OSU-CHS vs. WVCOM vs. LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill_Brasky

To Bill Brasky!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a question buried in this, but I figure I'll just talk about my situation and grab comments as they come. I'm a senior at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. My family lives about 2 hours away in Midland. My stats are GPA 3.38 Science-GPA 2.98 MCAT Bio-9 Phys-9 VR-11 Writing-S. I'll graduate with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in History. I'm 24. I've done research with HHMI, and had extensive shadowing.
I'm really excited because I just found out that I got into WVCOM yesterday!! I loved the school, and really really really want to do the PBL. The only negatives are that the out of state tuition is really bad so I'll have to do private loans, and its really far from the fam. I should get the official letter in the mail this Monday.
I interviewed at LECOM-Erie last week. I called yesterday and they said that they have made a decision about me, but that due to procedural stuff I shouldn't expect a letter for 3 weeks, way past the time that my $2k deposit from WVCOM is due. I might like LECOM a little better because of the location, I used to live in the sticks of Bradford, PA close to Erie and I have alot of family up there. But I think I liked the school at WVCOM a little better. I am thinking about writing a letter to LECOM asking them to fax my decision or something just so I'll know as early as possible, but I am afraid of angering the admission gods, especially because I think I wiffed one of the questions in the interview and think my chances of getting in are only 50-49. (1% chance of my head imploding).
On Good Friday I interview at Oklahoma State's school! I'm really excited about interviewing there also. My cousin is a grad of PCOM doing residency in TX and she says she hears great stuff about OSU all the time and that it has a fantastic reputation for producing great doctors. It's also alot closer to the fam and friends. However, since I'm a Texas resident, and my science GPA is less than stellar, and its so late in the season, I'm kinda going into the process thinking that the odds of me getting in might be extremely small. This is nice in a way because it takes pressure off.
Technically I am still in the running for an interview offer at PCOM or CCOM, but I think that is unlikely considering the aforementioned science GPA and the lateness.
In a big way, I really can't lose. I'm ecstatic at the possibility of going to WVCOM. And having one school in the bag is a huge relief. But the process is still grinding on and its making me a little stressed. Anyone have any advice about which school they think is best (I realize that this is very subjective) or interview tips, or experiences they would like to share or condemnations of me? Drop me a response.

Bill Brasky, future OMS
"Bill Brasky drives an ice-cream truck covered in human skulls!"
P.S. My cousin says that the private loans might not be such big deal, PCOM's tuition is huge as well and her husband went to law school so they said that the huge debt looks intimidating but you just get used to being poor for awhile after school, knowing that sooner or later it won't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Bill_Brasky said:
I'm not sure if there is a question buried in this, but I figure I'll just talk about my situation and grab comments as they come. I'm a senior at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. My family lives about 2 hours away in Midland. My stats are GPA 3.38 Science-GPA 2.98 MCAT Bio-9 Phys-9 VR-11 Writing-S. I'll graduate with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in History. I'm 24. I've done research with HHMI, and had extensive shadowing.
I'm really excited because I just found out that I got into WVCOM yesterday!! I loved the school, and really really really want to do the PBL. The only negatives are that the out of state tuition is really bad so I'll have to do private loans, and its really far from the fam. I should get the official letter in the mail this Monday.
I interviewed at LECOM-Erie last week. I called yesterday and they said that they have made a decision about me, but that due to procedural stuff I shouldn't expect a letter for 3 weeks, way past the time that my $2k deposit from WVCOM is due. I might like LECOM a little better because of the location, I used to live in the sticks of Bradford, PA close to Erie and I have alot of family up there. But I think I liked the school at WVCOM a little better. I am thinking about writing a letter to LECOM asking them to fax my decision or something just so I'll know as early as possible, but I am afraid of angering the admission gods, especially because I think I wiffed one of the questions in the interview and think my chances of getting in are only 50-49. (1% chance of my head imploding).
On Good Friday I interview at Oklahoma State's school! I'm really excited about interviewing there also. My cousin is a grad of PCOM doing residency in TX and she says she hears great stuff about OSU all the time and that it has a fantastic reputation for producing great doctors. It's also alot closer to the fam and friends. However, since I'm a Texas resident, and my science GPA is less than stellar, and its so late in the season, I'm kinda going into the process thinking that the odds of me getting in might be extremely small. This is nice in a way because it takes pressure off.
Technically I am still in the running for an interview offer at PCOM or CCOM, but I think that is unlikely considering the aforementioned science GPA and the lateness.
In a big way, I really can't lose. I'm ecstatic at the possibility of going to WVCOM. And having one school in the bag is a huge relief. But the process is still grinding on and its making me a little stressed. Anyone have any advice about which school they think is best (I realize that this is very subjective) or interview tips, or experiences they would like to share or condemnations of me? Drop me a response.

Bill Brasky, future OMS
"Bill Brasky drives an ice-cream truck covered in human skulls!"
P.S. My cousin says that the private loans might not be such big deal, PCOM's tuition is huge as well and her husband went to law school so they said that the huge debt looks intimidating but you just get used to being poor for awhile after school, knowing that sooner or later it won't be a problem.

Hey Bill, good luck on your interview at OSU. I'm a Texas resident also, and didn't expect to hear from them either.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about OSU, if you would like to PM me.

If you do get in, it should be your first choice. I really do like it here. I went to Baylor for undergrad, and grew up in Dallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I once saw him scissor kick Angela Landsbury.

go to OSU.

That's easy OSU