OT: Pre-vet Gamers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just swung by the vet school and every one of our statues is a poke stop... and there's a gym next to the ER entrance. :heckyeah:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I can only imagine how competitive the gyms located in/around colleges and schools are going to be...
I'm currently still level two and trying to catch pokemon as I walk to and from work, but there are poke stores and gyms everywhere on my work campus! Now if only it weren't so hot, humid, and miserable to walk outside.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can only imagine how competitive the gyms located in/around colleges and schools are going to be...
I'm currently still level two and trying to catch pokemon as I walk to and from work, but there are poke stores and gyms everywhere on my work campus! Now if only it weren't so hot, humid, and miserable to walk outside.
Off-topic of Pokemon Go, but +1000 points for using an avatar with one of the best cats in gaming. Glad to see someone else like that game :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Off-topic of Pokemon Go, but +1000 points for using an avatar with one of the best cats in gaming. Glad to see someone else like that game :love:
Yay! I'm glad you recognized him! Haha. I wasn't sure if it was too obscure an avatar but it's cute regardless. :joyful:

Made some good progress on Go today, between all of the server nonsense! Got to level 8 and joined Team Instinct. Took over my first gym, woo!

I've been trying at random intervals throughout today but it's now been well over 36 hours since a successful login for me... :boom:
Either an "unable to authenticate" error or perpetual loading symbol. :( Maybe I shouldn't have signed up via Pokemon Trainer Club.

On a better note though has anyone else noticed size difference icons on their pokemon's bio? My charmander is XL in both weight and height, haha!

Last edited:
This was hilarious. Three poke stops with lures on campus...

WdGXraX.jpg

0PoxPB6.jpg

(And this was after people left, ha).

Oh, and just noticed only two had lures in the screenshot. That was fixed quickly!

Pokémon Go is the catalyst for me getting a smartphone.
Recommendations, everyone?

Pokémon Go is the catalyst for me getting a smartphone.
Recommendations, everyone?

The Samsung Galaxy S7 (or S5, if you don't want a brand new phone -- would not recommend the S6) is a really solid, reliable smartphone with Android OS. I am personally not a fan of iPhones/Apple products. I had an S5 for 2 years and recently upgraded to an S7 edge, and I've been very happy!

The Samsung Galaxy S7 (or S5, if you don't want a brand new phone -- would not recommend the S6) is a really solid, reliable smartphone with Android OS. I am personally not a fan of iPhones/Apple products. I had an S5 for 2 years and recently upgraded to an S7 edge, and I've been very happy!
I'm so split between Apple and Android devices. I have an iTouch that I love, but it's wifi only.
Follow up question. Sprint, AT&T? Other PAYG service provider?

I'm so split between Apple and Android devices. I have an iTouch that I love, but it's wifi only.
It depends on where you're located. I use Verizon Wireless, which I believe offers PAYG. I'd check coverage maps for your location and wherever you go most, or where you may end up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
go to the store and play with them. If you're more comfortable with Apple, you may want to stick with them.

I think straighttalk is a pretty good deal. You may want to look into it.

I'm a big fan of the Galaxy S series as well. I have the S5 now and it's a pretty solid phone. It's starting to get a little buggy and run down now, so if I have the money I may upgrade to the 7 or try to wait until they release the 8. I wouldn't bother with the S6 since they took away the ability to upgrade storage via a microSD card on that model. Brought it back for the S7.

As far as provider, definitely look at coverage maps or ask friends how their service is. I have ATT which was great in Philly. I've noticed it seems to be slightly less solid up in Providence, RI though.

The galaxy series is really solid for Android. I actually have an LG phone that is uncommon but I really like (Flex 2). Apple drives me crazy because of the lack of customizability but they also have fantastic support and a lot of apps, so there's ups and downs there. Depends how much you like the Apple spiel in general. :)

Pokemon Go, though, man... that picture earlier was nothing. One of our downtown squares at 10pm had five lures running and >200 people all walking around passing info about best spots in Raleigh.

