Osteopathic vs. Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to say that I want to practice medicine, and I am not asking this question to start a fight.

I honeslty need advise.

I feel whichever school i pick will make me an equally caring physician, but I want to know about residency and I'm worried about what my patients will say when I say that I'm a DO. I know that DO's are as smart/quick/sharp/etc, but I'm not sure if my patients will know that. If I go to a Caribbean school, they will never know where I went to school and I'll have a MD behind my name. Please help.

I have been accepted into three different programs:

1. Midwestern U--Chicago College of Osteopathic Med (An excellent program--I think)
2. Ross U (Caribbean--considered to be an excellent program)
3. St. Georges (Caribbean--consdiered to be an excellent program)

My first desire is to practice medicine. I am not exactly positive about what field I will pursue, but I am interested in many different internal med subspecialities.
I have always liked surgery, but I'm not sure if I want the lifestyle.

In terms of residency which option is better? I don't want to be limited once I decide which feild I want to go into. I appreciate your opinions, thanking you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

ALLOPATHIC (MD) residency options for both Island MDs and DOs are about the same. Both will have an equally difficult time matching to highly competitive fields, especially the surgical subspecialties.

The advantage a DO has is that he can do an OSTEOPATHIC (DO) residency, and there are many programs available such as orthopedic surgery, urology, etc.

Don't think your patients will know if you went to an Island school? Try this: go to the AMA website (www.ama-assn.org) and click on "DOCTOR FINDER." You'll learn how simple it is to find out where your doctor went to med school. I did, was annoyed that he fibbed, and I stopped seeing him.

W.

Hey Wannabe...

Do us all a favor..skip the d.o. route..you're not good enough for us! It's attitude's like yours that sour the d.o. rep, instead of strengthen it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GoBlue27, I know a lot about the osteopathic field and I am very excited for and about it. I knew that someone like you was going to take offense to my question and thats why I tried to make it clear that I had no intention of a fight. I honestly need advice because I am concerned about residency. I have never had the intention of going to an osteopathic school with the mindset that it is second best. Honestly I think its people like you who consider their decision as a backup. Most people who get ticked at questions like mine, ended up at a DO school because they couldn't cut it at a MD school. I have very qualified stats and I do expect to be accepted at a MD school. I would rather go to a DO school if I can be convinced that I will get to practice the kind of medicine I want. I also know that no matter which route I pick my class rank, board scores, and letters of rec will make a big difference.
If you've got a problem with your choice, don't take it out on me.
Also your attitude (which is common in many DO students) is what makes the DO profession look second best.

Another thing I don't think going to an Island school can be better than staying in the US for a medical education. I don't think the comparision is even close. But I want to know what residency directors think, and thats why I asked the question.

I don't want to make this into a fight, I just want advice.

Reactions: 1 user
hey goblue u are a biatch

wannabe, i had the same dilemma, but i realized that the DO's and MD are the freaking same, practically, U actually learn more as a Do which can only help your patient out more. Plus as a DO u can to stay in the country, im gonna be right in my home town which is good, instead of having to go to a hurricane ridden island where u can only take lke abt 100lbs of luggage with u, my damn steroe system is bigger than that, and i aint leaving that behind,

I had the same problem too until I shadowed a D.O family doc. I spent about a month with him and never, even new patients, did anyone ask what a DO was. I think the average patient will know you as "doctor", not as so-and-so MD or DO. And just from my own researching, it appears its easier for DOs to enter allopathic residencies than some non-U.S. MDs. Although it really depends on what kind of medicine you want to practice and how much you want to specialize. I hope this helps.

I honestly consider the two fields to be equivalent. I also think that both fields (md and do) can learn a lot from each other. But i'll save that for another topic.
I have not had the chance to shadow what I would consider a "proud I'm a DO" osteopath. The physician I shadowed was more "I wish I was a MD" osteopath.
But I still know that the two fields have alot more in common than different.
Also I agree, I rather stay in the US.

Thanks for your input. You guys/gals have given me assurance of my decision.

All others please add to this.

