OSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_456

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now what?

Members don't see this ad.

WHOOOOHOOOO

It feels good to be accepted to OSU.... I am soo excited!

Got my letter today.... when did everyone get theirs?

DrDad

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I make a suggestion and get quick action! ;)

You guys need to enjoy yourselves between now and August. Try to get together before school starts so that you'll know a few names and places when you go to orientation. :D

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

I got my letter today as well and am already working on enjoying myself. Finals are quickly approaching, yet I have come down with a severe case of the procrastination bug; much more than usual, in fact. Oh well, all is well now that FedEx has come...

I totally know that feeling....:)

I am just excited to get to OSU next year...

it, I am sure, will be a difficult transition but I am sure it will be worth it.

TO ALL WHO INTEND TO ATTEND OSU

lets get to know each other somewhat...

I will start

I am a father of 3 and husband of a beautiful wife
my desire to practice a core specialty and eventually become a medical missionary
I am a non-trad student

And I really am excited about ORANGE

I am a 20 year old male;

I am going to be finishing TU in 3 years so I guess that's non-traditional too (B.S. in Biological Science);

My current desire is to be a DO, we'll see what happens after that when we get there;

I am currently engaged, the date is May 15, 2004 which is exactly one week after my graduation from TU;

I look forward to getting to know you all more.

Anyone who interviewed on the 21st of November, I was one of your guides. I hope that you had an enjoyable experience and I look forward to seeing you soon.

I am a 20 year old male.

I attend the University of Arkansas and plan to complete my B.S. in Microbiology in 3 year.

I hope to become a family physician in Southeast Oklahoma.

I am considering HPSP with Army. (any thoughts?)

I have recently got engaged, the date is 5 June 2004.

I am a member of the OSU-COM Class of 2008.

Wow, I make a suggestion and get quick action!- Dr. Mom
Well, You are the friendly Everyone Forum two-eyed, right-wing-conspiracy-running, dictatorial modulator emu.

nice to meet u _456

nice to meet you too.

I am a father of 3 and husband of a beautiful wife
my desire to practice a core specialty and eventually become a medical missionary I am a non-trad student

where do you want to practice as a medical missionary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow i do believe that Ironmanba is the 2degree of seperation man

amazing

God Bless

DrDad

Reactions: 1 user
lol, I have absolutely no problem being the Kevin Bacon of our class:)

Hopefully you dont look and act like him though in some of his stranger movies(names I have purged)

Do you guys know anyone else who has joined the acceptance side yet?

One of my friends stacy has been accepted and will be attending, but I think we'll have to wait for the December round of interviews to commence before the new wave of acceptees come through.

Probably not a good idea to schedule interviews this week.

so what are the other soon to be OSU COM students doing for the Christmas Season?

Hope everyone has a great break and that finals went well!

back on yet any 08'ers?

Whew... After sweating since November, I'm in. It was awesome to stop looking for that FedEx truck and it suddenly pull up completely catching me off guard. I interviewed with the Halloween bunch (w/_456, I think?).

I'm Kyle Wooderson, BS Journalism 99' from OSU, Postbac at OU now. I'm 27 and married with a baby boy on the way. I live in Norman, but am originally from Blackwell in Northern OK.

I'm interested in rural medicine. Probably family, maybe surgery.

I can't wait to meet you all. My wife and I are so excited about this weight (wait, ha!) being lifted. I was so worried about getting in after the career change.

p.s. I have an OSU sweater vest I got from my grandpa (like, that he used to wear, it's awful), that I gave to my college roomate as a wedding gift (long story, has to do with a football game and a bloody nose :confused: , I'll share later). He just gave it back to me as a baby gift. What a coincidence.

I'm in! My first acceptance. Originally from Enid, OK, but now I'm in San Diego, CA. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you if I ultimately decide to go to OSU.:)

Congrats to both of you

what took so long Kwooder???

Modelcitizen.... where else did you apply?

Originally posted by DrDad
what took so long Kwooder???

I took the laidback atmosphere too casually and didn't prepare like I should have. Basically didn't interview up to par with my ap. That's my guess.

Originally posted by kwooder
I took the laidback atmosphere too casually and didn't prepare like I should have. Basically didn't interview up to par with my ap. That's my guess.

Well, they obviously didn't have a problem with you. :D

Originally posted by DrMom
Well, they obviously didn't have a problem with you. :D

<with French accent> Oh, so sweet. If anyone doesn't know, DrMom is zee greatest. </French accent>

You need fenrezz (he lives at Westport) or someone else to ask about apartments. I've been out of them for too long. Actually, you should also call student affairs and talk to the two student ambassador coordinators. They each live in different apartment complexes.

Let me know when you come to the school. I'd love to say hi. That goes for the rest of you, too. :D

Originally posted by BUmedic
Dr. Mom, you probably deserved the attention.

Congrats to the new acceptees!

I just visited OSU-COM last weekend, and took some good pictures with my new digital camera, and got some good stuff from the bookstore.

I'm coming back up in February to look at apartments, hopefully as close to the campus as possible.

Current students---any advice on apartment searching before I come up would be greatly appreciated!

i've said it once, and i'll say it again. stay away from westport. :)

i've heard too many horror stories about that place from classmates to ever recommend it to incoming MS1's. and with the school being so close to the interstate, you can really live almost anywhere and still have under a 15 minute commute. if walking to school is your #1, #2, and #3 priority, then by all means check it out. otherwise, go find a nice place that your money will go a bit further at and enjoy a nicer apartment with safer conditions.

oh-- and congrats-- you won;t be disappointed :)

Originally posted by Homonculus
with the school being so close to the interstate, you can really live almost anywhere and still have under a 15 minute commute.

