General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Almost done with application though I see some here have already been accepted so congrats!! Anyways, polishing personal statements but I am having doubts... how long is too long?? I am close to 12k words... toooo much? Please advise! I am at that point in my personal statement where everything looks and feels WRONG.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Almost done with application though I see some here have already been accepted so congrats!! Anyways, polishing personal statements but I am having doubts... how long is too long?? I am close to 12k words... toooo much? Please advise! I am at that point in my personal statement where everything looks and feels WRONG.
Feel free to send me your personal statement. I've been accepted to one school already and waiting to hear back from two more. The best I can do is point you in the right direction. My personal statement was 2 pages double spaced.

Reactions: 1 user

Mine was just under 1200 words! My best advice would be to refer back to the given prompt often and make sure you're addressing everything in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have an interview at Salus on Thursday, what was the interview process like, any tips you can give? did you take any materials with you to the interview??
First, you take a tour of the school. Then, you do two separate interviews. Everyone I met was super friendly and definitely put my nerves at ease. Just prepare for the basic questions, "Why OT?" "What is the difference between OT and PT?". I took a portfolio with me. My best tip is to be honest and confident and speak from the heart! Good luck!

I also got accepted to ISU! Is anyone planning on accepting?

Mine was two pages single spaced.

Yes, lol what a joke

Right?! Like what does that even mean LOL its not even like its the waitlist basically its just them reviewing later.. I was mad because now I have to wait another two months just to review it with everyone who applied later but whatever I guess. I am sure SO many people got that email so I can't imagine they would accept very many of us if they didn't now

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into Loma Linda!!! Who else? and who is accepting the offer? I'm still thinking. I wish they gave us more time to decide...

Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted into Loma Linda!!! Who else? and who is accepting the offer? I'm still thinking. I wish they gave us more time to decide...
Congrats!!! I was accepted last month and I decided to put down the deposit since it is one of my top schools, but I am still waiting to hear from other programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Most programs will ask for 3k-5k words max. If they don't give a number of words you should try to keep it below 5k for sure. Try to be as specific as possible with as little as possible. Too much does not necessarily translate to better.

And my personal statement was exactly 2 pages, 12 times new roman font, double space.

I was accepted in mind Nov. It was my #1 choice so I said yes even though I applied to 7 programs total. I haven't heard from the others yet.

Just SKIMMED a whole bunch. I am down to 2 pages, 1.15 spaced

Most programs will ask for 3k-5k words max. If they don't give a number of words you should try to keep it below 5k for sure. Try to be as specific as possible with as little as possible. Too much does not necessarily translate to better.

I am currently a first year student in the Sacred Heart University Occupational therapy program! I just want to say that I completely understand what you are going through and if you have any questions about the program in general or the interview let me know! I was emailed in December saying I was invited to interview, and my actual interview was mid January, and they emailed the next day saying I was accepted. Good luck in this process and feel free to message if you have any questions!! Here are my stats:
Undergrad: Lasell College
Major/Minor: Health science/ Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.62(I don't remember my prereq gpa, sorry!)
GRE: 153V, 157Q 4.0AW
Hours: 65(inpatient) 150(outpatient)
LOR: 1 OT, 2 professors, and 1 from my boss
Misc: Made deans list 6 times, I was asked by the dean of school of health sciences to speak at the board of trustees meeting, my junior year I was treasurer of health sciences club, and senior year I was named president. 125 hours of community service tutoring underprivileged students in math

Hi there! I saw your posts on this forum and I just wanted to reach out to ask a few questions about the interview process for Sacred Heart because I will be interviewing there on Tuesday morning.

I had seen somewhere that their process involves a group problem-based learning activity and then individual interviews with various professors, is this how it was for you? Also, what did you wear to the interview? I was originally planning to wear a suit that has a jacket and skirt, but now that I have heard it is a group interview, I’m worried that I’ll feel out of place if others are not wearing skirts.

Thank you so much! You'll do great! If you have any other questions feel free to let me know. Wishing you the best of luck!
Just got the email!!! I have been accepted in Mary Baldwin!!!!

Is anyone interviewing at Midwestern University for their Masters program on Wednesday?

Hi there! I saw your posts on this forum and I just wanted to reach out to ask a few questions about the interview process for Sacred Heart because I will be interviewing there on Tuesday morning.

I had seen somewhere that their process involves a group problem-based learning activity and then individual interviews with various professors, is this how it was for you? Also, what did you wear to the interview? I was originally planning to wear a suit that has a jacket and skirt, but now that I have heard it is a group interview, I’m worried that I’ll feel out of place if others are not wearing skirts.
Hi there! First, congrats on getting an interview! And yes I had the group part of the interview as well. How it went for me was first the professors talked to all the students about the program and what Sacred Heart has to offer, and you can also ask your questions then. Next we were split into groups of 5-6(not sure of exact number lol), and we were given a problem. And we talked as a group of how to solve the problem. During this process 2 professors were watching our group and taking notes. For that part, I suggest writing down all the ideas everyone has, just to show you are listening. And then when you are building off someone else's idea, say their name. To show that you are respecting that you remember who said which point. Make sure you don't talk too much or too little, try to let everyone take a turn, you don't want to come off like you are trying to over power everyone else.
Next was the one on one interviews. They say it is like speed dating. There is 6 professors, each at their own table. Each professor asks you one question and you have 2 minutes to answer. Then after the 2 minutes is up you switch to the next professor. All of the professors are very laid back and nice. Just be completely yourself and don't stress too much about it!
For what to wear, I wore pants with a business shirt and jacket, then flats for shoes. Some girls did wear skirts though. So it is whatever you feel comfortable wearing. You will be fine wearing a skirt.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Does anyone know the process of admissions? I’m assuming it varies from school to school. Do they typically send out acceptances in waves? How long do they give an applicant to decide?

