OT VS PT, please help. running out of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyatub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was initially a business major for 1.5 years but realized that it wasn't for me. I changed to be an exercise science major in hopes of pursuing physical therapy. After shadowing a PT at an ortho outpatient clinic, I thought I might not have enough power to do manual work for 45 mins non stop from 9 am - 5 pm . I am thinking about OT, but I am not interested in the toileting, bathing, etc . Can anyone provide any advice? I am so torn.

Accepted into SUNY Buffalo's Master of Occupational Therapy Program ; $6500 a year for 2 years.
Accepted into Daemen College Doctor of Physical Therapy ; $35000 a year for 3 years.

Quite a big difference .. Is it worth it ?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this is a decision you have to make by yourself, no one here knows you better than yourself. You have to factor in job satisfaction, overall student debt (huge difference from 35k a year and 6.5k), are you even fully sure you want to be a therapist (whether OT or PT) in the first place? maybe your passion is for something else. It would be a waste to accumulate all that student debt and to change careers again. Have you thought about being more research oriented PT?

Go PT if you like gait training, running performance, sports, etc.

Go OT if you like ADLs, cooking, etc. Your handle also has "tub" in it...a sign???

Research CHT and choose either one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You do understand that there are other aspects of PT out there that do not involve 45 min manual work per patient right? I mean, I also haven't heard of someone doing manual that long in one session, that makes me curious on what kind of patients the PT you shadowed had.

It's biased for me to say to go towards PT, but it all depends on your preference, financial status, and all of the little things that factor into your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the statement above. There are so many different aspects to PT other than manual therapy. If you have time to do further shadowing, I would suggest that, but considering you have 2 acceptances I'm assuming you need to make a decision within the next few weeks