Absolutely. There are many options along Riverside and elsewhere. That's part of why I recommend talking to the student ambassador coordinators. They both live on the south end of Riverside & have minimal commutes. :D

In looking for a house, should a place for me to study be a factor or do OSUCOM students study at the school? I would like to at least be in the same proximity of my family some of the time. What do you all think?

We live in three bedroom now, but similarly priced houses in midtown are mostly two beds.

Originally posted by kwooder
In looking for a house, should a place for me to study be a factor or do OSUCOM students study at the school? I would like to at least be in the same proximity of my family some of the time. What do you all think?

We live in three bedroom now, but similarly priced houses in midtown are mostly two beds.

Try looking in Jenks. It isn't a bad commute at all and much of the town has cheaper housing than brookside/midtown.

I do most of my studying at school, but there's quite a mix of who studies where. Right now, I study at home early in the morning (4 or 5), stay at school until around 7 pm, then go home to see the family.

Feel free to PM me if you want more housing info

as for housing, brookside is going to be expensive... another good area is the TU area, more house for the buck.... or your could go to 51st to 61st and riverside to peoria area.... they are okay areas...

I used to be a real estate agent, in the day, so I also would suggest getting in touch with a good realtor specializing in midtown... and let it be known how much you have to spend.... then look... it is a way to start none the less

Originally posted by DrDad
Congrats to both of you
Modelcitizen.... where else did you apply?
Thanks DrDad. As far as DO schools go, I'm still waiting on COMP and TUCOM. Denied from several MD schools.

model citizen...

is your first choice to go MD though?

Only reason I ask is that I am second career and I was not pursuing my first love, medicine, and later I realized that I DO NOT want to be an MD. I would rather be a DO as result of where I have been, am and will be in life.

Just my two cents but I hope to see you at OSU anyway

DrDad

Anymore, the only really scary part is along 61 between Riverside & Peoria. You don't have to go much north of that to get to decent neighborhoods. I drive through this area regularly getting to my daughter's school.

Originally posted by Boomer
Sorry to interject in a discussion that really doesn't involve me, but are you high? 51st to 61st and Riverside to Peoria has recently been the highest crime area in Tulsa. It overtook the 71st and Memorial area. Pretty scary, considering that there are few businesses, and multiple low cost housing developments and homes in the Peoria/Riverside area.

Scary, scary place. I won't even go to that part of town in the daytime if I can help it.

apparently not, but maybe you are.... also, your information is ill informed. as DrMom said,
Originally posted by DrMom
Anymore, the only really scary part is along 61 between Riverside & Peoria. You don't have to go much north of that to get to decent neighborhoods. I drive through this area regularly getting to my daughter's school.

She is right!, down toward riverside between 61st and 51st there are good homes with a relative level of safety.... The school itself is not in the greatest part of town... I am an original west sider and I would not live in the same area OSU is in...

Get Your Info Straight before you post

DrDad

I moved from Tulsa last year, but have lived there for 25 years. I would definately stay away from the high crime area at 61st & Peoria. I definately wouldn't feel good about my wife and son in this area after sundown.

If you have no public school issues, look for a home on the west side. They don't appreciate as fast, but the $/SF is lower. Midtown is great if you don't mind older homes, but typically $100/SF and up. Get ready for less SF.

If schools are an issue, the best for the west side is Jenks. Top notch, but has some snotty wealthy kids. Then again, you will find that in any of the top public school districts. My son went to Union most of his life, and it was great. You can find good deals in the northern Union district at $70/SF for nice places in good neighborhoods.

Most suburbs would not be more than 20-30 mins in worst case traffic.

Oh, I would not spend a lot of time on the Riverside trails at night. Some bad things have happened there, albeit infrequently.

Best deal on great food: any Zio's & El Chico (esp. 21st next to I-44).

Originally posted by BUmedic
I hear alot about school districts, safety of spouse/children etc., and all of that information is appreciated.

I'm coming up there in a couple of weeks to do some apartment searching, and I am looking for an apartment for a single and very unattached 21 year old male, 1 bed and 1 bath. I only plan to live there for the first couple of years of school, so I'm not that picky.

I don't care about school districts or child safety. I want something cheap and convenient, but still clean in appearance.

Throw out some names, so I can take a look when I come in town, if anyone knows of some low rent places. Thanks!

I'll think about names of complexes & get back to you. If you really want cheap, ask Dana about the mental health housing. Sounds odd, but a number of OSUCOM students live there....for $25 a month!!!! Bare bones, but cheap. I could get you in touch with a classmate who lives there if you want.

Ask her about AHEC housing. They are very nice, brand new townhomes East of school. They are trying to get some med students in there to create a more heterogenous community, but the rent is scaled based on income (of which you will have none)

Well, those of us who have had a differing opinion also live in Tulsa and have for many years (I've been here 22, myself). Not a big deal, really. We're allowed to disagree. :D (and in actuality we're splitting hairs since we're all acknowledging there is a bad area...just disputing how far away you need to get.)

Some other good places to consider are Jenks, Sapulpa, Glenpool, and Sand Springs. They all have some inexpensive housing & aren't a bad commute to school. IMO: Broken Arrow, Bixby, and Owasso have some commuting/traffic issues, although I know people driving it every day.

Im speaking specifically of my commute. I live about as far away as one can be and still be in BA. But, I also live right off the highway. So, it evens out.