OSU-COM Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to start school in the fall!! :soexcited:

Figured I would create a class of 2016 thread so we can all get to know each other and ask questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the thread rafman. I'm super pumped about school too, but my first child is due in January so I'm looking forward to having 6 months to spend with her before school takes off. OSU was the school I had in mind when I decided to pursue med school so I feel extremely blessed. By the way, any news on Admitted Student Day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there :) !!! I am super excited too, but honestly, who wouldn't be :D !!! Anyway, I heard that admitted student day is sometime in February, but that's just going off of what students from previous classes said. We'll see, I guess :)

Turned in my acceptance packet and $100 today! Too bad they can't put that $100 on loans. You better believe I'd be taking full advantage of that offer.

Hey all! I turned in my deposit today too! SUPER EXCITED!

I called Sarah to see if she had any dates scheduled for next semester and Admitted Student Day is February 18th from 9ish-12ish!

Turned in my acceptance packet and $100 today! Too bad they can't put that $100 on loans. You better believe I'd be taking full advantage of that offer.
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 100 dollar deposit doesn't go to waste. I thought it was put towards tuition?

Hard not to be excited! I'm going to enjoy this excitement while I can cause I know come two weeks into the semester we will all probably have different feelings haha.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 100 dollar deposit doesn't go to waste. I thought it was put towards tuition?

Hard not to be excited! I'm going to enjoy this excitement while I can cause I know come two weeks into the semester we will all probably have different feelings haha.

LOL, I feel the same way.....one one hand I am sooooo excited, on the other it is kinda daunting *g*......but for now my focus is on the first part :D

Looking forward to Admitted Students Day!! Hopefully there will be a second one sometime later on, I think I won't be able to make the one on Feb 18th.

Btw, I had a dream that I was wearing those snazzy bright orange scrubs the other night!!

Looking forward to Admitted Students Day!! Hopefully there will be a second one sometime later on, I think I won't be able to make the one on Feb 18th.

Btw, I had a dream that I was wearing those snazzy bright orange scrubs the other night!!

They always have a second one in June so you'll be fine. Haha the black ones with the orange OSU logos are sick!

I know its still early to start thinking about this, but do you guys have any idea where you're gonna live? I'm probably going to go up sometime in April to go bachelor pad shopping.

PS. Congrats docbeats on your upcoming child!!

I know its still early to start thinking about this, but do you guys have any idea where you're gonna live? I'm probably going to go up sometime in April to go bachelor pad shopping.

PS. Congrats docbeats on your upcoming child!!

I live in the Tulsa area. There are apartments right across the street from the parking lot. If you can't get a place there, apartments are also across the river to the east off of Riverside Dr. North Tulsa is rough. Stick to the Jenks/South Tulsa areas and you should be fine.

My husband and I started looking around already....we have a son, who will be 3 in February, so we would like to live close to OSU-CHS, but also in a child-friendly neighborhood (not so much "the hood" *bg*!!). Kind of makes the entire situation more real, but I want it all over with as soon as school starts in August....we'll see :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in the Tulsa area. There are apartments right across the street from the parking lot. If you can't get a place there, apartments are also across the river to the east off of Riverside Dr. North Tulsa is rough. Stick to the Jenks/South Tulsa areas and you should be fine.

Does a majority of the students live in certain apartment complexes/neighborhoods? I don't know the Tulsa area very well so looking for a place hasn't been very successful bc idk where to start!

My husband and I started looking around already....we have a son, who will be 3 in February, so we would like to live close to OSU-CHS, but also in a child-friendly neighborhood (not so much "the hood" *bg*!!). Kind of makes the entire situation more real, but I want it all over with as soon as school starts in August....we'll see :)

If you are looking for a decent neighborhood semi-close to the school, I would suggest forgetting about everything north of the school. Suburbs like Sand Springs, Sapulpa, and Jenks aren't too far of a drive. Jenks will probably cost you a bit more as its a nicer area. There are also some decent neighborhoods not far off of I-44 in South Tulsa, which is just across the river. I would start in those places.

