Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OT: Sonicare line of electrics

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Ice24, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Ice24

I did a search for the topic but only found older threads on the topic but none that addressed this part of the subject.

I was looking to buy an electric toothbrush and have decided on a Sonicare.
    Now the question I have is that with such a broad line of models what difference do they really have between them at the end of the day?
    Clearly some have more timers or sanitizer functions but in terms of performance and improvement in gum health how do they differ if at all?

I am specifically wondering if I should go with an Elite model or a FlexCare model.

Thanks in advance all!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    WTF

What are we toothbrush salesmen??? This a predental forum not a toothbrush advisory forum. Ask your dentist which to buy.

4. Ice24

1) If you had a problem with the thread you should just have skipped over it

2) Do a search, this sort of subject has been thrown around in the past with no issues or complaints from mods. If I had seen it was frowned upon by the admins I wouldn't have asked.

3) what crawled up your butt?

5. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    LOL your first post and you are asking pre-dental students what type of brush to buy. How should we know.

6. alanan84

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I really don't think many people on here are going to know much about this. All I know is the dentist I shadow sells one of the sonicare brushes in his office. (I have no idea which one) He says they're really good. Klutzy is right, you'd be better off just to talk to your dentist about that specifics behind that.

7. mddang

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You're better off reading reviews on Amazon..

Anyways, from what I've read (or what I think I remember reading... I recently ordered a Sonicare toothbrush.. waiting for the friggin thing to come in!), the Elite models beep every 30 seconds, while the FlexCare models only beep after 2 minutes. Other than that, they are about the same..

8. MissionDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I picked up the model they have at Costco last year and it has been working great. Check out Costco...their products are usually top notch...

9. jay47

jay47 Think Positively!
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have the absolute most basic model of Sonicare toothbrush and absolutely love it. I have use the same one for three years straight. After one year, it just died on me, and Philips actually sent me a new one! (I did register it for free online thought)

I don't think the more expensive ones will give you that much more of a cleaning, but go with what you like.
    Mine does not have a flexible handle, and that would be nice, but I don't absolutely need it.

10. Ice24

I had spoken with my dentist and he sells OralB brand brushes out of his office. I also got the feeling that he just wanted me to buy from him. I don't know what if any vested interest he may have had but I figured appealing to a broad group of individuals in here who are in the dental healthcare field would yield a more informed opinion than regular consumer opinions like on Amazon.

11. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    LOL, liked that.

12. Flipper405

Flipper405 "Excessive" flosser
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have had the Sonicare Advance for many years now.... this is some reliable equipment - I love it. I think this is the basic brush, although they just released the elite heads for use with the old advance brushes. It looks a little ghetto cause the color doesn't quite match, but whatever... it has a little different vibration every 30 s if you want to get each "quadrant" of your mouth. I think the biggest benefit is that you just brush until it cuts off so you always get a full 2 minutes rather than having to think "OK, this has been enough"

13. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Newest one is the flexcare model with the UV light cleaner...its the one I have and the one I get all my friends with the dental professions discount.

14. ^^Your dental professions discount? You start dental school next year - 2009. Someone is eager (p.s. you're not a dental student yet).

also, apparently we get a lot of stuff for free from going to conferences and stuff during dental school so maybe wait and see before buying a new electric toothbrush (how much is a sonicare?)

edit: unless you are an assistant then i guess you're a dental professional

#13 219122, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
  15. eventualOMFS

eventualOMFS in another life...
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I too get a "dental professions" discount on Sonicare toothbrushes. It's because I work in a dental office (that might be the case with Dinoze, not sure that he's claiming a dental profession discount before matriculating). Just wanted to make everyone aware that if you work for a dentist, you have access to some really great deals on these things. I really like mine.

16. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Go to the dollar store, that's what I do.
    Last month, I got a 24 pack of toothbrushes for a dollar. Hopefully, that will last a while. Yeah, they come with lead too.:D

17. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I've been using Oral-B electrics for 12 years, given to me by my dad (dentist). He actually recommended the sonicare, but I didn't like the feeling of it in my mouth at the time, and I became "branded" to Oral-B rotaries. I recently went to his office for a cleaning this summer and he suggested the sonicare again, so I decided to try it and I love it. My dad says these sonic brushes are superior to rotary, but that there's no real difference between Oral-B's sonic (which I guess is new?) and Sonicare's sonic.

I still prefer to use a manual brush for my tongue because these electrics don't seem to do the job for some reason.

#16 Ranelar, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008