OT in Sports Rehab/Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIUPanther

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm currently in my 2nd year of OT school and I'm trying to figure out which area of OT I would like to work in. I've always been a big sports fan and would love to work with those who sustain sports-related injuries. I know sports medicine is an area dominated by PT, but is there a place for OTs in within this area? Also, how would this setting compare with other OT settings? And to what extent are ADLs addressed in a sports rehab setting? If there are any OTs or even students that have experience in sports rehab please share your experiences. Also, I'm thinking a CHT would be more qualified to work in a sports rehab setting than a general OT. Am I correct to assume this? If that's the case, then I might consider pursuing hand therapy.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are on the right track there w/ the CHT.
I knew of an OT at a sports clinic, but she was also a Physician's Assistant, and that is a great combination. (if you have years out the yang to be in school...but that's another story i guess.)

many a sports clinic puts their patient on a machine and walks away for a half hour..... I cant say I would enjoy working at such a 'rehab mill'

I think you are on the right track there w/ the CHT.
I knew of an OT at a sports clinic, but she was also a Physician's Assistant, and that is a great combination. (if you have years out the yang to be in school...but that's another story i guess.)

many a sports clinic puts their patient on a machine and walks away for a half hour..... I cant say I would enjoy working at such a 'rehab mill'

Thanks for the reply! Yea I'm leaning towards the whole CHT thing and then working in sports rehab, either that, or peds (yea I know, two completely different areas lol). But yea I know how that whole "put a patient on an exercise machine and leave" thing works. I just finished a clinical rotation this summer and that's basically what my CI did, and it wasn't even in a sports clinic. It was an inpatient rehab hospital. But yea after that experience I definitely realized how I don't want to be as an OT, or even a CI for that matter.

The hand therapy route is definitely the right one for you; I am heading down that same path. Realize that you have to work for 5 years and have 4000 hours in hand therapy before you can sit for the CHT exam...not that you can't practice in hands during that time...

Check out asht.org if you are intersted...good resource for info.