Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OT Thread: How do you spend your off-time?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psych844, Aug 1, 2015.

1. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    So I've posted here awhile and feel i know the regulars, almost like a small family here, so hopefully people don't mind an off-topic thread. I was curious, when you guys are off and not utilizing Freud's principles, what do you do in your spare time?

#1 psych844, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BuckeyeLove

BuckeyeLove Forensic Psychologist
    Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Guitar in a few bands, movie junkie, read non psych stuff, good bourbon.

4. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Good stuff.

I enjoy travel, going to nice restos/eating good food, walking around my city/spending time outside, last few years using good binos for general use/birding (going to buy some really good binos soon).

psychrat and BuckeyeLove like this.
  5. chicandtoughness

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I dance and teach dance professionally. Mostly ballet and that sort of stuff. I also hate the fact that whenever I say, "I dance professionally" people automatically assume I moonlight as a stripper :(

When not rehearsing / teaching class, I'm brushing up on my photography and playing video games =P

6. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Video games are also an interest of mine, mostly strategy..and also watching marathons of 48 hours mystery/dateline nbc lol

7. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Singing, theatre, opera, reading, watching TV and movies, playing with my pets, swimming and boating when I have the opportunity, shopping, playing video games

8. chicandtoughness

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Same, I primarily play RTS (Starcraft) or empire-building (Civ) type games. Not so much for FPS games. Platformers are also an old passion of mine but no good ones have come out recently :(

I'm also a HUGE documentary junkie xD have watched most of the ones on Netflix... even the 1-star ones about sex workers.

Chalupacabra likes this.
  9. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor
    Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Video games (console, mostly), writing fiction, martial arts, hanging out/talking to friends, watching Youtube.

10. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Pssh, all of the cool kids are playing LoL these days. ;)

11. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist
    Moderator Psychologist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I've stopped myself from getting into it solely because I'm afraid it would destroy any semblance of a social life I actually have.

12. LAPsyGuy

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Spending time with my wife and kids. I teach mindfulness and meditation as a side gig. I like reading fiction and binge watching my favorite series after they show up on netflix. Street photography and taking pics of my kids.

13. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    Just need to limit yourself to x number of games a day. I've fallen way behind though. I pretty much only play ARAM these days. Don't play enough to maintain a good enough skillset for ranked play for some time now.

14. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist
    Moderator Psychologist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Yeah, I make myself stick to one game at a time. I've been an MMO person now and in the past, but have also been giving "Don't Starve" a belated try, and just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition (again, belatedly), which puts me about at critical mass game-wise.

I also enjoy reading classic fiction (think: all the stuff from those swell high school reading lists), but have been trying to get myself more into personal finance books as well, given how ignorant I am on the subject.

Outside of that, I try to spend time with friends and family, swing by a new restaurant or a favorite happy hour, get by the gym a few times per week, and sit by the pool on weekends.

15. Lurking Oracle

Psychologist Faculty 2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Advanced amateur photographer and hardcore foodist (I hate the word "foodie") in NYC.

16. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I am as well, and had a chance to visit Manhattan in 2010 but didn't get a chance to try as many places as I wanted. Spent some time in chinatown and had some Popeyes on upper east side. :) lol

17. Lurking Oracle

Psychologist
    Which Chinatown - Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan? (Best answer: Queens). No comment re: Popeye's... but the best fried chicken in NYC is a tie (IMHO) between Sylvia's and River East.

18. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Manhattan.
    And yeah, I know Popeyes is not the best chicken but just ended up going there..was sort of a joke as I said I was a foodie too.

19. Lurking Oracle

Psychologist
    Haha, I figured... but couldn't resist the comment! Get back to NYC soon. It is the greatest city on the planet, and I have been to almost all of the biggies (and mediums, and so many smallies). And, no, I am not even remotely a "Native New Yorker" (more accurately known as a "New Yorker by Occurrence of Birth"). I hail from elsewhere, but have chosen this great city as my town.

20. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Was just a funny experience for me because I took the subway somewhere from chinatown or might have been penn station and just randomly came out the subway station somewhere on the upper east side..had no idea where i was exactly..and as i came out the exit i saw a popeyes across the street lol. (pretty sure it was Harlem 125th street subway stop) Was sort of funny because im not sure if I saw one white person anywhere in the area and def not inside the popeyes..so was just funny to be the only white person there..i was eating alone as well..so its an experience that sticks out in my head.

