residency programs so I can start setting up my 4th year rotations. I have not taken the USMLE step 1, but I did really well on my COMLEX 1 exam. My questions are:

1) Are allopathic programs that much better than osteopathic programs?

2) Do I have to take the USMLE step 1 to get into an allopathic program? If so, what score is considered competitive?

3) Which good allopathic programs in NY or CA are considered "DO-friendly?"

4) How should I set up my rotations? Should I do all my surgery Sub-I's from July to December and then do the rest of my rotations towards the end of the year?

5) When is the best time to take USMLE step 2/COMLEX 2?

Thanks for all the help!

Michele

#1. I agree with mballs. Most DO programs will train you adequately to do general surgery. There are a few crappy programs where getting your numbers is a struggle though, so be careful.

In regards to fellowships, the one thing that has really surprised me on the interview trail is the amount of osteopathic fellowships available. Many of them are definately not advertised, so it's critical to talk to the residents/programs to see what available/funded. The bad news is that you have to dig up this info yourself. The good news is that in many cases these programs will take their own residents, meaning you have a strong chance to get the fellowship you want if you're already in the program.

However, if you are dead set on a paticular fellowship, give allopathic programs a long hard look.

#2. I did not take the USMLE, and applied to a very short list of allo places that were close to homes. I got a few interviews, but I decided not to take them. I just don't think that you're on the level playing feild when you haven't taken their test. Like it or not, that's reality. So I wasn't willing to not rank the several good osteo places that I had interviewed at to only rank a few allo places (and know that I wasn't likely to be highly ranked because I was sans USMLE). Obviously, your past the prime time for USMLE 1, but for anyone else outh there that is considering applying allo, TAKE THE USMLE.

#4. If you're going to apply allo, it's absolutely criticalto have all of your letters/application stuff in ASAP. Try to have everything ready by mid-August for the opening of ERAS Sept 1. It's probably OK to have a letter or two pending at that time, as you can add letters to ERAS when they come in. But don't count on letters from a Sept-Nov rotation. You just don't know what can happen. They might write you a poor letter, they might not write it at all. Bottom line, be prepared with several letters from 3rd year and July/August of 4th year. You can still ask for letters from subsequent rotations, but you'll have a backup plan just in case. DON'T FIND OUT THE HARD WAY.

As far as rotations go, July-Oct seem like the best time. If you rotate early, it's OK, because attendings and residents will remmeber you come interview time.

#5. Take Step 2 (certainly COMLEX and USMLE if applying allo) as early as possible in the 4th year. You do't want to be trying to study OB or peds that you had at the beginning of 3rd year a year and a half later. And besides, if you're applying allo you want that good step 2 score to go above and beyond the other applicants as much as possible. The good news is, Step 2 isn't that big a deal. Study hard at the end of 3rd year, maybe take a few weeks off (although I didn't) and you'll be fine.

Lastly, there are a few people here that are applying osteo this year. If people want, I'm sure several of us wouldn't mind detailing our interview experiences. For the sake of anonymity, I'd like to hold off a month or two, as the DO world is a small place, and yes, they do read SDN. Although I will say this, I've been fortunate to rotate and interview at many DO programs, and I've been very pleased with what I've found. If you just want to be a good surgeon, it can definately be done in osteo residencies. If you want high powered academia and fellowships, it's good to keep your options open.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, thanks for the responses, they are very helpful! I am studying for the shelf right now, so as soon as that's done, I will PM you about more specifics.

Are most general surgery residencies pyramid programs? It seems like it after going through some websites. Do all of them require a rotating internship/prelim year?

Also, what is considered a competitive profile for GS? Thanks again!

First off, thanks for the responses, they are very helpful! I am studying for the shelf right now, so as soon as that's done, I will PM you about more specifics.

Are most general surgery residencies pyramid programs? It seems like it after going through some websites. Do all of them require a rotating internship/prelim year?

Also, what is considered a competitive profile for GS? Thanks again!

Surgery programs are no longer allowed to be pyramidal. 5 catagoricals in = 5 chiefs out for the most part... gets tricky if there are optional research years etc. the reason some might seem like pyramids is because they have catagorical, prelim, and transitional people in the program. only the catagoricals are gaurunteed to finish...assuming that they complete all of the requirements. the prelim and transitionals are one year positions. I believe many of the osteopathic programs require a rotating internship year, but this is worked into the program itself, so its not really adding a year to the residency. as for allo programs in those 5 states where DO's must do a rotating internship year for licsensure, you can get your first year approved, but not always.. i would try and find someone who has done this to get more accurate info. as for prelim years... you dont have to do them. they basically build up your resume if you dont get in the first time around. also people in other programs like anesthesia, rads etc. also sometimes do prelim years in surgery because they must do an intern year before starting thier programs as PGY 2's