Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OSU has Flag Football!?!? and other questions

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by BobBarker, Dec 20, 2005.

1. BobBarker

BobBarker Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is it true that OSU has intramurals? Are these true intramurals like in undergrad? I have lots of other questions about OSU so I'll just list them and hopefully some kind person will help me out:
    Where do most students live? Are nice apartments cost prohibitive and would buying a house if possible be a good decision?
    Are mp3's of lectures online as well as slideshows?
    Do most students "home school"?
    Is there a heavy influence on OMM?
    Any other good/bad things about the school would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    OSU has intramurals. Flag football and softball are played within the school. Volleyball and basketball are played in leagues along with OSU-Tulsa and TCC. We are working on adding other sports. Yes, it is like undergrad.

Most students live in the apartments near campus, but many live several miles away. Nice apartments can be had for as little as $400 a month, depending on what part of town you live in.

There are many students that record lectures on ipods, and there is a website available for all recordings to be downloaded online. All courses have slideshows that are also available for download.

OMM does not have a heavy influence, and it is 3 hours a week. (2 hours of lab and 1 hour of lecture.)

PM me for me details/specific questions.

4. DireWolf

DireWolf The Pride of Cucamonga
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. Westport is great. However, it is also possible to rent or buy for cheap within a short driving distance of campus.

2. Yes

3. Don't know about most students, but I did and I highly recommend.

4. Very little emphasis on OMM

5. Good = Goljan
    Bad = A/B/C/D/F grading system

5. Dr.MISHKA D.O.

Dr.MISHKA D.O. Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know if the A/B/C grading system is such a bad thing, as you continue to get numeric grades thru clinicals. Program directors may have no clue how you did with a "pass" but they understand what a A/98% in surgery or an A/97% in an ICU rotation means.
    I jumped up 8 spots in class rank during clinicals and I feel it helps make up for some people who were able to make a good grade in some Bu!!$8*^^ classes (like OMT) because they could memorize everything the night before without bothering to understand it, and jumped above me in class rank. Program directors have made comment to my top 10% rank and I am glad that my efforts were not wasted on just a "Pass" ing grade.
    WestPort was great because it was within stumbling distance of classes. I could literally wake up and be in class within 5 minutes after studying all night.
    Oh, and by the way Goljan is AWESOME. Five 99% Comlex scores in the last two classes (thats approx 5 out of 60 99% scores posted in the last two years, or 1/12th of the nation at a school with a class size of 88). Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

The Mish

6. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting thoughts on the grading system, but I totally disagree. I actually fought to get it changed to P/F but was defeated by Goodson et al.

P/F eliminates a lot of the unnecessary competition and stress. And don't tell me that those don't exist at OSU.

It also sucks when you are being compared to students at other schools and you have grades, while they have P/F.

The 3rd/4th year grades are so subjective and a total joke. Having grades for those 2 years is useless. I know several people in our class who got multiple 100% on clinicals without putting in any effort at all; while other people would get 91% while busting their ass. P/F would eliminate that B.S.

On a side note, I find it interesting that residency programs got your class rank. Mine was not included in the Dean's letter, and therefore no residency program knows my class rank. One interviewer (out of about 30 so far) asked about it. I said I had no idea what my rank is, which is the truth.

There is a reason that many of the top schools in the country are going to P/F and completely doing away with class ranks.

7. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Wouldn't pass/fail cause people to do just do the bare minimum to pass? Isn't there less motivation to do really well? What's the point?

8. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If grades are your motivational inspiration in medical school then you really need to re-evaluate your life. And schools would need to re-evaluate who they admit.

I would love to hear you ask these questions to the Deans of Stanford, Michigan, WashU, etc.

9. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I guess you're right. They should probably kick all of us out that try to "get by" with a 3.5 GPA.

10. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure I understand the point of your post, but I think it proves my point.

11. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I'm not concerned about my chances in applying to residencies because I didn't make the extra effort to makes A's in all of my classes.

I REALLY wouldn't be worried about it if it was Pass/Fail, however.

That doesn't mean I shouldn't have been admitted, no matter what you say.

12. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My point was that if grades are your sole motivation in med school, then you shouldn't have been admitted.

13. Dr.MISHKA D.O.

Dr.MISHKA D.O. Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My class rank was in the first line of my dean's letter, as well as my Two "honors" grades from my two allopathic EM rotations were in the first paragraph. (I got a "pass" in my pass/fail Osteo EM elective)
    I stick by my A/B/C grading stance, as during non EM electives with only a pass to hope for I often did enough to keep learning but did not go above and beyond as in other rotations. I feel with the pressure to get a good letter grade I often learned more in my graded non EM rotations than my non graded non EM rotations.

Best wishes

The Mish

14. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting how the Dean's letters have no consistency in form.