OSU vs UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

checkplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off of the waitlist at UCI and have a few days to make this decision. I am not going to make my decision based on this poll, but I would like to initiate a discussion to see if anyone brings up any points I haven't thought of.

I am a CA resident, and would like to eventually end up in CA (but I am not opposed to leaving for a few years).

Cost: Cost is very important to me. I have not yet received my financial aid package from UCI, but I did not receive any extra money from OSU. From what I can gather, the COA at UCI appears to be about 52-55k/year. If anyone can confirm this that would be great. I know some people have also received 5-10k in grant money. At OSU, I can become an OH resident and receive instate tuition after one year. However, the process does not appear all that easy, and OSU charges an extra 11k of tuition third year, which essentially nullifies the instate benefit for that year. Based on this, I'd estimate the total cost to be 200-220k (at UCI) vs 245k (OSU).

Curriculum and Research: I think OSU has a better curriculum and more research opportunities than UCI. I am not interested in academic medicine, but I am interested in doing research between MS1 and MS2. I know that this is very possible at OSU, but I'm not sure how many people do this at UCI. I'd appreciate comments about this. UCI is also at a disadvantage because the medical center is about 15 miles from the main campus. This means that 1st and 2nd years are in many ways separated from 3rd and 4th years.

Reputation: OSU, from what I can tell, has a better reputation than UCI. I don't care a lot about this, but it may be something to consider.

Location: Each has its advantages. OSU is a huge campus with great sports, and Columbus is a cool little college town. UCI is on a beautiful campus in an area with almost perfect weather.

I really appreciate any comments you all have. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm. Seems like you're pretty torn between the two. I think the cost difference is fairly negligible (~25k).

For research, I think OSU would suit your needs more, and if you're willing to try a new city for 4 years, then go for it. I'm also a CA resident and as much as I love Cali, part of me just wants to try a new part of the country.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either school. OSU is definitely more powerful with regards to overall reputation and research, but if you're not interested in academic medicine at all, I don't think you'll have problems just getting involved in a summer of research at UCI either. How did you feel when you interviewed at each? Does Columbus feel like a place where you can be comfortable, connected, and happy? What about Irvine? What kind of feedback did you get from current students? How are 3rd and 4th year rotations structured (pre-clinical really doesn't matter much, IMO)?

Also as far as cost goes -- the total fees for 2010-2011 at UCI = $30,947.50 (not including cost of living). Not sure how that compares to OSU, but the cost of living in Ohio is probably cheaper. Although if you're good at being frugal, it doesn't cost much to live in Irvine either. On-campus housing goes for as low as $450-500/month. If you do choose OSU, make sure you're able to get in-state tuition after the first year. I think Ohio requires you to be totally independent. So that means no money from parents for anything (rent, car, utilities, etc.). Everything must be covered by loans, money you earn, or money that was in your bank account at least a year prior to applying for residency status.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
research for M1-2 wont be an issue at UCI so dont worry about that:). That being said i would choose OSU, i was never a big fan of the OC after living there and i would just feel more comfortable at OSU. It does have the better rep but i think thats not too important in the grand scheme of things. Coming back to cali is a non-issue regardless. Do well at osu or uci and your opportunities would be there. For me based on location, cirriculum (UCIs is very traditional which may or may not be a good thing to you), and opportunities for research and beyond, id go to OSU for only 25k more.

Also apparently near everyone gets a 5k grant from uci but anymore typically requires some documented need or so im told.

I would go with UCI in your position. There are a number of factors you haven't looked at. Like being close to your family? This is very important and somethign most people really take for granted. Being in California will allow you the flexibility to see them anytime.

The weather is nicer in Irvine and seems like a better city. I'm sure Ohio weather is not the best (as Cleveland was voted worst city weather-wise in America and Columbus shouldn't be too different)

I think UCI would allow you to get a California residency more easily (due to connections/networking at their hospital). Additionally, it is cheaper so you have a benefit there. 35-40K is a lot of money when considering interest btw.

I think people blow the whole research thing out of proportion. At the med school level, you should be able to find research opportunities between M1 and M2 in both schools.

My vote goes to UC Irvine.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either school. OSU is definitely more powerful with regards to overall reputation and research, but if you're not interested in academic medicine at all, I don't think you'll have problems just getting involved in a summer of research at UCI either. How did you feel when you interviewed at each? Does Columbus feel like a place where you can be comfortable, connected, and happy? What about Irvine? What kind of feedback did you get from current students? How are 3rd and 4th year rotations structured (pre-clinical really doesn't matter much, IMO)?
Also as far as cost goes -- the total fees for 2010-2011 at UCI = $30,947.50 (not including cost of living). Not sure how that compares to OSU, but the cost of living in Ohio is probably cheaper. Although if you're good at being frugal, it doesn't cost much to live in Irvine either. On-campus housing goes for as low as $450-500/month. If you do choose OSU, make sure you're able to get in-state tuition after the first year. I think Ohio requires you to be totally independent. So that means no money from parents for anything (rent, car, utilities, etc.). Everything must be covered by loans, money you earn, or money that was in your bank account at least a year prior to applying for residency status.

