Osteopathic student looking to match allo gen surg, 259 USMLE. How likely am I to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Percivall

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an osteopathic medical student, I have a 259 USMLE with minimal research. I am considering going into surgery and would prefer to match allo. What is the likelihood of matching at a good program, and further will being a DO affect my ability to subspecialize further in allopathic fellowships i.e. (vascular, CT, transplant, thoracics)?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just based on your Step 1 score, the curve from the 2014 NRMP Charting Outcomes suggests a chance between 55-60%. From what I understand, at least being an IMG continues to hurt your chances for fellowship, but I don't know about if being a DO does or not.

apply both allo and osteo. your scores a pretty decent but being a DO puts you at a disadvantage when applying to big allo programs. I wouldn't worry about fellowship now, your goal is to get into a good general surgery program, allo or osteo. I'm a DO, applied allo and didnt match first time, I'm currently in an osteo prog and im happy with my trainaing. Although your stats are better than mine. I worried too about fellowship but that is a much easier bridge to cross. dont make decision based on fellowship. remember, you will never get to that fellowship if you dont get into a general surgery residency.