Osteopathy vs. Allopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFMedic

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a paramedic in Oakland and SF, CA for 8 years and am exploring the possibility of medical school to become an ED physician. A premed advisor recommended looking into DO school as an alternative to traditional MD school. Could you please explain the primary differences between the two? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just check out the osteopathic.com home page. There, you will find a pollished answer to your question without conjecture.

How are things in California? I was a firefighter in San Jose for 10 years and a paramedic for the last four. When I started considering medical school my "guidance" counselor also told me to consider DO, nursing school, and PA school because I would probably not get into medical school. Fortunately, she was wrong. I am currently a first year medical student in Pennsylvania. There is a second year at my school who was a firefighter/paramedic in San Diego and I know a captain from Santa Clara County Fire who is in his 3rd or 4th year in Wisconsin...it's not unheard of! My point is...if you want to be an M.D. then go for it

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited October 05, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you might want to consider DO school if you can't get into "medical school".

Ouch that hurts.

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

Yes, TONEM, I am glad you got into MEDICAL SCHOOL instead of PA or DO school. It must have been a small miracle, no doubt... That doesn't mean you are going to make it THROUGH medical school, though. Perhaps you should have stuck to the "fake" medical school and gone DO.

Hey everybody. TONEM is probably trollin' this site. Don't waste your time responding to this stuff.

Sheesh! I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes...(I apologize if I offended anyone.) I have no doubt that osteopatic "medical" school is just as difficult as the "allopathic" version. I am also sure that D.O and M.D. are pretty much equivalent. I was just trying to share my experience. When I approached a "guidance" counselor four years ago...it was her (not me) that suggested I "lower" (in her opinion - and exact words)my sights. At the time I didn't even know that there were different (but equal) kinds of doctors. Again, I apologize to anyone I might have offended in my careless attempt to be helpful. Peace.

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited September 30, 1999).]

Such harsh words from all of you. Excuse me whilst I wipe the tears from my eyes. SFMedic, if you decide to explore both MD and DO programs you should check out Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine on Mare Island (in Vallejo). It is turning out to be a nice program and it is located right in your backyard. The website isnt much yet(www.sfcom.edu), so you may wish to just visit in person. I am under military scholarship there, so when I graduate I will be practicing medicine full time in the Navy along with my MD colleagues, possibly in the emergency department on ship or in a naval hospital.

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

Here's a novel idea. How about exploring osteopathic medicine (as you are already doing) and deciding to study it ONLY IF you have a sincere interest in osteopathic medicine and NOT because you fail to get into an allopathic program.

My profession has been around for over 100 years and we have a tremendous amount to offer patients. Either decide to put in the extra effort to learn osteopathic medicine, or fix your sites on an MD school and don't look back.

Regardless, good luck to you!!

ggulick.gif

I think you guys should lighten up on Tonem. I'm sure he's not "trolling" or whatever the slang might be these days. Why do you expect sensitivity and awareness from a first year medical student in an allopathic school? Most likely he's never been exposed to anything else but allopathy, and like most lay people, he will need exposure to new ideas to accept and respect them. There's no need to get all upset over some statement because neither Tonem's statement nor his guidance counselor's will ever prevent anyone from practicing medicine - and isn't the privilege of practicing is all that really matters in the end? I can tell you one thing, I sure as heck didn't respect osteopathic medicine because in fact, I knew nothing about it before I was exposed to it. At least Tonem's guidance counselor had been aware of it because mine wasn't. Her idea might not be completely correct or palatable to your sensibility, but give her time. Perhaps she or someone like her will one day discover that she's under the care of a DO, and only then will she get the complete picture. Relax and know who you are.

I didn't mean to blame Tonem. I know it wasn't his fault, I was a premed once, and know what premeds think.

I do blame the AOA though for lack of public awareness. Its getting better though. Hopefully things will continue to improve.

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

Sorry for the quick reaction.

I guess I've spent too much time on TPR site watching threads go on endlessly over nothing.

Tolerance and acceptance are desired by those involved in osteopathic medicine and we should be just as willing to show them ourselves.

Phillip

the primary differences can be found at osteopathic.com. for further detailed differences read the DOs, you will learn more about osteopathic medicine, consequently learning the differences.

as for the DOs being lower is because people are ignorant. if they have a doc on ER or any of those medical shows people will learn about DOs and also learn that they are equal. also, people who know about DOs think it is alternative medicine, which scares people. it only brings an extra way to solve a patient's problem, nothing alternative.

young guy np
nirav

Thank you everyone for your helpful replys. People seem to be sensetive about the perception that DOs provide a lower standard of care. I would have never imagined that this was the case. Evaluating the patient as a whole seems like a good practice. Tonem, I think that my adviser was trying to make me be a little more open minded and to inform me that there are different ways to practice medicine. Thank you for your encouragement as a fellow medic --> Other than being extremely crowded the Bay area is still great!

I guess that I don't know what tonem said that was so offensive. It appears that he just does not know exactly what a DO is. He knew that he wanted to be a doctor, and like all of us before we understood that a DO was a doctor and equivalent to MD just different, he thought that the only way to achieve this was to become an MD. He then said that his ADVISOR said that he should consider DO, PA, or nursing school. All this did was further his thought that the only way he could be a doctor was to become an MD. He was showing her possible bias or maybe just lack of info not his (bias that is). He never overtly made a comment or even an inference that DO is somehow inferior, he was just speaking from his level of understanding. I have heard a lot about the need to increase the level of understanding of what a DO is and does. People are always askign for ways that the AOA can increase awareness, and many feel that they are dropping the ball. Well it seems that we are dropping the ball. We talk a lot about how as a DO, the emphasis is on the human side of medicine. From the fact that Tonem is here and offering advice and encouragement to those trying to get into school, he exhibits the same kind of caring spirit that we all would claim are do important in a doctor. I am not saying this to attack or offend anyone b/c this site has been a great source for me, and has moved me beyond seeing DO school as "just an alternative to MD schools" to my first option. I have learned so much, and appreciate all of the comments and insights, but I jsut thought that it would be better to give people the benefit of the doubt and give them the time, or at least the opportunity to learn what DO is all about. I hope you stay Tonem, b/c I for one am interested in your perspectives and hope that you can learn a little about do's your brother in medicine.