I am also going to try to get in touch with some residency directors about their opinions. Has anyone done this first hand?
I don't want to bother them now, because they are probably still interviewing. The match is sometime in March and I'll try after that.

Again, Thanks for your input.
Also the caribbean forum is giving me the same advice. I found this very interesting and assuring.

Originally posted by vdubpower:
hey goblue u are a biatch

wannabe, i had the same dilemma, but i realized that the DO's and MD are the freaking same, practically, U actually learn more as a Do which can only help your patient out more. Plus as a DO u can to stay in the country, im gonna be right in my home town which is good, instead of having to go to a hurricane ridden island where u can only take lke abt 100lbs of luggage with u, my damn steroe system is bigger than that, and i aint leaving that behind,

Wannabe Doc,

I would say that DOs have an advantage over FMGs in any residency program. What many people don't consider is the fact that there are far fewer DOs applying to any allopathic residency programs than FMGs. This is a guess based on many program directors I have met and past posts that I have read, but I am willing to guess than there is a ratio of betwen 50:1 and 100:1 of FMGs who apply versus DOs to any given residency program. There is also a significantly number of US MDs who apply than a US DO. The reason? Well, there are only 19 DO schools versus 125 US MD schools. A program usually gets the most applications from FMGs. Think about how many countries there are and the pool of FMGs that apply. There are many FMGs who didn't make it to a US residency and try again year after year. There are also practicing physicians from Foreign countries who try to get to the US by doing a residency. There are also recent grads from Forgeign Medical Schools that you are in the pool of FMGs. So, if a certain residency program only has one DO and two FMGs, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is easier for an FMG to get into that program. There could have been only 5 DO applicants, one got in, and the others ranked other programs higher. Whereas the two FMGS who got in could have been from a pool of 1000. This isn't an absurd number and is based on what one Anesthesia program told my classmate.

Many people don't realize that many of the DOs who want to specialize in surgery, wind up doing the DO match. The DO match occurs before the Allopathic match. It's kind of hard to pass up a spot in Orthopedic Surgery to take your chances in the Allopathic match. Once you match in the DO match, you are AUTOMATICALLY withdrawn from the MD match. Thus, for some it is not worth the gamble to not enter the DO match, because if you don't match in the MD match, you can't go back and get a DO spot. Does that make sense? Also, some DOs actually prefer to do a DO Ortho residency because the additional training in Musculoskeletal medicine is helpful for that field. I don't reall think OMM matters too much for other specialties. I could be wrong though.

When my classmates and I were interviewing, I didn't see many FMGs at all. Most of the people who I saw were DOs. I was told by several program directors that being a US grad made me a very strong candidate and that it was too bad more DOs didn't apply for their residency. If a program was particularly strong, they would take pride in the fact that they didn't have to take any FMGs that year. The main point is that there are very few DOs who match in the allopathic match because there are very few applicants to begin with. The reason is that there are only 19 schools, some opt to do the DO match, and there are virtually no DOs who didn't match and are applying for the second, third, or fourth time.

It would be interesting to see a statistic that addressed what percentage of DOs, US MDs, and FMGs matched into a program. That would be a more accurate assessment. There is no doubt in my mind that a US MD, all things being equal, has an advantage. I would say that this was more the case in the past and that advantage is definitely shrinking. Most of what it is based on is a program being unfamiliar with a DO. If you do a subinternship there, etc.. and they get to know you, the advantages quickly disappear. I hope that there is a program director or anyone who participates in the ranking who would comment on this idea that there are far fewer DO applicants than US MDs or FMGs.
This is a generalization but I would say that the standards for a US medical school (MD or DO) are much higher than most of the world. There is no doubt in my mind that wherever you go in the US, be it MD or DO, that you will receive better training that most other countries (this doesn't include Canada and some European countries).

Anyway, I didn't have a problem at all being a DO. I don't doubt that some do, but it certainly isn't the problem that many people think. Everywhere I interviewed, except prelims in medicine, I never came across a FMG. I have nothing against them, but this is what I came across. Also, if you want to do a residency in CA, it is extremely difficult for an FMG.