I found the chicken quite nice though, because comparatively where I live I've never tried many chicken places aside from KFC...was way better than KFC here..but I of course know that most people experienced with good chicken would not think popeyes was good lol

#19 psych844, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  21. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Golf, squash, travel, foodie/food tours, photography, and attend various sporting events. I dabble w. vintage gaming (NES, N64, Genesis, etc) and also Destiny on PS4. It's maybe once a wk, but a fun way to wind down. Traveling is by far what I enjoy most, so I take a lot of long wkends and a few wk long trips a yr. Flexible scheduling and time off are big QOL factors for me.

#20 Therapist4Chnge, Aug 2, 2015
  22. chicandtoughness

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Augh. I played LoL for a bit but ultimately hated it. The game felt way too slow-paced for me (this may also be because I primarily played ADC, so...) I got into Heroes when beta first came out but put off learning it until now. The graphics/animations are more my style (I guess I've always been a Blizz girl) but the MOBA genre in general is not my top pick.

I'm big on retro games too :D SNES is still my favourite console to this day, but Genesis has my favourite retro game (Sonic 2). I played too many games as a kid so my mother banned video games from the house from like, 2000-2006 when I was in high school so I missed out on a lot of the early games in the big franchises (for example, still haven't played any Halo games...)

23. erg923

erg923 Regional Clinical Officer, Cenpatico National
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Dad, Golf....I'm out.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  24. Lurking Oracle

Psychologist
    As far as fast-food chains go, Popeye's is definitely superior to KFC, so I "forgive" you LOL! However... if you ever find yourself at the Harlem 125th St station again, you would only need to walk another block-and-a-half north to get to Sylvia's, which is a true sit-down (cloth napkin) restaurant and has outstanding fried chicken and other options.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  25. Rivi

7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]
    or

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

Goobernut likes this.
  26. Doctor Eliza

Psychologist
    I have a very active toddler. I spend my time trying to figure out how to tire him out.

Goobernut likes this.
  27. PhDToBe

7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Exercising, playing with pets, spending time with significant other, watching TV and movies....looking forward to having time to read for leisure and perhaps get into cooking :)

28. Ollie123

10+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Surprised how many gamers we have here, given I haven't met a lot in the field (or at least not who talk about it publicly?). Once upon a time was big on MMOs, but haven't had time to be seriously involved in them for many years now (not to mention the genre has moved far afield from my preferred style). Actually intending to integrate it into my research program now that I'm forging out more independently, so may get to build a bridge between my work and fun;) Do still enjoy any and all forms of gaming from time to time and my wife recently played Mario Kart on Wii for the first time and is now obsessed so I may be able to make a case for getting a console again. I did set up my PC to run all my old NES favorites though.

Absolutely love traveling - 2 international trips this past year, with hopefully many more in the future. Love food and beer (toying with the idea of home brewing once I have the space for it), but oddly enough I don't partake too much when I'm traveling. Think its because I'm generally more partial to countryside than cities. Dublin was "meh", but I'll move to rural Ireland in a heartbeat if ever given the opportunity.

Running faded out this past due to internship/dissertation, but I was an avid runner much of my life and hope to get that going again shortly. Used to teach tennis (pre-grad-school) and am hoping to find some regular games upon moving. Also used to play hockey but am approaching an age where I may be better off watching (....maybe a minimal contact league...). That's about it for the interesting stuff. I read excessively - always have and always will. Doubt that is particularly unusual for this crowd though.

29. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist
    10+ Year Member

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

or, you know.

Regular: Gym between 2-7 times/week, cardio intensive. New restaurants. Approximately 30 minutes/day of home remodeling. Investing. Reading.

Periodic: Opera/symphony, cooking classes, classes in other interests, cycling, traveling, etc.

30. erg923

erg923 Regional Clinical Officer, Cenpatico National
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I generally assume people who assert that they "go to the opera" are lying.

31. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist
    10+ Year Member

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the opera. I started going because a) I wanted to learn more about it and b) because I needed a really nice date to appease the GF. My mom still talks about my dad taking her to see Aida like 500 years ago, so.... fun date that the GF could brag about to her coworkers. Generally not more expensive than a really nice dinner (I think it is around $200 for two tickets). In my city, it is 4 shows a year. Not a huge time sink. Season tickets allow you to donate missed performances to charity, so even if you can't go you can write it off on taxes, making it something different to look forward to.

32. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I love the opera, too. I wish people would realize that the stories are super dramatic and often ridiculous/hilarious. They can actually be pretty low brow once you get past the gorgeous music and foreign language.

#31 cara susanna, Aug 2, 2015
  33. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I enjoy the opera too.

34. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    the night before, hop in the shower, really cold water from shower head on eye area/face and you won't wake up with puffy eyes/face.

35. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    He was making a joke, quoting Patrick Bateman.

36. chicandtoughness

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Haha. He's being facetious. It's a quote from American Psycho ;)

37. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    lmao..that is great..I never watched that movie.

38. Justanothergrad

Justanothergrad Counseling Psychologist
    Psychologist Faculty 5+ Year Member

Hiking/backpacking and anything outdoors. I actively do/have done pretty much all outdoor adventure sport though.

39. ClinicalABA

Psychologist
    Dad stuff, fly fishing/fly tying, videogames (mainly RPG and sports), and a lot of DIY home improvement stuff

40. calimich

calimich Assistant Professor

Psychologist
    my leisure time seems to fall into 2 categories -- physically active, non butt-sitting stuff. exercise, hiking/camping, playing w pets
    and mentally disengaging, not-listening-to-others stuff -- video games (love civ and am currently mildly obsessed with clash o clans), watching sports, going to movies, binge watching comedy (stand up, late night, etc)

thankfully my SO gives me space for both categories, and my favorite way to exercise, swimming, meets both needs. Hard to listen when my head is underwater!

41. bmedclinic

Psychologist
    Until last year, it was this. Then EPPP. Now I have a child. My hobbies now include changing diapers, burping, etc. Oh and making bottles. Man do I love doing that.

Occasionally I get to play vidjagames. Ps3. NCAA football / Skyrim stuff. I still get to read for fun, but that's kinda a must for me to stay sane.

42. EmotRegulation

Psychologist Faculty 5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Walking, reading the Kindle when I remember to borrow something from the library, random craft projects, looking around my house at the need to clean it but not actually doing it, playing board games (trivial pursuit), lots of TV and movies (streaming, DVD....the days of going to the theatre are over for now) with the husband. All that said, most of my free time these days involves trying to occupy my almost 1-year-old who has an insatiable desire to grab at anything he's not supposed to touch (cords especially).

I have a fairly long list of things I'd like to do with my time post-tenure (and post toddler-dom). Here's hoping I get to do them!

43. smalltownpsych

Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Spending time with spouse, hiking, Kayaking, skiing and more skiing (I can't wait for winter!). Travelling, video games, gardening. Reading sci-fi and fantasy novels. A little mindless TV at times.

44. Goobernut

Goobernut LCSW
    5+ Year Member

Another video gamer here :) we own one of each of the next gen consoles and there are more computers than people in my house. I love many of those mentioned, and we also kept all of our original consoles and will sometimes bring them out to play the classics. The next game on my list is Witcher III. I did get to finish DA: inquisition during a lull last fall semester ha.

My kiddo keeps me busy, but he's getting to the autopilot age where I don't have to run around constantly after him in my free time, and I can now answer the "what do you do in your free time" questions with non-kid related answers.

I also love hard core science fiction novels --Peter F. Hamilton, Robert L. forward, David Brin, Greg Bear, as well as fantasy. I honestly haven't read much for fun lately. Oh oh, except for the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. It's urban fantasy in the vein of the Dresden files, but imho better.

45. PhDToBe

7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    God, I know. Tell me about it...

46. Pragma

Pragma Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Dad, running, brewery tours, outdoor music, and tons of cooking. SDN when bored.

bmedclinic likes this.
  47. psych844

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I think I would enjoy hanging out with many of you! Def surprising how many people are into gaming. I love games like Civ, Europa Universalis, GTA (when the police mod gets done, fun to work as a team and catch the bad guys lol), and also love management type games..soccer, or restaurant, hotel, etc. I just love playing games that are mostly text but tons of data.