I enjoyed the interview day at OSU more, but students seemed happy at both. 3rd and 4th year seem more flexible at UCI, but at OSU I could live in the same apartment all 4 years.

research for M1-2 wont be an issue at UCI so dont worry about that:). That being said i would choose OSU, i was never a big fan of the OC after living there and i would just feel more comfortable at OSU. It does have the better rep but i think thats not too important in the grand scheme of things. Coming back to cali is a non-issue regardless. Do well at osu or uci and your opportunities would be there. For me based on location, cirriculum (UCIs is very traditional which may or may not be a good thing to you), and opportunities for research and beyond, id go to OSU for only 25k more.

Also apparently near everyone gets a 5k grant from uci but anymore typically requires some documented need or so im told.

Thanks for your feedback. I have read some of your advice in other threads and have found that useful as well.

I like southern California, so the location is a positive factor for me. I do like OSU's curriculum better.

I would go with UCI in your position. There are a number of factors you haven't looked at. Like being close to your family? This is very important and somethign most people really take for granted. Being in California will allow you the flexibility to see them anytime.

The weather is nicer in Irvine and seems like a better city. I'm sure Ohio weather is not the best (as Cleveland was voted worst city weather-wise in America and Columbus shouldn't be too different)

I think UCI would allow you to get a California residency more easily (due to connections/networking at their hospital). Additionally, it is cheaper so you have a benefit there. 35-40K is a lot of money when considering interest btw.

I think people blow the whole research thing out of proportion. At the med school level, you should be able to find research opportunities between M1 and M2 in both schools.

My vote goes to UC Irvine.

Proximity to family is nice but I will not consider that when making a decision. The weather in Columbus is significantly better than Cleveland, although it is still cold.

After looking at UCI's COA estimate, I would estimate my total cost to be closer to 210k than 220k. If Elijah is correct and everyone receives a 5k grant every year, the total COA will be closer to 190k. This is a difference of 35-55k, most of which will be in gradplus loans (7.9% interest) were I to attend OSU.

I still don't know what to do, however, so any additional feedback is welcome.

You should try posting in the UCI and OSU threads, you might get more feedback, although it might be a little biased towards each one.

After looking at UCI's COA estimate, I would estimate my total cost to be closer to 210k than 220k. If Elijah is correct and everyone receives a 5k grant every year, the total COA will be closer to 190k. This is a difference of 35-55k, most of which will be in gradplus loans (7.9% interest) were I to attend OSU.

I still don't know what to do, however, so any additional feedback is welcome.

It really depends on what's most important to you. Cost? Curriculum? Reputation? Location? I don't think other people's opinions are really going to help you out because their priorities could be totally different... But you should try to obtain more inside info from current students in order to make a more informed decision. But that information, again, is only going to be useful if you can make up your mind about what matters most to you.

This has already been helpful, actually. I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions/feedback from others who interviewed at both/either or are students at either.

i went to uci for undergrad and did clinical neuroscience research in a small lab, and my lab would routinely have med students doing research during the summer... one summer we even had two students from rosalind franklin do research with us. so i would assume the opportunities are abundant.

First I like to list my bias: I am on the waitlist at Irvine hoping to get off, in short my sig. other can't move across country with me so I want to stay in Cali. As always ill try to keep it as non-baised as possible.

You seem so equally torn that if you have a "gut" feeling about any school either way, I'd follow that feeling and not bother with the rest of this post. As people have said both schools are relatively equal so your gut SHOULD play a part in this.

OSU seems awesome and is one of the schools I wish I had applied to before this season started. One of my physician co-workers went there then to Mass Gen for her EM residency which landed her on a TV show Boston Med by ABC which follows real life residents through their training... in short very COOL!

http://bostonmed.abcnews.com/

First show to be seen on June 24th if you want to check it out on ABC.

When i was applying she was trying to get me to go there by telling me how she really liked her curriculum which she said was very self directed and independent. She said the city is actually awesome, very clean, low crime, and big university city. From what she has said.. and how she landed a residency at MGH (harvard) it seems if you do well you will have no problem landing a residency back in Cali if that is what you want. You seem some what adventurous if you are pretty set on coming back to Cali after you are done then this might be a great opportunity to move out for 4 years of your life. Although I'm not sure of the process, I know that everyone gets IS tuition after a year if they jump through the hoops which is rare for OOS schools. Prestige and reputation of OSU seems to win over UCI IF that is important to you- it might not be. Minor draw back could be the winter's if you don't like snow and as people have mentioned earlier traveling back to Cali is a long flight.

Now Irvine, all i have to say is location location location! Do you want to be close to family? (you've said no that it doesn't matter) Do you want to be at the beach and do out door activities all year round? (I love the beach and surfing so I'd say HELL YEA!) Do you want to land a UCI residency specifically? If you do, UCI being your home institution will help. As you've calculated before cost does lean slightly in UCI's favor, which I believe should be factored in to any decision, but in reality while 40k shouldn't be ignored it isn't a HUGE amount. Research opportunities seems to be equal among the two schools if you just want to do it for one summer, i know for sure that UCI has a lot of research activities.