My feeling is that it will only get easier for DOs and it will only get worse for FMGs. This has been the trend for some time now. Due to funding and other reasons, it is VERY difficult for a FMG to get a residency spot. When I did my Urology rotation, there was a FMG (US Citizen), who couldn't get a residency spot (IM in CA) and wound up working as a medical assistant to the Urology group there.

Basically, if you are looking to do A residency, almost no DOs don't match. If you are really desperate you can try to go through the DO match, not match and then try the MD match, not match and then scramble for both MD and DO spots. I've never met or heard of a DO who didn't match. If you wanted to say be a surgeon, I would argue that it would be easier as a DO. If you wanted to get into a presitgious Ortho Residency, then you will have big problems. You have to remember though, it's not easy for a US MD to get a prestigious Ortho residency either. Remember, when you apply for a DO residency, the pool is actually really small. You are competing against US DOs only, at least half of which exclusively go through the MD match.

I know this was long-winded but I hope this helps. I think you would be making a big mistake going to a Foreign Medical school. The only reason would be due that you personally prefer the sound of MD after your name rather than DO. Believe me, you will have no shortage of patients. Even if you do go to a Foreign Medical School, if you do secure a US Residency spot, you won't have a problem finding patients. Good luck

vdubpower,

I've read several of your posts. Asking questions about which rap artist uses more dugs, etc.... Can you PLEASE post in a more professional manner? I find your language offensive. This is not meant to be an insult, but rather an honest assessment of your language and tone on this forum. You can disagree in a professional way.

That's a good question. I am a Foreign Med Grad from the Caribbean. The road to a GOOD US residency for an FMG is much more difficult to obtain than for a DO. I had to have very high board scores, and good LOR's from US clinical rotations to even get interviews. There are also many state legal licensing hassles that FMG's have to contend with that DO's don't. Over half of the class that I started with did NOT MAKE it. That type of attrition rate is unheard of in any DO or MD school in the states.

I have had to work harder always trying to prove myself, BUT, in the end this has made me a better doctor. I have made it into a top notch res. program with mainly US allopaths and some TOP DO's. I am the only FMG in my class. I have accorded equal respect from all of my colleagueas and the issue of where I went to med school IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE. I have MD behind my name, and that is all that matters to patients. While the road for me was harder than a DO (much), I am very happy that I am an MD. I do not suscribe to the DO OMM philosophy (as do not most of the DO's in my program). I never get asked in my clinic what the hell a DO is? There is still alot of widespread ignorance among patients concerning the DO. Some patients request MD's at our clinics, because they don't want to see an osteopath. Now, any well informed person knows there is no real difference in an MD from a DO, but unfortunately way to many patients still think this. I have never been asked where I went to school by anyone. My DO colleagues face these inane questions all the time. I have had the opportunity to train in Ireland, England and the States, and believe it or not that fact helped me more in separating myself come match time.

DO NOT think that everything is rosy for DO's and that they are on "perceived" equal footings with US MD GRADS, THEY ARE STILL FOR THE MOST PART NOT. This is unfortunate. My hospital gets some med students from DO schools and they usually out perform the MD students. My best friends in my program are DO's and they have as many prejudice stories as I. There is still ignorance and prejudice against DO's, even at my program which is DO friendly and where we have some superbly trained DO's. I think for any hard working student (DO, FMG, US MD), there will be a place in medicine for he or she. The least attractive and by far hardest route is the FMG route. I would not recommend it to you. If you have a DO acceptance, take it. The education is better. Go to a DO school because you want to, not because no MD school will take you. Those are the type of students who live in MD envy and it is foolish. They spend their entire careers justifying theur degree. Having said that, I would not trade my Foreign MD for a US DO degree EVER, now that I have attained a good residency and am on my way to a fellowship. That is just my opinion. Going to a DO school will in general avail you to many more opportunitites than an FMG MD. I will make it to where I want to go, but I am sorry to say many of my classmates didn't. Good luck.

