Tini

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys!

I really need some advice. On December 1st I was accepted into U of L C/O 2014. I did all the work---transcripts sent in, immunization records, deposit of course...my husband and I even went down there two weeks ago to drive around the city and look at apartments.

Two days ago I receive a call from OSU saying I was accepted off of their waitlist. I am instate for Ohio, so over the four years, I will be saving about 90,000 dollars by attending OSU.

My dilemma is I was so dead set on Louisville, and to all of a sudden have this large change in plans I am a little put back. Can anyone please give me some advice?

I loved Louisville, but OSU was my top choice after the interviews and before my acceptance anywhere...however, I am having a hard time remember OSU school.

Can anyone please give me some feedback on any school? Positive or negative. I spoke with a student at OSU, and his main complaint was it was outdated...any Louisville student care to share their thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2009
Status
i am not familiar with any of the two schools that you've mentioned, but my experience with planing future life has been the same. I also had my mind set on a rather expensive school - NYU (the only one i got accepted on dec 1), and then later another school accepted me --Stony Brook. Now i have to reconsider my plan of attack. And although this may seem like a sudden change of plans, im trying to make the smart decision. Going to Stony Brook will save me roughly 120k over 4 years and this is the school im leaning to. good luck

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys!

I really need some advice. On December 1st I was accepted into U of L C/O 2014. I did all the work---transcripts sent in, immunization records, deposit of course...my husband and I even went down there two weeks ago to drive around the city and look at apartments.

Two days ago I receive a call from OSU saying I was accepted off of their waitlist. I am instate for Ohio, so over the four years, I will be saving about 90,000 dollars by attending OSU.

My dilemma is I was so dead set on Louisville, and to all of a sudden have this large change in plans I am a little put back. Can anyone please give me some advice?

I loved Louisville, but OSU was my top choice after the interviews and before my acceptance anywhere...however, I am having a hard time remember OSU school.

Can anyone please give me some feedback on any school? Positive or negative. I spoke with a student at OSU, and his main complaint was it was outdated...any Louisville student care to share their thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
If OSU was your top choice after the interviews, and it will save you 90 THOUSAND dollars... seems like kind of a no-brainer. Who cares if you don't do what you were planning since December first...

Tini

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Status
Pre-Dental
If OSU was your top choice after the interviews, and it will save you 90 THOUSAND dollars... seems like kind of a no-brainer. Who cares if you don't do what you were planning since December first...

I was more looking for feedback on each school, pros and cons...

Jun 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
not to sounds repetitive, but if OSU was your number one choice and you will be saving a ton of money, OF COURSE OSU!!

who cares if you did all the vaccines and paperwork for U of L... you will most likely need those shots for OSU too so its not a total loss.

I went to OSU for undergrad and will be a D1 in the fall. OSU's dent school, physically, is outdated in some arenas i agree. But I got the BEST vibe at OSU in terms of how happy the students are, and the relationships between the profs and the students seemed great. while a nicely manicured school is fun, at the end of the day its about what you learn and the relationships you form. I donno about U of L, but OSU has had a 100% passing rate for the boards for the last couple of years which was a huge selling point. OSU is a huge school with a ton of dental graduates, so lots of opportunities to network which is good, esp if you want to specialize. They also have all the specialties you could ask for. I know a few students currently in dent school at OSU and they all say good things.

For me, it was all about how I felt at the interview and if I could see myself there for 4 years. Maybe Im a little bias bc OSU is my alma mater, but of all the interview I had OSU was BY FAR the best.

just go with your instinct.

anyhoo, good luck with your choice

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Dental Student
here you go
columbus vs. louisville: columbus. younger population, great city w/ a great vibe. pro sports plus the bucks. louisville is mediocre at best in terms of a city in comparison with columbus. you got your derby but beyond that and louisville sports there isn't much entertainment.

facilities: louisville. they're updating their clinics. getting some of the better equipment in the country. osu is a little outdated. but with the money osu has coming in, i would expect them to up their stuff within a year or 2.

vibe: you picked osu to be better. you're gonna be there for four years. so vibe is an important one. at louisville you might be surrounded by people from different places and you would be a minority (i think, uofL changed their percentages w/ the class size change) while osu majority comes from ohio. which is better? your choice.

price: you said osu was going to be better. if you have family in ohio, how much time would you save if you went home for the weekend? what about money?

name: osu has a name as a university system. louisville not so much. it's known for its professional/grad schools more. but neither matters much.

FutureDent020

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Dentist
here you go
columbus vs. louisville: columbus. younger population, great city w/ a great vibe. pro sports plus the bucks. louisville is mediocre at best in terms of a city in comparison with columbus.
I don't know much about Columbus or Louisville so I am not going to debate what you have said. But what pro sports are you talking about in Columbus? They have a hockey team and a soccer team. Nothing to go crazy over... And to talk about city vibes, I would hope you have spent a descent amount of time in each of the cities.
Tini, just go where you feel the most comfortable or where you gut tells you. And if OSU is 90 grand cheaper, then screw your gut and follow the money.

Tini

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey, im glad to hear the in state wait list is moving, I am currently on it. If you don't mind me asking, what number were you originally? Thanks much.

I started out at 28! so i would say they are making a lot of movement

Tini

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you guys for all of your input! I really appreciate it! If OSU just updated a little bit, this wouldn't even be a question in my head. the out-dated equipment is what is really bothering me...but hopefully your right and they will update soon!

Oct 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
In response to r2thekesh's comparison of the two cities, he could not be further from the truth. I grew up in Louisville and lived there until I moved to Ohio for college. Granted Columbus is a great city with many attractive features, the city of Louisville is one reason why I am so excited about attending school there next year. It is not to big, while having a small town vibe, it is not conservative and much more liberal than the rest of the state, it has a diverse population, and offers SO much in addition to the two weeks of the Kentucky Derby festival. I really do not think you can go wrong with either school. I have heard nothing but good things from my friends that attend both schools. Therefore, I agree with the former post stating that the #90,000 dollars you would save should figure into your decision greatly. I hope this helps!
I don't know where r2thekesh is getting his information, but he/she obviously does not know what they are talking about in regard to Louisville. It is a GREAT city!