[OT] Bad astigmatism and toric lenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puncho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried out contacts before and they were blurry. My optometrist said that I have bad astigmatism (need toric) and it would be hard for him to prescribe them to me.

However, after I got him to prescribe me glasses and they weren't that good and when I went elsewhere, they got it right the first time. So I'm thinking my optometrist might have a bad optician or something :\

Now, I plan on going to another optometrist and trying it out again, but I'd like a bit of feedback first so that I don't waste my time trying to fit into contacts that may not be suitable. Anyways, on my glasses prescription form it says, Right: -5.00, -1.50x180 Left: -6.00, -1.50x170 (Power, Cylinder x Axis).

Would you say it's possible to get toric lenses for me? Which type would you recommend?
Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

puncho said:
Hey guys, I tried out contacts before and they were blurry. My optometrist said that I have bad astigmatism (need toric) and it would be hard for him to prescribe them to me.

However, after I got him to prescribe me glasses and they weren't that good and when I went elsewhere, they got it right the first time. So I'm thinking my optometrist might have a bad optician or something :\

Now, I plan on going to another optometrist and trying it out again, but I'd like a bit of feedback first so that I don't waste my time trying to fit into contacts that may not be suitable. Anyways, on my glasses prescription form it says, Right: -5.00, -1.50x180 Left: -6.00, -1.50x170 (Power, Cylinder x Axis).

Would you say it's possible to get toric lenses for me? Which type would you recommend?

your prescription really isn't that bad. You should easily be fit into toric lenses. The only thing that would potentially make it hard would be if you were a borderline keratoconic. (which a topography of your cornea would tell)

My rx is even higher than yours (in both power and cyl) and I'm fit relatively easily in toric lenses.

I wear Soflens 66 Toric personally, but almost any toric would most likely work. If you were unhappy with your OD .. find a new one.
Good luck !

Hey, cpw. Thanks a lot for your response. Yeah, I intend to try another optometrist and hopefully he can fit me better :)

Members don't see this ad :)
puncho said:

Yes, CPW's advise on ruling out keratoconus with topography is a good idea.
Make sure the new OD modifies your SRx for vertex distance.

I have a toric contact lense for my left eye and it works great. I had trouble determining who I was looking at in the hallways before I got it. My prescription (for glasses) is -10.50-1.25x1.75

The contacts I have are Bausch & Lomb Softlens 66 Toric
I haven't had any problems at all with them.

this is my script -3.00 -3.25 x175
-2.00 -3.00 x006

Haven't really found anything that has been all that great yet. No k-cone, and I hate RGP's, whenever I tried them they hurt like hell, and the vision was blurry through them.

The soft torics are ok, but any slight movement off axis and its blurred.

Just frustrating

with as much cyl as you have.. any movement of your axis will be blurry. RGPs probably would be your best bet, but if you cannot tolerate them soft torics are the way to go. But, they'll never be as "sharp" as your glasses.