Osteopathy delemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheon

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching Osteopathy for about 3 months now. I have been aware of the basic tenents of oseteopathy for several years. I think I have seen that the focuses I have as pertaining to medicine are more congruent with those of the Osteopathic profession than that of the allopathic route.

With all that said, I went to a small historically black college. On several occasions I have found myself forced prove myself as competent where some of my peers did not (for whatever reason). While I was able to do so with little or no extra effort, the idea of having to do so, at times, was at best unfortunate and at worst disheartening.

Now here I sit at a crossroad in my career with the idea of going into a school that is better suited for me, but has a distinct likelihood that I will find myself once again having to "prove myself" where others do not.

Am I being shallow because I have a reluctance (which in my mind seems to be legitamate) to knowingly put myself in that postion once again?

If anyone has any encouraging words, (even if they are harsh) I would appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad.

What type of medicine do you want to practice? If you are aiming for the primary care route, I don't think you should have to "prove" yourself too much. However, I think the specialty route may be a little (though by no means impossible) tougher row to hoe.

As many have posted here before, there are many DO's in very respectable positions at many high powered institutions. But in all honesty, one does not rise to high levels without going through some type of proving ground. We will all (MD and DO students alike) have to prove ourselves at various points in our careers, so if you aren't up to the challenge, stay off the field.

If you know that you want to go the DO route then I would do it. I would hate to lead my life so concerned about what other people thought about me and my decisions. Are other people defining you or are you defining yourself? Who has to live your life anyway? If you go the MD route and really want to be a DO then you'll be letting others decide for you and will be that much more likely to continue that pattern in the future.

People may judge others in the short run on superficial things like where you went to school or what degree you have, but what will mean much more is what you actually do with yourself and not hollow appearances or assumed prestige. I was always surprised how far I got in some organizations by doing the basic things right, like showing up on time, meeting deadlines, and showing proper courtesy. Believe it or not, if you consistently do what you feel is right by your own ethic the "social recognition" craved by some people will come anyway. The difference will be that yours is truly deserved.