Does a majority of the students live in certain apartment complexes/neighborhoods? I don't know the Tulsa area very well so looking for a place hasn't been very successful bc idk where to start!

I don't know for sure, but I think it varies. Some live in the apartments across the street. Some live in suburbs, or small towns southwest of campus, or in neighborhoods southeast of campus across the river (or apartments in that area). Also, just on the other side of the river to the southeast, there is a 13 (I think) mile long walk/jogging/bike trail that running along the river, along with plenty of stores, restaurants, etc. But to answer you question more directly, no, I don't believe there is a large cluster of students that live in a certain area.

Got the e-mail invite for admitted students day today......very excited to meet you guys there :-D !!!!

Same here, excited to meet you guys!! Do you guys have any ideas what the activities planned are going to be?? Also, are you guys bringing anyone?

Same here, excited to meet you guys!! Do you guys have any ideas what the activities planned are going to be?? Also, are you guys bringing anyone?

I don't know exactly what the activities are, but in the e-mail that I received it said something about the final application steps (?!) and what to expect. Mainly, I think, it's kind of a meet and greet and getting to know everybody. I am bringing my husband and maybe some of my other family members......I just don't know how interesting all of that would be for them :) At last there's food, that always works :-D !!!!!!

I'm probably going to bring my parents. They'll want to know where I'll be the next four years! =P

Also, I heard about this bridge histology class we can take (even if we arent in the bridge program) before school starts. I've never taken histology before and hearing about how hard it is at OSU made me feel like I should take it. Anyone else going to do that or know anything about it?

Yeah I think I'm bringing my parents and some friends, not sure yet ha. And as far as that class goes everyone advised me not to take it and to enjoy what is probably our last summer off. Plus the material covered in the summer only covers the first test material.

I heard that the Histology summer class is a four-week online class, is that true??????
I also heard that it only covered material for the first test, but the first one counts the most, percent wise. I am going to take the class, although I heard both sides from students (taking it vs. not taking it), because I have not had histology in undergrad and I just need to have the feeling that I am starting off well :D No "coulda, woulda, shoulda" experience on the first test :p

I think Im going to take it too. From what I hear its not going to be very advantageous, but still if its online, it can't hurt. Besides, I haven't taken a class in almost two years, so it might get my gears going a little lol

Hope everyone has a happy new year!!!! About 8 months to go lol!!

Just ran across this thread when looking for information on residencies and remembered how much I used it for feedback back when I was starting school. I'm currently an OMS III (third year) on rotations and can answer any questions you might be curious about.

Housing: everyone lives everywhere...haha. Our school is diverse in that we have mothers/fathers with kids ranging from 25yo-infants along with singles, newlyweds and currently pregnant. So depending on the lifestyle dictates what area of Tulsa you will want to live in. We have people who live in Claremore, Owasso, Broken Arrow, Sand Springs, and apartments/houses throughout the city. Westport is the apartments that are next to the school along the river that many people choose due to location, but also several students are living out at Stonehaven Villas (Highway 169 and 81st street) because of the easy highway access to school just minutes away and new facilities. Housing to rent/own I would look in the suburbs of Jenks, BA, Owasso, or midtown Tulsa in the neighborhoods of Florence Park, Lewiston, Brookside, or Cherry Street.

You can post on here or private message me if you have any other questions.

Just received the info on Admitted Student Day! Very excited to check out the school again, meet everyone, and see how the construction has progessed. Does anyone know when the construction is suppose to be completed?

Just received the info on Admitted Student Day! Very excited to check out the school again, meet everyone, and see how the construction has progessed. Does anyone know when the construction is suppose to be completed?

Interviewed on Thursday. They said that they would be "shocked" if it was still going on when schools starts back in August.