Apple drives me crazy because of the lack of customizability but they also have fantastic support and a lot of apps, so there's ups and downs there. Depends how much you like the Apple spiel in general. :)
Yeppp, pretty much. I'm not an Apple person in the way of other products like computers, but I did love my idevices (old ipod nano and itouch) so that level of app support was one of the main reason why I decided an iPhone for my first smartphone. The customizability thing is definitely my biggest problem with it though, super frustrating and why I'm not a general Apple fan...buuut i'm also not a big fan of the android OS (though the selection of phones is pretty awesome), and Windows' app selection is sad, so I can deal with the downsides.

Every day during our lunch break, someone puts a lure on the aquarium entrance pokestop that's reachable from the break room. It's a great system :prof:
It kills me that I haven't been able to challenge any gyms yet though--can't walk over to the one at work due to public phone policy (unless you're willing to change out of uniform after clocking out :laugh:). Passed by some interesting gym locations in nearby towns (so many of them are at churches?), but I still haven't gone into my own town with it yet so I wonder what points of interest there are.

Last edited:
Yeppp, pretty much. I'm not an Apple person in the way of other products like computers, but I did love my idevices (old ipod nano and itouch) so that level of app support was one of the main reason why I decided an iPhone for my first smartphone. The customizability thing is definitely my biggest problem with it though, super frustrating and why I'm not a general Apple fan...buuut i'm also not a big fan of the android OS (though the selection of phones is pretty awesome), and Windows' app selection is sad, so I can deal with the downsides.

Every day during our lunch break, someone puts a lure on the aquarium entrance pokestop that's reachable from the break room. It's a great system :prof:
It kills me that I haven't been able to challenge any gyms yet though--can't walk over to the one at work due to public phone policy (unless you're willing to change out of uniform after clocking out :laugh:). Passed by some interesting gym locations in nearby towns (so many of them are at churches?), but I still haven't gone into my own town with it yet so I wonder what points of interest there are.
Yeah I liked my old Apple music devices. My whole family actually has iphones (and macs) except for me... partially at my urging because they kept asking for computer help. :laugh: They're great devices, just frustrating to me when I'm used to being able to do emulators, customize out the wazoo, etc.

Windows phones... lol.

You're not missing out on much in gyms. They're super super glitchy right now (lots of fights will freeze with your opponent having 1hp left...), honestly pretty frustrating. I'm just doing the catching thing and holding off on them right now. Plus team Mystic already holds most of them around here. ;)

Yeah I liked my old Apple music devices. My whole family actually has iphones (and macs) except for me... partially at my urging because they kept asking for computer help. :laugh: They're great devices, just frustrating to me when I'm used to being able to do emulators, customize out the wazoo, etc.

Windows phones... lol.

You're not missing out on much in gyms. They're super super glitchy right now (lots of fights will freeze with your opponent having 1hp left...), honestly pretty frustrating. I'm just doing the catching thing and holding off on them right now. Plus team Mystic already holds most of them around here. ;)
You just reminded me about a chem TA I had in undergrad who was obsessed with Windows phones. He figured out my lab partner had one and he talked to her about them literally every day.

I joked about it with him once and he came up during lab later and whispered "Windows phone" in my ear and I thought he was going to murder me. (thankfully he did not)

There's not really a point to this story, I just always had really weird TAs in college.

Not sure how I feel about PokemonGo coming out right before starting vet school... This could be seriously dangerous! :ninja:

Reactions: 4 users
This was hilarious. Three poke stops with lures on campus...
I saw 5 on campus this morning when I went to work... We're supposed to be this huge research institution but the summer interns/post-bacs/probably post-docs too are having a field day with the amount of pokestops here. Haha.

