Osteopathic vs. Allopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brienene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, I just read in another post that "the only people who care about the allopathic vs. osteopathic distinction are medical students, especially premed students."

Do people on this forum agree? Is there a real distinction out there between these two in terms of a) how the philosophy informs the practice and b) how physicians are regarded? Also, since there are so many more allopathic programs as opposed to osteopathic, it seems like the obvious choice to go for allopathic just given the range of choices...thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

brienene said:
so, I just read in another post that "the only people who care about the allopathic vs. osteopathic distinction are medical students, especially premed students."

Do people on this forum agree? Is there a real distinction out there between these two in terms of a) how the philosophy informs the practice and b) how physicians are regarded? Also, since there are so many more allopathic programs as opposed to osteopathic, it seems like the obvious choice to go for allopathic just given the range of choices...thoughts?

0.001% of patients will know the difference (then again most patients think chiropractors are doctors).

There is a small difference in philosophy, but nothing substantial. DOs are actually a little inconsistant about this, when defending their choice they'll point to the importance of all their special osteopathic training, but when it comes time to apply for residencies they'll apply for allo spots saying that a DO is the same thing as an MD. (personally I think the later is closer to the truth)

DO limits your choices slightly when it comes to residencies, most DOs will do some form of primary care (although there are plenty of exceptions...Head of tramau surgery here at a major academic medical center is a DO and a fine surgeon).

And some practicing physicians might look down on DOs...but its more that if the guy is a doofus they'll look at the DO after his name and say "ah, figures." But if you're a competent physician, as 99% of DOs are, then nobody cares.

I'll get the flame extinguisher.

Members don't see this ad :)
brienene said:

the brief summary: osteo can hurt your chances of getting a high power residency (probably not too many DOs at JHU IM) or matching into a highly selective field (like plastics), but once you're practicing nobody really cares

brienene said:

If you want to know if people other than premeds make a distinction, you really need to post someplace that gets read by other than premeds. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.