Okay, here's my $0.02

If all you say is that your first desire is to practice medicine, then what's the problem? You can practice medicine as a D.O. By saying that 'all you want to do is be a doctor,' make sure you aren't shooting yourself in the foot. I mean, there are a ton of horrible doctors out there. Don't be one. Go to a school that teaches you MEDICINE and go out there and practice it.

I'm not trying to bash, but if you are concerned about what a patient says to you about being a D.O. - don't be one. If you are going to worry about what other doctors/students say about you going to St. Georges - don't go. If you are concerned what malpractice lawyers are going to say when you are sued - don't go to a crummy school. It's up to you to decide what a crummy school is and DON'T GO THERE. Because whatever route you take, you're going to get opinions. You might as well be good at what you do.

I find it hard to believe that you are simply 'trying to become a loving caring doctor' when you concern yourself with titles. I'm not bashing you - I was there, too. I'm simply asking that you don't kid yourself (or try to kid us) and say that it's all about the medicine. Because if it was, then you'd know that Carribean schools are only good for making money. You'd go to an Osteopathic school in a second and practice medicine.

I am going to attend DO school this summer. I have three friends in the Carribean right now, and they tell me that only a small handful come out to be great doctors. The rest don't care. Make sure you care. Don't just act like you do.

I think that one should honestly have pride in their profession. I never considered Osteopathic medicine in the past, but now that I'm going there, you can be sure that I'm going to take pride in the profession and enjoy what I do. It's not a crime. So my advice? Find out which school teaches you the best medicine, go there, and be proud of what you do.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Sorry, never intended to offend. I just don't know enough about it, and all that I have heard about it is bashing from DO's who hate to have to do it for their boards. I have yet to meet a DO who uses that in their practice. Sorry but that is the truth.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their input. Leotigers, you've brought up many points that I have never considered before. They all make sense, and I would love to see some accurate %'s one day.
Kidterrific, you also are smashing me with reality and that is cool. I agree with the points that you have made.
I am not going into medicine just because I want to help people. I can't say this in an interview, but Medicine has tons of great benefits (which may not exist when we get out there). These benefits include salary, status, freedom, challenge, people interaction, etc. I chose medicine because it is a career in which I think I will be happy.
But my point for the topic is: Which route will get me the residency I want?

My father is a MD, my brother in law is a DO, and a good friend is a FMG-MD.
I have gotten a lot of advice from all three. The two MDs say USMD is best. The DO says pick the best medical school.

At this point, I want to go to CCOM(DO), because I don't want to go to some romote island and get a crappy education.

The reason I posted this topic is if I would have gotten an overwhelming amount of people telling me Caribbean is best, then I would have considered toughing it out for two years. But it doesn't seem that way, and I honestly think CCOM is better than some of the MD schools I have interviewed at.

But I still appreciate your (and everyone's) advice. I know this is helping many other people, and I have learned a lot about medicine at these forums. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a web site which posts the % of usmd, do, fmg who got accepted to the residency programs in the states.
i don't have the website address, does anyone out there have this info?

as far as i remember, the usmd was above 90%, do was in high 80%, and fmg was near 50-60%. sorry i don't have the exact figure.

Now that you mention it, I to remeber seeing a similar website. If i remember correctly it was some sort of governmental agency. I don't remeber what though. Does anyone know?

I found the website, It is at the USMLE homepage. Just go check out the results for the last test. It will tell you how many MDs, DOs, FMGs took the test and how many passed. It also tells you how many are 1st time takers. That is the interesting figure. About 50% of FMGs are repeat takers. whereas around 90% of MDs and DOs are first time takers.

I also appreciate everyone's input

I do not normally post replies but I feel that it is needed in this instance...

I am a 4th year and about to graduate from CCOM. I read many of the posts on this site, have worked at many different institutions with medical students from various schools and I'll share with you what I've learned.

First and foremost, this decision which you are currently making is a very large one which will affect THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY. Take others advice, process it and then realize that this is an extremely personal decision which you should make on your own.

