Other OT-Related Information OT or PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josnnaf219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to OT school in several months. Unfortunately, I've been getting cold feet about pursuing a career in OT, as OT school is very expensive (USC tuition is over $120,000). I understand that PT school is also very expensive, but the salary of PT's is also slightly higher than that of OT's. Salary is very important to me, as I plan to continue living in Santa Monica, CA. PT also appear to be more of a respectable field compared to OT, even though OT's do extremely important work to improve the lives of their clients.

I originally was going to pursue an education in Physical Therapy, but then fell in love with the OT field after shadowing various therapists.

Why are you pursuing a career in OT? Have you ever thought about becoming a PT? Why did you decide against it?

Thanks! And sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to OT school in several months. Unfortunately, I've been getting cold feet about pursuing a career in OT, as OT school is very expensive (USC tuition is over $120,000). I understand that PT school is also very expensive, but the salary of PT's is also slightly higher than that of OT's. Salary is very important to me, as I plan to continue living in Santa Monica, CA. PT also appear to be more of a respectable field compared to OT, even though OT's do extremely important work to improve the lives of their clients.

I originally was going to pursue an education in Physical Therapy, but then fell in love with the OT field after shadowing various therapists.

Why are you pursuing a career in OT? Have you ever thought about becoming a PT? Why did you decide against it?

Thanks! And sorry for the long post!

Not from the coasts so IDK what people think what is respectable but pay wise from what I remember being told OT/PT get paid pretty much same in SNF. Home care atm in my area OT gets paid more per visit but PT probably gets more visits. There also seems to be more OTs in the hospital compared to being outnumbered in outpatient 1:4 lol.

I am going to be starting my level II soon and I am looking forward to acute care and in the future hands. Most people doing hands are OTs.

Join the club with high loan balance:)

I go to a school where OT and PT are pretty much in the same classes for the first year or so. Both professions help people in different ways. It just depends on what you want to do.

I was pursuing PT when I was younger when starting out and thought about becoming both while in school but thought better of it debt wise haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly if PTs are more "respected" I think it's only because people aren't as familiar with OT. But this doesn't necessarily mean OTs are disrespected. If you "fell in love" with OT then choose OT! Why did you fall in love with it? Have you shadowed in PT at all? Everyone has their own reasons for choosing, but in the end it comes down to what's important to you and what YOU like about it :)

For me; I just think OT is more personal and has more of a human element. I also like that they help treat cognitive problems (like mental illness and autism). They work with populations that society pretty much pushes to the side. I think this is very important.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think part of the reason OTs make less is because it seems like there's more OTs working in schools than PTs, which lowers the average.

But anyway, if you're concerned about salary that much that you'd choose PT over OT for a small amount, maybe you should look into becoming a PA instead. That way you can make money and help others as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly to me a salary difference of 5,000 between PT and OT doesn't make that much difference, especially when you consider that in certain areas of the country and in certain concentrations that ratio flips and OTs are the ones making more. Do which field you love more - what you think you can see yourself doing for a career - for me that is OT because there is such variety and so many different disorders and conditions and injuries that you treat as well as so many different settings. I think over time more people will learn the difference between what PTs do and what OTs do. A lot of this has to do with marketing and advertising and exposure. In the end, just do what makes you happy. You're going to make money either way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'm a PT student at Touro University Nevada, which has both an OT and PT program. For me, I chose PT not because of salary or respectability of the profession, but because I love muscles, I wanted a career in healthcare, and I had so much fun shadowing physical therapists that I couldn't imagine another profession I'd pursue. At Touro, we've taken some classes with the OT students. The PT students obviously love and respect their program, and the OT students also obviously love and respect their program. It all depends on which personally appeals to you more. As you said, you have experience shadowing in the OT field and loved it. That's great. I suggest shadowing some PT's to really compare the experiences. Also, I would recommend looking up the curriculums of OT and PT programs at schools you're interested in to see which you'd rather invest your time, energy, and money on. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user