OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally tracked down wheat gluten at a store. Am in the process of making some seitan which will turn into something different..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The purpose was for
IMG_20190407_2134437.jpg

Vegetarian Moroccan meatballs (I used a real egg to make these)

Seitan recipe

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I made something last night that was supposed to be a stew, but I skipped a bunch of steps so it turned out watery (I knew it was going to, but I was being lazy). It's still delicious though!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Coffee, the couscous...is it various colors? or are those other ingredients in there? i keep saying I want to try, but just have not taken the plunge yet. but that does look pretty good...

Coffee, the couscous...is it various colors? or are those other ingredients in there? i keep saying I want to try, but just have not taken the plunge yet. but that does look pretty good...
Yes I bought tricolor couscous pearls. I am not sure what they add to give it color but it is from a natural brand, Bob's mills. Also there are green onions
It is very quite tasty. I like the bigger couscous pearls vs the smaller pieces of couscous.

I have not made it myself in my adult life before. I like how easy it is compared to rice or even pasta! I boiled water, then added the couscous and covered for 5 minutes and it was done.

Yes I bought tricolor couscous pearls. I am not sure what they add to give it color but it is from a natural brand, Bob's mills. Also there are green onions
It is very quite tasty. I like the bigger couscous pearls vs the smaller pieces of couscous.
Probs spinach and tomato or annatto. I feel like they are decently commonly used to color things?

I cooked tonight! Wait...does microwaving dinosaur chicken nuggets count as cooking? What if I made them 'fancy' by adding creole seasonings? I also ate broccoli.

Reactions: 7 users
I have never seen colourful couscous and I love it and want it.

Also I sent my partner out for stuff for seitan on Sunday and he returned with like five different premade meat substitutes AND wheat gluten. So I may need that meatball recipe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a stew that I don't really like (new recipe), but now I have a lot of stew.

Give it to neighbors or enemies
this is why I have a tiny crockpot nowadays instead of a big one. I would make excess amounts of soup/stew/tamales/whatever in my old one and hate myself later. The small crockpot either leads to reasonable portion sizes or me leaving it on too long and burning the whole freaking batch. Either way, less sad frozen things to throw away later once they can't be recognized.

I have not made it myself in my adult life before. I like how easy it is compared to rice or even pasta! I boiled water, then added the couscous and covered for 5 minutes and it was done.

Thank you. I think I will get some this weekend and try out this recipe--it just looks, and sounds, yummy!

I did not know that it cooked that fast. That is a great thing.

My grocery budget is too tight not to eat it... I've run out of money for the year. But I'll know not to make that one again.
So good news on the stew front lol. I'm headed home to long-distance hubby and son this afternoon. Hubby says if I bring the stew he'll trade me for food I like better. :) And really, I'm not even a particularly picky eater!

Reactions: 3 users
Oregon has the best food products tho! Bob is legit awesome lol

I recently found Tillamook cheese at my local grocery store in small town VA and I was sooooo happy because it was very unexpected.

• Love
I made the weirdest burritos tonight. I had leftover smoked BBQ chicken breast takeout, so I used that with red+yellow+green peppers, onions, lime juice, turmeric, cumin, garlic, salt, and ginger as the filling. And then I made BBQ sauce for dipping. 10/10 would make again.

I made really good baked beans.
They are actually not technically finished because I haven't added the chard or walnuts yet which is ok according to the recipe notes (I was cooking last night and ran out of time)

Baked Beans

Making the best lazy meal ever.

Marinated tempeh (soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, pan fry til crispy) and sushi rice.

I’m making a double batch bc I always just eat the tempeh while the rice finishes and then my tempeh to rice leftover ratio is screwed up.

Not sure if marinating a double batch at the same time was my brightest idea bc all my tempeh strips are breaking but oh well.

Here’s my marinating tempeh. Will follow up w pics of the finished product lol
IMG_2712.jpg

Making the best lazy meal ever.

Marinated tempeh (soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, pan fry til crispy) and sushi rice.

I’m making a double batch bc I always just eat the tempeh while the rice finishes and then my tempeh to rice leftover ratio is screwed up.

Not sure if marinating a double batch at the same time was my brightest idea bc all my tempeh strips are breaking but oh well.

Here’s my marinating tempeh. Will follow up w pics of the finished product lol
View attachment 258596

IMG_2714.jpg

Finished product plus some marinated tofu from the Korean store

I went grocery shopping because I was bored and bought miso paste. So I made some miso soup with vegetable broth and the white miso paste and it's alright (I couldn't find dashi but, to be fair, I didn't look very hard). Gotta figure out the paste to broth ratio for sure.

I went grocery shopping because I was bored and bought miso paste. So I made some miso soup with vegetable broth and the white miso paste and it's alright (I couldn't find dashi but, to be fair, I didn't look very hard). Gotta figure out the paste to broth ratio for sure.
I crave miso soup when I have a cold

I crave miso soup when I have a cold
Miso is so good. The poke place in Foco that I love gives free miso whenever you get a poke bowl and it's literally the best. It's just very comforting and simple yet full of flavor.

Miso maple carrots or squash = mmmmmmmm.

I recently found Tillamook cheese at my local grocery store in small town VA and I was sooooo happy because it was very unexpected.
What? You don't have Tillamook cheese everywhere?! That's like, the main cheese around these parts.
Yeah when I was in the midwest for undergrad they would have tiny pieces of tillamook that were ridiculously expensive.

I'm happy to be closer because their cheese is the best. I almost always have a medium cheddar loaf on hand.

Going to the factory is fun also. But since they remodeled it there's always a ton of people which is pretty annoying.

cubs..uh, supanola....do you have a recipe, or is it just "a dash of this, a splash of that"? cause that looks really really good!

cubs..uh, supanola....do you have a recipe, or is it just "a dash of this, a splash of that"? cause that looks really really good!

If Im just cooking for myself or parents ill just start with the base of Tony Chachere's dirty rice or jambalaya mix, then I'll add my own changes (like I add fresh jalapenos to almost everything lol). If I'm doing a larger crowd on a weekend I have more time and might start things from scratch.

Crawfish boil sunday for Easter, just wait til those pics come in!

will you share your formal recipe? I have always used zatarins as the base, but would like to have a "scratch" version. for the jambayla