Not sure how I feel about PokemonGo coming out right before starting vet school... This could be seriously dangerous! :ninja:
But it's also a great bonding opportunity. Hike around town to explore and catch pokemon, with drinks after? Yes please. We have a pokemon go post on our class page already. :D

I'm getting irritated because anytime I boot up the app on my iTouch, I keep getting told that I don't have a GPS signal

whatever their new waterproof phone is - it's not actually waterproof and there may be a lawsuit soon. I'd probably keep that in mind.

Are you talking about the new S7?

The S5 and S7 are water resistant -- up to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes. I ran mine through the washing machine once by accident and it came out okay. Do you know which phone turned out not to be waterproof and what happened to it?

So today I went on a family trip to the movies, and was able to make a drive-by Gym visit in traffic on the way back (was already a blue/mystic gym so it was just the "training" thing), but this is exactly what happened. :dead:

Some of the gym/pokestop locations that I find crack me up--tiny town neighboring mine has a gym at "Armadillo with style" (a cowboy armadillo statue in front of some random barbecue restaurant) :laugh:

Yep, avoiding gyms ATM. As much as I'd love to paint the town yellow, I've encountered the 1 HP bug a few too many times...

Where are my Blizznerdies, Legion is coming. As are application deadlines but who cares about those right

Where are my Blizznerdies, Legion is coming. As are application deadlines but who cares about those right

Blizzard is one of my all time favorites! Have never played WoW though. I'm more of a Diablo and StarCraft fan. :p Good luck with your application!

I'm enjoying it so far. Getting level-carried, but the questing is good!

I'm enjoying it so far. Getting level-carried, but the questing is good!

You're a vet student you can't have time for such silly games (though you're right, and Stormheim's story is great).

You're a vet student you can't have time for such silly games (though you're right, and Stormheim's story is great).

Which is why I'm only 102, even with the carry. A level a day is what I've allocated. And after studying. :confused: (Just finished Val'sharah. I had opinions.)

I'm a vet and I have time for silly games!! :rage:

As an adult vet of course you have to have time for silly games, silly.

Which is why I'm only 102, even with the carry. A level a day is what I've allocated. And after studying. :confused: (Just finished Val'sharah. I had opinions.)

I admire your self-control, I played until 2AM launch day... first time I've done that since like HS I think, lol. And you're absolutely right, Valsh's progression seemed a little forced, especially the ending. Still interesting but something just didn't connect in the main chain.

That's the twist.

This entire forum doesn't exist.

SDN IS A LIE :eek:

We're all just figments of someone's imagination. Sick, twisted, nerdy figments, forced to play the roles we've been assigned.

...I wonder what my character sheet would look like

We're all just figments of someone's imagination. Sick, twisted, nerdy figments, forced to play the roles we've been assigned.

...I wonder what my character sheet would look like
Mine would contain a lot of really poor dice roles.

Stay/go? Role a 4, get neither and wallow in panic until next turn.

Stay/go? Role a 3 and go, but all the treasure turns out to be fake. Lose a turn!

Roll for armor against job loss and financial struggle? Roll a 5, get armor, but face a troll who traps you in armor and squeezes you until the armor is crushing you.

What will you roll now?

Mine would contain a lot of really poor dice roles.

Stay/go? Role a 4, get neither and wallow in panic until next turn.

Stay/go? Role a 3 and go, but all the treasure turns out to be fake. Lose a turn!

Roll for armor against job loss and financial struggle? Roll a 5, get armor, but face a troll who traps you in armor and squeezes you until the armor is crushing you.

What will you roll now?

Hopefully something that'll get me past this damn skill check, but my dice only work when there's nothing at stake. We need some new bones

This is more of a rant, but it's Wow based so I'll put it here.

Legion came out and I'm trying to keep playing with my guild. I've known these people for years and years, plus I want to keep interests in things other than the all consuming maw of vet school.

My guild actually did help me level up pretty quickly (mostly in the actions of one person) but gearing takes longer. We set a minimum ilevel requirement for raiding so I have to meet it.

