General Admissions & OTCAS OT Schools--Where to Apply/Chances of getting in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTHOPEFULE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been putting off applying to OT school mainly because I'm scared of rejection..(yes I understand how dumb that is). ANYWAY I am finally ready to apply this year but want to hear back from some of you (OT students, prospective students etc.) the honest truth of my chances to get in and what I can improve. So this is what I've got:
Bachelor's of Science in Biokinetics (Exercise Science Emphasis)
400+ Hours of shadowing/observation/work experience
3.19 GPA-- (Fully aware this needs improvement but want to see if there's a chance without retaking classes).
I have many great references and have been working with special needs children and adults for the past 5 years, I've worked as a Para in schools, aide at therapy clinics and PCA for families.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been putting off applying to OT school mainly because I'm scared of rejection..(yes I understand how dumb that is). ANYWAY I am finally ready to apply this year but want to hear back from some of you (OT students, prospective students etc.) the honest truth of my chances to get in and what I can improve. So this is what I've got:
Bachelor's of Science in Biokinetics (Exercise Science Emphasis)
400+ Hours of shadowing/observation/work experience
3.19 GPA-- (Fully aware this needs improvement but want to see if there's a chance without retaking classes).
I have many great references and have been working with special needs children and adults for the past 5 years, I've worked as a Para in schools, aide at therapy clinics and PCA for families.
Based on the information you provided, you definitely have a good chance in my opinion. Maybe look in to schools that interview and if you're worried about your GPA, maybe retake a class or two since you're so close to a 3.2.

I was really worried about getting in. I mean I stressed for years while I was in my undergrad and taking prerequisites. I focused on building hours in a variety of OT settings, participating in meaningful volunteer opportunities in the healthcare field, and writing an excellent personal statement. I had multiple people read and edit my statement and it was really helpful. Great letters of recommendation backs everything you've worked so hard on too.

Looking back I wish I wouldn't have stressed out so much and had more confidence in myself. I applied to 3 schools and was accepted to all 3 and I will be attending my dream school!

So I am a rising senior at Pitt applying to OT programs this summer and, similar to you, I'm honestly worried about my chances of getting into school. Here are my stats:
  • 3.098 overall GPA
  • 3.5 prerequisite GPA
  • GRE Scores: haven't taken exam yet
  • 250 observation hours in acute care/outpatient/home care/school settings
  • Undergraduate research in ADHD
  • Internship at the Children's Institute, CHOP, and Riddle Hospital
  • Completed an program in learning how to work with special needs children
  • Volunteer for The Friendship Circle--A non-profit that helps children with special needs
I am mostly concerned because I received a C+ in Anatomy & Physiology II. I know schools weigh this prerequisite more than others in the review process so I am worried this aspect of my application will hurt my chances. That said, I am wondering if I have a chance of being accepted to the somewhat competitive MSOT programs and if there are any programs that value experience and extracurriculars equally or more so than GPA (which is my downfall). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am a rising senior at Pitt applying to OT programs this summer and, similar to you, I'm honestly worried about my chances of getting into school. Here are my stats:
  • 3.098 overall GPA
  • 3.5 prerequisite GPA
  • Volunteer for The Friendship Circle--A non-profit that helps children with special needs
I am mostly concerned because I received a C+ in Anatomy & Physiology II. I know schools weigh this prerequisite more than others in the review process so I am worried this aspect of my application will hurt my chances. That said, I am wondering if I have a chance of being accepted to the somewhat competitive MSOT programs and if there are any programs that value experience and extracurriculars equally or more so than GPA (which is my downfall). Thank you!
I would apply to schools that look at the last 60 credits. Maybe, schools that are not yet accred. I would skip out on the GRE and work on LORs and Personal statements. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
  • 3.098 overall GPA
  • 3.5 prerequisite GPA

look into gannon and nyu.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a chance. Make sure your personal statement and LORs are outstanding. And do not apply to schools that are not accredited. I repeat, for the love of God, DO NOT do that.

Reactions: 1 users

Double check that the schools you want to apply to don't require a B or higher for their Anatomy & Physio. From my research, I've seen some, but I haven't kept track of it. Plus, pretty much all OT programs pretty much start with Anatomy & Physio in the first year, so it'd be good to be good at those either way.

I think you have a chance, work hard on your personal statement and apply early! I got into a really good program with a 3.014 gpa. Let me know if you have any questions always happy to help.

I think it also depends what schools you're applying to. For example, the MSOT program I'm in seems to be all about the GRE scores (specifically the writing). We've all kind of discussed where we were at coming into this and the one thing we all had in common was that we scored 4.5 on the writing GRE. Our GPA's ranged from 2.9 (she was a late admit due to someone dropping at the last minute but had really great GRE scores) to 4.0. Decide what schools you want to go to, talk to people who go there, and find out the real deal on what you need.

I am also in the same situation and I am trying to figure out what I should do.

I received and C in A&P II lab and I am trying to figure out should I retake the course

My GPA is a 3.22 Cumulative
My Pre-req GPA is a 3.15-3.4 -- I still have to take sociology this fall
do you think I should retake A&P II and also do you think I should apply to programs that does not require the GRE ( I also haven't took the GRE yet)?

I am also in the same situation and I am trying to figure out what I should do.

I received and C in A&P II lab and I am trying to figure out should I retake the course

My GPA is a 3.22 Cumulative
My Pre-req GPA is a 3.15-3.4 -- I still have to take sociology this fall
do you think I should retake A&P II and also do you think I should apply to programs that does not require the GRE ( I also haven't took the GRE yet)?

I would definitely retake A&P II if you can and try to get an A. And personally, I would take the GREs. I'm in the same boat as you- GPA is approx 3.3 and I'm definitely taking the GRE because it might compensate for the lower GPA.

You have a chance. Make sure your personal statement and LORs are outstanding. And do not apply to schools that are not accredited. I repeat, for the love of God, DO NOT do that.

Where I go currently, Slippery Rock University, just got an OT program so whenever I apply, I will be part of the first class if I go there. I guess it won't get accredited until my class would get through it? I'm not sure as I have questions about it. Do you know anything about the accreditation process of a new program lol. Our director created the OT program at JMU too so he is experienced.

Where I go currently, Slippery Rock University, just got an OT program so whenever I apply, I will be part of the first class if I go there. I guess it won't get accredited until my class would get through it? I'm not sure as I have questions about it. Do you know anything about the accreditation process of a new program lol. Our director created the OT program at JMU too so he is experienced.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. I know it's a lengthy process. So if they started the accreditation process before the program opened, if that's possible, you may be fine. If not, it could be problematic. Accreditation takes 2+ years. Also, as far as I'm aware, the institution must have been in operation for at least 2 years before even beginning the accreditation process. So that's a 2-4 year process, depending on the school. It's just a heavy risk to take, because it'll effect your chances of employment. I'd see if they could relay where they were in that process, and then it'll be up to you to decide if you want to trust that.

Hey all,
I'm currently in my last semester as an undergraduate, and I'm highly interested in applying to an OT school after graduation. I'm currently looking at Brenau University and MUSC. I know my stats are not stellar,:( but it'll be awesome if y'all can give me your insight on if you think I have a shot at getting accepted into an OT Program.

Cum GPA: 3.25 hopefully I'll end with a 3.35
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: I have not taken it yet...
Volunteer: 50 hours
Work experience: I currently a Registered Behavior Technician who works with kids who have mental disabilities.

ANY ADVICE IS HELPFUL!!!! THANKS!!!!