I will comment mostly on DO school since this is my experience---

i believe that no matter where you go you will choose your destiny. You will determine the path you take, the degree is just a stepping stone to get you there. Do not let it define you, this leads to problems. For example, there are way too many DO students (most of them who post on this very site) who are bitter and hostile for unknown reasons and may be described as MD want to bes. They are letting the DO vs MD thing get to them when NO ONE ELSE REALLY CARES ABOUT IT. In the end, they will be judged by others on the basis of clinical skills, personality and overall knowledge. Then there are MD students (from the carrib. or otherwise) who may skate by and think that all is well because they will be an MD. However, they too will be judged on clinical skills, personality and medical knowledge. If they lack these skills and you shine, who the **** cares what degree you have . FORGET ABOUT IT... just be concerned with being a GREAT physician. MD or DO. Thats all you patients will care about, trust me.

I have had a good education- all medical schools have there shortcomings, and no matter where you go you will fare well if you are self motivated and are interested in medicine. Basic science at CCOM is solid, you will learn a lot because you are worked to the bone. This is universal. So the difference comes down to clinical rotations--
At CCOM your rotations are set up for you-there is a standard curriculum and oyu set up your electives. This is not the case at the Carrib. schools. Not only do many of the students drop out in the first two years (because I have heard the basic sciences are not all that) but they do not set you up with rotations and it takes many students five to six years to graduate because they can't get rotations. That sounds like a nightmare to me....

there are many other things to say on this subject but this post is getting long so I'll end with this. From what I have seen of Caribean grads is that they can be just as bright as anyone else if motivated, I have though seen a much more ambivelent attitude (in general) to patient care. It just does not seem that most of these students have the same I want to help people kind of attitude that makes one empathetic when dealing with patients. This is just my opinion.

As a DO (or Carib.MD) you will be able to do what you want-- if you work hard and are persistent. Dont worry about all that now, just decide where you feel the most comfortable, and be proud that you have gotten this far.

youll do fine either way

supyo and wannabedoc, I am happy to read your comments. I chose to attend CCOM this coming fall and based on your comments I feel that I share your thinking. Supyo, I totally agree with your statement. Wow, I am happy that I chose CCOM, I can't wait to start.

im in (hopefully) my last semester in the caribbean, and take it from me if you have the chance to stay in america, stay. theres no jetskis and beach parties down here. and i have been here way longer than any human should.

Too bad they didn't teach you not to bump threads that are ten years old.

Lord almighty.... another zombie thread from years ago!!

rise_from_your_grave.png

This thread is now about the Sega classic: Altered Beast. What was your favorite transformation? I enjoyed the Werebear.

you mean unclothed muscly man isnt a legit option?

weredragon all the way. besides the fact that i was prob 7 when this came out and dragons were everything to me.... IT COULD FLY!!!

plus i think it spits double helixes. And anything that is nerdy in retrospect is cooler now.

I'd like to say that I want to practice medicine, and I am not asking this question to start a fight.

I honeslty need advise.

I feel whichever school i pick will make me an equally caring physician, but I want to know about residency and I'm worried about what my patients will say when I say that I'm a DO. I know that DO's are as smart/quick/sharp/etc, but I'm not sure if my patients will know that. If I go to a Caribbean school, they will never know where I went to school and I'll have a MD behind my name. Please help.

I have been accepted into three different programs:

1. Midwestern U--Chicago College of Osteopathic Med (An excellent program--I think)
2. Ross U (Caribbean--considered to be an excellent program)
3. St. Georges (Caribbean--consdiered to be an excellent program)

My first desire is to practice medicine. I am not exactly positive about what field I will pursue, but I am interested in many different internal med subspecialities.
I have always liked surgery, but I'm not sure if I want the lifestyle.

In terms of residency which option is better? I don't want to be limited once I decide which feild I want to go into. I appreciate your opinions, thanking you in advance.

Over 98% of DO's match at an AMERICAN RESIDENCY PROGRAM. A DO who graduates last in his class will match somewhere in the US. What % of FMG's match?...(ALOT lower)...if You graduate the bottom half of your carribean class...what is the chance you will match anywhere?...I think going Caribb is a MUCH MUCH BIGGER RISK

Over 98% of DO's match at an AMERICAN RESIDENCY PROGRAM. A DO who graduates last in his class will match somewhere in the US. What % of FMG's match?...(ALOT lower)...if You graduate the bottom half of your carribean class...what is the chance you will match anywhere?...I think going Caribb is a MUCH MUCH BIGGER RISK

Since you're citing the first year match rate (I think.... ) then the first year match rate for carribbeans is about 40%. Its about 50-55% for the big 4. This is including the mass "cuts" that happen around the last few 'semesters' when they begin disallowing people to sit for the boards. but even then, those who do take the boards have a very hard time being seen as equals to any DO and have a somewhat hard time matching at all if they dont make a great impression on the rotations.

Despite what you are told, being really dedicated will *NOT* be enough to get you a residency out of the carib. Life cant be all sunshine, rainbows and equality. The situation IMGs face is proof that life is fair since the qualified ones still see so much discrimination that the cliche comment "if your dedicated enough youll get somewhere" is not always true... even with sufficient talent.

BTW: stay on topic. This thread is now about altered beast.

Since you're citing the first year match rate (I think.... ) then the first year match rate for carribbeans is about 40%. Its about 50-55% for the big 4. This is including the mass "cuts" that happen around the last few 'semesters' when they begin disallowing people to sit for the boards. but even then, those who do take the boards have a very hard time being seen as equals to any DO and have a somewhat hard time matching at all if they dont make a great impression on the rotations.

Despite what you are told, being really dedicated will *NOT* be enough to get you a residency out of the carib. Life cant be all sunshine, rainbows and equality. The situation IMGs face is proof that life is fair since the qualified ones still see so much discrimination that the cliche comment "if your dedicated enough youll get somewhere" is not always true... even with sufficient talent.

Who are you trying to convince -- the OP from 11 years ago or the poster above you who basically said the same thing?

Do you mind linking me to the website where you found that 98% figure? I've been looking for it and I can't seem to find it... I have bad google-ing skills haha

This is the difference. (Yes I know the thread is old, but the issue isn't)

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Money:
The difference in training before full licensure between a DO and a IMG can equal a two year difference in moonlighting income, also known as a two year difference in which your loans accrue. And I am talking about GradPlus loans for the DO vs Private loans for the IMG.

Safety Net:
Observe the "No limit on COMLEX" attempts for licensure. Nice to know you aren't screwed if it turns out you're one of the small percentage of people that has to take COMLEX 2 or 3 multiple times to pass. No it's not for every state, but it works for ME (hint, hint).

Opportunity:
DO residencies that are solely for DO's, if they so choose, whereas IMG's get to compete with a huge pool of everybody else. This advantage is a little murkier because there is supposedly a huge range in the quality of the residencies but ask any AOA boarded Ortho or EM or IM or (insert specialty) physician what they're making and it won't be any different from their ABM boarded counterparts. You also have the opportunity, for example, to apply to something like orthopedics in the DO match and if it doesn't fly, simply wait until the MD match to match into your backup specialty instead of freaking out and scrambling into a prelim year. Can't match MD? Well then you can scramble into either a DO or MD internship, and the DO internship scramble is possible without even doing the DO match.

I'm a second year and honestly, the more I find out about this stuff, the happier I am about the excellent choice I made.

If a premed facing these two options (DO vs Caribbean) chooses Caribbean after reading this, they are ******ed. Yes there are some instances of people transferring from St George to say, Drexel, and if you end up one of those people, then all the more power to you. But if you don't want to be ****ting bricks on simply MATCHING after spending 300k+ on a medical degree, then DO is the way to go.

Last edited:
Anyways, I'm going to have a good laugh the next time a premed tells me they're heading to the Caribbean for the MD initials. Then I'm pooping on his/her face because they might as well get used to it from the get go.

you mean unclothed muscly man isnt a legit option?

weredragon all the way. besides the fact that i was prob 7 when this came out and dragons were everything to me.... IT COULD FLY!!!

plus i think it spits double helixes. And anything that is nerdy in retrospect is cooler now.

I never could beat that game. Same with Streets of Rage 2. Damn the 90's and their limited amount of lives and no saves.

I never could beat that game. Same with Streets of Rage 2. Damn the 90's and their limited amount of lives and no saves.

Back when games were a challenge...unless of course you had one of these bad boys!!

Gamegenie.jpg

2001_World_Series.png

Isn't it cool how the logo is so futuristic? This makes sense, because it's the 2001 world series - you know, new millennium.

Isn't it cool how the logo is so futuristic? This makes sense, because it's the 2001 world series - you know, new millennium.

this thread was dead! Then it rose from the dead. I changed the topic to altered beast so as to kill it. I was sure that destroyed the brain stem and killed the zombie thread! and yet here it is a week later. back to life again.

I just can't believe someone would play this card
gallery2063317264.jpg

this thread was dead! Then it rose from the dead. I changed the topic to altered beast so as to kill it. I was sure that destroyed the brain stem and killed the zombie thread! and yet here it is a week later. back to life again.

I just can't believe someone would play this card
gallery2063317264.jpg

Once I posted the Game Genie it gave this thread unlimited lives.

Last edited:
BTW: stay on topic. This thread is now about altered beast.
:laugh:

I remember bringing home Genesis with Altered Beast...I beat it in 3 hours. I was a very intense gamer as a child.

I managed to get Golden Axe for free too! Those were the days.

O, and it's "Wise Fwom Youw Gwave".

I do not normally post replies but I feel that it is needed in this instance...

I am a 4th year and about to graduate from CCOM. I read many of the posts on this site, have worked at many different institutions with medical students from various schools and I'll share with you what I've learned.

First and foremost, this decision which you are currently making is a very large one which will affect THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY. Take others advice, process it and then realize that this is an extremely personal decision which you should make on your own.

I will comment mostly on DO school since this is my experience---

i believe that no matter where you go you will choose your destiny. You will determine the path you take, the degree is just a stepping stone to get you there. Do not let it define you, this leads to problems. For example, there are way too many DO students (most of them who post on this very site) who are bitter and hostile for unknown reasons and may be described as MD want to bes. They are letting the DO vs MD thing get to them when NO ONE ELSE REALLY CARES ABOUT IT. In the end, they will be judged by others on the basis of clinical skills, personality and overall knowledge. Then there are MD students (from the carrib. or otherwise) who may skate by and think that all is well because they will be an MD. However, they too will be judged on clinical skills, personality and medical knowledge. If they lack these skills and you shine, who the **** cares what degree you have . FORGET ABOUT IT... just be concerned with being a GREAT physician. MD or DO. Thats all you patients will care about, trust me.

I have had a good education- all medical schools have there shortcomings, and no matter where you go you will fare well if you are self motivated and are interested in medicine. Basic science at CCOM is solid, you will learn a lot because you are worked to the bone. This is universal. So the difference comes down to clinical rotations--
At CCOM your rotations are set up for you-there is a standard curriculum and oyu set up your electives. This is not the case at the Carrib. schools. Not only do many of the students drop out in the first two years (because I have heard the basic sciences are not all that) but they do not set you up with rotations and it takes many students five to six years to graduate because they can't get rotations. That sounds like a nightmare to me....

there are many other things to say on this subject but this post is getting long so I'll end with this. From what I have seen of Caribean grads is that they can be just as bright as anyone else if motivated, I have though seen a much more ambivelent attitude (in general) to patient care. It just does not seem that most of these students have the same I want to help people kind of attitude that makes one empathetic when dealing with patients. This is just my opinion.