One girl offered me a spot in her mythic group (she and her husband are tank/healer) to try and gear me this week. They said they do 1-2 mythics a night and like to take the same people. One to two is at most what I can handle so it seems perfect. I can't chain spam mythics on the weekend because of another exam. Tuesday runs go well, we clear three instances.

Last night at 9 pm I got a text saying they would run all the rest of them In one chunk if I wanted to join. I said I had an exam tomorrow, and could probably run one. They said they would pug the rest of them, because someone had plans on the weekend (the whole weekend?) and it was now or never for me. They wouldn't work with me, wouldn't compromise or anything. The conversation was pretty cold, tbh. It was a huge slap in the face.

Lockouts don't expire until TUESDAY but you have to run them all now? The attitude I got was really unsupportive. Wouldn't have joined up with them in the first place if I knew they would pull this. I've tried to explain how difficult it is to budget time to even play at all, but they all work 9-5 desk jobs and don't understand the magnitude of vet school. It makes me question whether putting in that time to be raid ready is even worth it.

Legion came out and I'm trying to keep playing with my guild. I've known these people for years and years, plus I want to keep interests in things other than the all consuming maw of vet school.

My guild actually did help me level up pretty quickly (mostly in the actions of one person) but gearing takes longer. We set a minimum ilevel requirement for raiding so I have to meet it.

One girl offered me a spot in her mythic group (she and her husband are tank/healer) to try and gear me this week. They said they do 1-2 mythics a night and like to take the same people. One to two is at most what I can handle so it seems perfect. I can't chain spam mythics on the weekend because of another exam. Tuesday runs go well, we clear three instances.

Last night at 9 pm I got a text saying they would run all the rest of them In one chunk if I wanted to join. I said I had an exam tomorrow, and could probably run one. They said they would pug the rest of them, because someone had plans on the weekend (the whole weekend?) and it was now or never for me. They wouldn't work with me, wouldn't compromise or anything. The conversation was pretty cold, tbh. It was a huge slap in the face.

Lockouts don't expire until TUESDAY but you have to run them all now? The attitude I got was really unsupportive. Wouldn't have joined up with them in the first place if I knew they would pull this. I've tried to explain how difficult it is to budget time to even play at all, but they all work 9-5 desk jobs and don't understand the magnitude of vet school. It makes me question whether putting in that time to be raid ready is even worth it.

It's that kind of attitude that helped turn me off end-game type stuff. It's basically another job and source of drama, and people eventually put themselves ahead of the camaraderie of being with guildmates. I mostly just level alts now myself, or level/run some dungeons with friends, and if I want gear I can always join up on pugs or the weekly events and get a piece here or there that way. Also professions, achievement, mount, and transmog hunting. The game's much less stressful when you're able to play it on your terms.

Ech, that sucks. I know the feeling - I've been dying to play but work schedule just has not allowed much. Actually that's one of the reasons I never really joined a guild because I knew my schedule would just be too impractical for that. I'm almost entirely a pickup PvPer/BG pugger.

Maybe one day I'll get into raiding.

BTW hope the lab exam today went well or at least tolerable! I didn't see anybody crying during either session so that's a good sign I guess :lol:

Last edited:
Ech, that sucks. I know the feeling - I've been dying to play but work schedule just has not allowed much. Actually that's one of the reasons I never really joined a guild because I knew my schedule would just be too impractical for that. I'm almost entirely a pickup PvPer/BG pugger.

Maybe one day I'll get into raiding.

BTW hope the lab exam today went well or at least tolerable! I didn't see anybody crying during either session so that's a good sign I guess :lol:

The only reason to play for me is the raiding..part of that is my group but that's also the content I enjoy the most. If I gave up raiding, I wouldn't wow at all.

My GL has offered to tank a mythic group for me this weekend whenever my schedule allows it, so that's the positive side of the dumb story.

Were you the other proctor, then? Now I know who you is...:p

I *think* the exam went well. I came out feeling confident....but I did hear some complaints about question wordings from the people in class so stuck around to hear the answer key....so I guess I'll find out when scores were posted. :shrug: