• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Osteoporosis Screening

thinkenergy

7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2009
  1. Medical Student
    Let's say:

A 59 yo Caucasian female comes in for an annual checkup, she is chronic smoker 40 pack years, her BMI is 21, and her mother had an osteoporosis related hip fracture at age 67, would you recommend DEXA scan right now?

Case files says that USPSTF recommends DEXA for women at age 60 instead the typical 65 if she has risk factors. I looked up the current USPSTF guidelines, which was updated in 2011, they actually recommended all females < 60 with 10-year risk greater than that of a 65 Caucasian female w/o any risk factors. USPSTF uses FRAX tool to estimates 10year risks.

So for my questions: should the physician recommend DEXA now or at age 65?

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 28, 2004
    Toledo, Ohio
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      Absolutely. Medicare is placing a very high emphasis on osteoporosis right now. As an orthopod, if I counsel someone that comes in for something else that is in that age group about osteo, I can charge for it.

I think it would be paid for.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.