As a DO (or Carib.MD) you will be able to do what you want-- if you work hard and are persistent. Dont worry about all that now, just decide where you feel the most comfortable, and be proud that you have gotten this far.

youll do fine either way

Like some of you guys on this thread, I was obsessed with this DO vs MD complex while I was in school. (westernU class of 2002) I remember being so intimidated by the MD med students from Loma Linda Univ. while we were on Gen. Surgery rotations at the county Hospt. But turns out.... our training is pretty damn good, considering all that time "wasted" learning and relearning OMM/OMT. By my 4th year ,when I returned to county doing SICU with LLU students, I was kicking major league @$$ and taking no prisoners. The LLU attending was so impressed he asked if he could write me a letter!
Then i did my anesthesia at Tufts in Boston... the land of John Harvard!! I remember doing a pain rotation at Beth Isreal Deaconess (one of the three large Harvard teaching hospitals) where the RNs didn't even know what a DO was... are you an optometrist??
Now i'm in private practice in So Cal in a group of 13 Anesthesiologists... most of whom are from Loma Linda or UCLA. No one really cares if you are a DO in our practice!! They just know that I work hard, that i'm safe and competent, that i'm a teamplayer, and that I'm Board Certified. (sorry about the run on sentence) You dont get to bill for more if you're an MD.

SO just study hard and let tomorrow worry about tomorrow. This MD/DO stuff doesn't really matter.

Another thing.... One major factor that determines how you practice (at least in anesthesiology) is where you did your residency. Even among my MD partners, the guys who trained from UCLA do it differently from guys from Loma Linda. There is also a DO who trained at the Cleveland Clinic who does things the Cleveland Clinic way.... and so on and so on.

Best of luck to all!!!

Last edited:
Now that brings up some good memories. :thumbup:

Second 10yr thread bump I've seen today.

Thread: Meet Your Doom!!!!!

Topic change in 3.......2.......1......

Who is a better Bill:
Bill Paxton or Bill Pullman

:confused:

I met some Caribbean students during interview for Internal medicine Residency program. They told me they have to apply to 60-80 programs to get descent amount of interviews. However, few of them told me they did get offer for prematch too.

I met some Caribbean students during interview for Internal medicine Residency program. They told me they have to apply to 60-80 programs to get descent amount of interviews. However, few of them told me they did get offer for prematch too.

Yes, yes, but what level were they able to obtain on Altered Beast? That is what it really comes down too.

Aliens and Frailty...

Independence Day and Lake Placid

There is no question, man. Game over.

I realize what you're getting at... I do... but Pullman survived the alien invasion, while paxton did not. I think that alone decides that this will, as always, be Pullman's independence day.

Oh also.... spaceballs. This invalidates every terrible career decisions (Casper, A league of their own, while you were sleeping, Mr. Wrong) that pullman made.

Pullman just has none of the cool factor that Paxton does.

+1. Apollo 13 people, Apollo 13. Absolutely no other actor could have played the role of that other guy next to Tom Hanks better.

bill_paxton2.jpg

+1. Apollo 13 people, Apollo 13. Absolutely no other actor could have played the role of that other guy next to Tom Hanks better.

bill_paxton2.jpg

First of all: How dare hocapoca try hijacking this discussion.

Secondly: I wish to remain neutral on this issue since I brought it up, but I wanted to throw out some more info for y'all's consideration...

In addition to the achievements listed above, Mr. Paxton also has been inside a tornado or two and he was part of the highest grossing movie ever, playing alongside the film's overly saucy geriatric patient (READ - Titanic).

Thirdly: I want to give Pullman his credit because no one could have delivered the speech to the pilots as he did...a true patriot.

First of all: How dare hocapoca try hijacking this discussion.

Secondly: I wish to remain neutral on this issue since I brought it up, but I wanted to throw out some more info for y'all's consideration...

In addition to the achievements listed above, Mr. Paxton also has been inside a tornado or two and he was part of the highest grossing movie ever, playing alongside the film's overly saucy geriatric patient (READ - Titanic).

Thirdly: I want to give Pullman his credit because no one could have delivered the speech to the pilots as he did...a true patriot.

Indeed. Lets re-live that moment, shall we?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdB8gCMcXI[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.