OSU vs U. Minnesota?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellie42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? I'm having trouble deciding and May 15th is looming. Oh, and Minnesota is offering me an in state tuition grant and also 2k a year scholarship. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really like UMN and if its cheaper go there. I think its better ranked too and Minneapolis is a nice city. Is there any reason you want to go to OSU? Which is cheaper?

OSU is ranked slightly higher at 30, versus Minnesota's 36. Minnesota is slightly cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh OK, sorry about that. Well do you have family/friends in one area? Which one did you like better? I don't think 30 vs. 36 matters at all, but I am not a huge rankings person so if that matters to you, go to OSU. Which one did you like more when you interviewed?

Any thoughts? I'm having trouble deciding and May 15th is looming. Oh, and Minnesota is offering me an in state tuition grant and also 2k a year scholarship. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
OSU.

I liked Minnesota better, but that was the first school I visited.. so it's impossible to be objective. I have family in Minneapolis, and none in Ohio. I'm leaning towards Minnesota. The two things that hold OSU in consideration are: it's been moving up ALOT in the last few years (14 ranks in 4 years) and it's COLD in Minnesota!

Isn't it pretty cold in Ohio too? I mean at that point its cold everywhere. Minnesota is cheaper, close to family, and you liked it. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me.

Go to minnesota...you will thank me later. It will save you money, and you will be near relatives (an essential support network while in med school). I don't think the 6 place difference in rankings is good enough to move away from family, and money for that matter.

I would say Minnesota as well. This maybe a little biased since I went to undergrad at mn, am accepted to the medschool, and am on the waitlist at ohio state.

I really enjoyed my visit to OSU but I think it is hard to argue that Minneapolis doesn't have a lot more to offer than Columbus as a city.

In your third and four year it is nice that Minnesota is the only school in the state. You have access to clerkships at approx 7 different major hospitals which most top schools can't match. Fairview is also opening a brand new Peds Hospital on the Riverside campus to be finished in time for us to enjoy.

US News
Primary care ranking: Minnesota 7th, Ohio State 31st
Research ranking: MN 36, OSU 30th.

It can be pretty cold for a few months but when on campus you never have to go outside. You will adjust to it and will be surprised how warm 45 feels after the winter.

And according to my calculations if you claim residency in ohio after your first year it is about an 18,000 dollar difference overall. Your price is locked at mn and only pay for 11 semesters even with the ability with Flex MD to finish in 3.5-6 years if you ever decide to take time off to travel abroad or research.

Good luck on your choice!

I think the only thing holding me back from just deciding on Minnesota flat out is: Ohio has be steadily moving up in ranking whereas Minnesota has been stagnant. I can't help but feel that this somehow reflects Ohio's readiness for the future of medicine. I'd also like to say I attended a 'top 20's school' instead of 'top 30's.' I know there's more to schools than rank, but it does warrant some consideration.

I all depends on how you view the ranking system. If you look at the methodology of how the schools are ranked it makes me not put to much weight into the system. Only 61 of the schools are even ranked in research, 62 primary care.

You can look at the Ohio States jump in 2 ways, your way and I would say that Ohio State was under performing and is making positive strides but is about to level off, become "stagnant" as well, it is a lot easier to jump from 50 to 30 than it is into the "elite" top 20 schools.

I know that changes are being made to prepare for the future at the UofM. A multi milllion dollar research facility is being built right now. The cancer research center received a 65 million dollar donation 2 months ago, etc. Med 2010 is a new age of thinking for the school but we won't benefit to much from that.

I don't think that Ohio State or Minnesota will be moving into the top 20 research anytime soon whereas MN is in the top 10 for primary care. Go to the school that you think best prepares you for being competitive in the top residency programs and treating patients. Nobody is going to care 10 years from now that your medschool eventually moved into the top 20, it is going to be where your residency was and I am guessing you will have more important things to talk about by then anyways.

Again good luck with your choice, it is nice to have one acceptance sometimes :)

If it's one thing I've learned throughout my life, don't base your decisions on national rankings. You are the one that's going to make the most out of your education no matter where you go. I made this mistake when I was choosing where to go for undergrad.

I'm from Minneapolis and I've lived here all my life, which makes me biased, yes. True, it's cold as HELL in the winter, but there's practically a skyway or underground system that interconnects all the buildings. From what I remember when touring U of MN med school, there was always a subway level or underground walkway that linked the different buildings.

Also, Minneapolis has become a bustling metropolis and it's like Chicago Jr. It's actually a pretty cool city and since you have family there, I'd go with Minnesota.

I decided on Minnesota! Yay!

Thanks for your help guys. :D