Osteopathy in Europe?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by milunn, Mar 6, 2000.

1. milunn

milunn Member

I am very interested in Osteopathic medicine, but wondered if the philosophy spread to other parts of the word. I guess it is just a random question.
    --just curious I guess

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Osteopathy has spread to other parts of the world, but only osteopathic medicine is in the US.

The point is only DOs trained in American DO schools are full physicians and surgeons. DOs trained in foreign DO schools are sort of like chiropractors.

Tim of New York City.

4. EZEK

EZEK Member

You're answer is only partially correct. While most foreign DO's are not full physicians however they are not chiropractors by any stretch of the imagination, just ask one of them. In England some of the MDs study at one of the schools to get the osteopathic training. In Germany, Austria and France there a large number of MDs which are taking osteopathic training. The faculty from PCOM fly over to Germany to teach the MDs osteopathic principles and practice as well as others. American DOs are accepted in the European Union due to the efforts of Peter Adler-Michaelson, an American D.O. who teaches at PCOM.

5. Your high captain will put an end to that!!

Remember, they may take our lives, but not our FRRREEEEEEDDDOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!