I believe finances should be treated like in-laws... you can't ignore them, but you shouldn't base your marriage on them.

Good luck on your decision, I'm a little envious that I'm not in your shoes making the same decision =) one for the fact that i didn't apply to OSU and wish I had and another for the fact that I want to get off UCI's waitlist :p. Either way though you can't go wrong with your decision!

It seems that your largest priorities are, and rightfully so, money then research opportunity. As a general rule of thumb, at least in my opinion, look for the school that will land you the lowest debt. Other than a higher cost of living in Cali, the net scholarship/COA seems to be lower.

I’m at IUSM right next door and as another general rule of thumb (in my opinion) is choose based on what is closest to your support system, whatever that may be (family being some of my biggest support). It has made a WORLD of a difference, ultimately trumping the details of curriculum and ambiance.

I’m not too familiar with UCI unfortunately; however, I just had a brother graduate from OSU. So needless to say, I’m somewhat familiar. I’ve asked him and a couple of his med friends how feasible or accessible the research is and they were surprisingly pessimistic about opportunities in between M1 and M2. Many PIs are reluctant to rotate med students as there are a surplus of undergrad, grad, and post-docs that are committed to long, efficient time frames. However, the James/CCC does occasionally offer opportunity.

Lol, also if you’re from So Cal and have never experienced a full Midwest winter, it can be a shock. I had an undergrad friend from Austin, TX that murmured swears could be heard from as he walked across campus in the winter. Needless to say, he graduated in three years rather than four lol.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptances =)!

Looks like Irvine will be around $45,000 cheaper over 4 years.

I recently got off of the waitlist at UCI and have a few days to make this decision. I am not going to make my decision based on this poll, but I would like to initiate a discussion to see if anyone brings up any points I haven't thought of.

I am a CA resident, and would like to eventually end up in CA (but I am not opposed to leaving for a few years).

Cost: Cost is very important to me. I have not yet received my financial aid package from UCI, but I did not receive any extra money from OSU. From what I can gather, the COA at UCI appears to be about 52-55k/year. If anyone can confirm this that would be great. I know some people have also received 5-10k in grant money. At OSU, I can become an OH resident and receive instate tuition after one year. However, the process does not appear all that easy, and OSU charges an extra 11k of tuition third year, which essentially nullifies the instate benefit for that year. Based on this, I'd estimate the total cost to be 200-220k (at UCI) vs 245k (OSU).

Curriculum and Research: I think OSU has a better curriculum and more research opportunities than UCI. I am not interested in academic medicine, but I am interested in doing research between MS1 and MS2. I know that this is very possible at OSU, but I'm not sure how many people do this at UCI. I'd appreciate comments about this. UCI is also at a disadvantage because the medical center is about 15 miles from the main campus. This means that 1st and 2nd years are in many ways separated from 3rd and 4th years.

Reputation: OSU, from what I can tell, has a better reputation than UCI. I don't care a lot about this, but it may be something to consider.

Location: Each has its advantages. OSU is a huge campus with great sports, and Columbus is a cool little college town. UCI is on a beautiful campus in an area with almost perfect weather.

I really appreciate any comments you all have. Thank you in advance.

Curriculum: I have no idea about OSU's curriculum so I cant really comment. UCI's curriculum is pretty traditional as of now but every year is getting less and less lectrue time and more and more small group hands on type of learning.

Research: I dunno why you would think there are a lack of research opportunities at UCI. Most people do research during the summer after their first year. There will be more opportunities than you can choose from, and I think it should be this way at any school really. If yuo are looking for a very specific kind of research then I dunno you need to do further investigation in to which school might better fit your needs. There is a BRAND NEW (literally, opened two weeks ago) building on the med campus dedicated ENTIRELY to research - mostly stem cell research I think. If you want to do research, you can do it.

Med Center: What do you think you will be missing by not interacting with 3rd/4th years on a regular basis? If the hospital was directly on the campus, you still wouldn' interact with them very often becuase you'd be in class and they'd be in the hospital. That being said - I konw quite a few 3rd and 4th years. 15 minutes really isnt that far. If you are worried about clinical opportunities/shadowing time in the first two years, its not really that inconvenient. You can make the time for it if you want to be involved in that sort of stuff. There are also opportunities outside of the med center to get involved with patient care (3rd and 4th years volunteer here as well so its a great opportunity to meet them too).

Reputation: I honestly couldnt tell you the reputation of OSU or even UCI. It truly doesnt matter. Do well in your courses, rock your step one, and you will go in to whatever residency you want. Both schools will provide you with a fine education. You could go to Joe Shmoe School of Medicine in the United States. If you are AOA and get a 250 on your step 1, suddenly joe smoe school doesnt really matter.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.