General Admissions & OTCAS OT Students and Applicants of Color

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgyal

Reaction score
hey y'all! I'm interested to see where my OT student and applicant POC are at. Have any applicants decided on a school yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! Still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was accepted to TWU Houston and D'Youville! Committing to TWU :) What about y'all, where did you apply?

Reactions: 1 user
I also got into dyouville. But I committed to MCPHS in New Hampshire!

I hope we can all make an impact to make the field more diverse!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone and wishing everyone luck! I’m going to NYU in the Fall.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to USC, SJ State, U Puget Sound, and Tufts U. I got waitlisted for USC and accepted to SJSU & U Puget Sound. I will likely attend SJSU!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone! I will be attending The University of Illinois at Chicago

Hello! I am applying for the 2020-2021 Cohort. Do you guys have any advice or things you wish you knew before applying? Also do you mind sharing your stats

Attending the Ohio State University's OTD. Starting in a couple of weeks!

Hello! I am applying for the 2020-2021 Cohort. Do you guys have any advice or things you wish you knew before applying? Also do you mind sharing your stats

Don’t sell yourself short just because you think everyone else’s stats are better! I almost didn’t apply because I thought I’d be a weak applicant but an old friend convinced me and I got accepted to 2/3 schools :) also don’t go crazy accumulating a bunch of hours, just make sure you observe a good variety of practices. (Unless the school asks for a specific amount of hours).

Don’t sell yourself short just because you think everyone else’s stats are better! I almost didn’t apply because I thought I’d be a weak applicant but an old friend convinced me and I got accepted to 2/3 schools :) also don’t go crazy accumulating a bunch of hours, just make sure you observe a good variety of practices. (Unless the school asks for a specific amount of hours).
I definitely agree with that! I compared myself to people on here and only applied to two schools last year and didn't get accepted to either. This year I added a few more hours and was completely finished with my prereqs. I was just accepted to all four schools I applied to. So definitely don't sell yourself short or give up!

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I am just nervous since my GPA isn't the strongest and have been on here way too much trying to compare and decide which schools I should apply to!

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I am just nervous since my GPA isn't the strongest and have been on here way too much trying to compare and decide which schools I should apply to!
Let me tell you, my GPA wasn't a 4.0 and I definitely didn't do amazing on the GRE. Where I "lacked" (I put in quotes because I worked hard in school and still did VERY well!) in perfection with my grades, I made up for my experiences. Maybe some schools only value GPA and GRE scores. However, I have found my experiences and my motivation to be an OT have pushed my application forward and schools want all kinds of diversity in applicants.

My GPA definitely wasn’t the best (OTCAS calculated my undergrad was under a 3.0– but my prerequisites still a community college bumped me up to an OTCAS 3.18 total) but I applied to one school and received an acceptance! I was planning on applying to more once I could afford it but as soon as I received my acceptance I decided to stick to this one :) You got this! Don’t sell yourself short! There’s other threads about low GPA that show which schools use the last 60 units and that’s what helped me

If you really like the program, you should apply to it! If you are worried that a school won't want to because of a number, do you really want to go there? Your personal statement is your chance to tell the program who you really are including your passions and aspirations. I think another thing programs really like is research, so if you have the opportunity to get involved with research (any kind, doesn't need to be OT related) that looks great. Considering the circumstances that may not be possible right now, but you could always start looking into OT research and connect it to your future goals and try and incorporate that into your personal statement.

My GPA definitely wasn’t the best (OTCAS calculated my undergrad was under a 3.0– but my prerequisites still a community college bumped me up to an OTCAS 3.18 total) but I applied to one school and received an acceptance! I was planning on applying to more once I could afford it but as soon as I received my acceptance I decided to stick to this one :) You got this! Don’t sell yourself short! There’s other threads about low GPA that show which schools use the last 60 units and that’s what helped me

I'm in the same boat as well I've been coming on here looking for schools I could potentially apply to for the 2020-2021 cycle. I'm so excited to be pursuing OT in the future as I am a first-generation college student. My parent's pretty much-forced pre med as a major onto me when I was a freshman which was VERY detrimental to my mental health and my GPA. it wasn't until my junior year (last year) is when I said enough was enough and changed my major behind their backs to exercise science to be pre OT. Once again I am SUPER excited to become a OT because it was all I ever dreamed about becoming and I'm so happy my parents finally accepted the fact that that was what I wanted to pursue instead of becoming a medical doctor. I'm just literally so excited lol anyways are there a list of OT schools that look at the last 60 credits?

I'm in the same boat as well I've been coming on here looking for schools I could potentially apply to for the 2020-2021 cycle. I'm so excited to be pursuing OT in the future as I am a first-generation college student. My parent's pretty much-forced pre med as a major onto me when I was a freshman which was VERY detrimental to my mental health and my GPA. it wasn't until my junior year (last year) is when I said enough was enough and changed my major behind their backs to exercise science to be pre OT. Once again I am SUPER excited to become a OT because it was all I ever dreamed about becoming and I'm so happy my parents finally accepted the fact that that was what I wanted to pursue instead of becoming a medical doctor. I'm just literally so excited lol anyways are there a list of OT schools that look at the last 60 credits?

First gen here too! My first year was okay, second year was ROUGH. No one told me that taking four science courses in one go was a bad idea (some pre-meds even encouraged me) until I was subject to dismissal and had to meet with a counselor lol It was then that I realized pre-meds are cut throat and I was pre-health (even tho I knew I wanted OT from the start). I’ll link the other thread that was about low GPA, people gave me some schools that look at last 60!

Low GPA

First gen here too! My first year was okay, second year was ROUGH. No one told me that taking four science courses in one go was a bad idea (some pre-meds even encouraged me) until I was subject to dismissal and had to meet with a counselor lol It was then that I realized pre-meds are cut throat and I was pre-health (even tho I knew I wanted OT from the start). I’ll link the other thread that was about low GPA, people gave me some schools that look at last 60!

Low GPA

thank you so much!!

Low GPA
May I ask what school you applied to and got accepted into?

Of course! Im not sure if I mentioned it before but I only applied to one, West Coast University.

Hi!! That is actually one of my top preferred program after hearing from the cohorts of their positive experience. Do you mind sharing your stats? My undergraduate GPA is only 3.04, so I am interested in hearing of your experience.

Hi!! That is actually one of my top preferred program after hearing from the cohorts of their positive experience. Do you mind sharing your stats? My undergraduate GPA is only 3.04, so I am interested in hearing of your experience.

Hi! Of course, I’ll post my stats below for you. Let me know if you have any questions :)

University: UCLA
Undergrad GPA: 3.01
OTCAS baccalaureate GPA: 2.97
OTCAS cumulative undergrad: 3.18
Last 60 undergrad GPA: ~3.48
Pre-req GPA: ~3.95

GRE: did not take

Observation: hospital 105 hours, NICU 3 hrs, hand therapy 6 hrs

Volunteer: 2x Election worker, Neighborhood legal services, ESL teachers asst.

Applied: West Coast University (03/10)
Interviewed: WCU (04/10)
Accepted: WCU (04/28)

• Care