I just got accepted to Stanbridge University!! Anyone else heard anything?

Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted to Stanbridge University!! Anyone else heard anything?

Congrats! I got a call last week to verify some courses and now my app is with the department for review. Would you be so kind to share the interview process and a rundown of that day? Will they call you or email you to let you know? Also is this your first choice?

For supplemental essays that asked to write about an issue and how an OT can impact in (Kean Uni NJ), raise your hands if y’all wrote about elder abuse

I just got accepted to Stanbridge for Fall 2020 but the costs are making me reconsider all the private OT schools I applied to in California. Anyone else in the same boat? I’m considering taking another gap year and applying to CSUDH next year if I don’t get accepted into SJSU’s program.

Hi everyone - just informed that I have been waitlisted at Indiana State because the cohort is full. I emailed back asking what spot I am on the waitlist. I have been accepted from Clarkson University in NY but I was really hoping for Indiana State.

To me, the patient interaction portion seemed more like patient education/demonstration/treatment. I have never done patient treatment before so I felt really unprepared for that part of the interview.

I just got accepted to Stanbridge for Fall 2020 but the costs are making me reconsider all the private OT schools I applied to in California. Anyone else in the same boat? I’m considering taking another gap year and applying to CSUDH next year if I don’t get accepted into SJSU’s program.

Same here for the cost at Samuel Merritt University

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hello everyone! I have been accepted to Loma Linda University. Also, been invited for an interview at ATSU and have recently submitted my final transcripts to Texas Tech for review.

I just got into BU, has anyone else heard anything? A bit concerned about the cost

Hi all,

This is my second time applying. Below are my stats!

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health Sciences
Minor: Accounting
Overall GPA: 3.38 (according to OTCAS this is including Post Bac)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71-3.80 Depending on School
GRE: V: 155 Q: 149 W: 4 (Not my strong suit)

Volunteer Hours
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Applying to: UW, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), SJSU, University of New England, Stanbridge
Interview: St Augustine (11/12), UNE (12/6-Declined)
Acceptance: St. Augustine (11/18)

Hi all,

Volunteer Hours
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Applying to: UW, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), SJSU, University of New England, Stanbridge
Interview: St Augustine (11/12), UNE (12/6-Declined)

Congrats on your acceptance to St. Aug! I’m sure it was disappointing last year, but you persevered. I applied to San Marcos as well but I haven’t heard back since the interview. Ah well, I was accepted to my #1 choice on Thursday and I’m ecstatic! Again, congrats!

Congrats on your acceptance to St. Aug! I’m sure it was disappointing last year, but you persevered. I applied to San Marcos as well but I haven’t heard back since the interview. Ah well, I was accepted to my #1 choice on Thursday and I’m ecstatic! Again, congrats!

Thank you so much! It was disappointing, but it also motivated me to work harder this year and bring up my Pre-req GPA and get more volunteer experience. Congrats on getting accepted to your #1! :)

Hi everyone! I was accepted to Puget Sound and few other programs last year and deferred, so I will be attending Puget Sound in the Fall. I am starting to think about housing, and I’m wondering if anyone knew of any resources for finding housing, or others looking for a roommate. Let me know!

Also willing to answer questions about my application experience if anyone has questions!

Hello, all. I am late to the forum train, however, I decided to make myself an account because I found sharing our stats to be useful.

University: Western Michigan University
Major: Interdisciplinary Health Services
Minor: Gerontology
GPA: 3.62 -- if things go well this semester could be a 3.66
Prereq GPA (depends on what each school requires): 3.73-3.8
GRE: 146, 147 (yes, I understand this is low, I struggle a lot with standardized testing), 4.0 AW
Letters: OT, gerontology professor, adult day supervisor, previous recreational therapist coworker
Shadowing: 60+ hours in AFC, PACE setting, pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient rehab
Extracurriculars: corresponding secretary in Sigma Alpha Iota (international women's music fraternity, spreading music throughout our community through service and sisterhood).
Work experience: 1000+ hours as a care assistant in memory care AFC, 200+ hours as direct support professional in older adult day program

Applying to: St Catherine University, College of St Scholastica, Carroll University, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State University (perhaps University of Toledo, gone back and forth on it). I am also applying to Western Michigan University's doctorate program -- not on OTCAS, only available through online application. The doctorate program won't be accredited until this December.

Top dream program: Carroll University -- don't know how to explain it, felt a great vibe when I researched the website and when I went to their open house in July. I got to meet the director of the program which really stood out to me.

Also -- I have taken the GRE twice. 290 first time, 293 second time. Should I go for a third? It's hard because with my last semester in college (I graduate in December!!!) when balancing applications, work, school, and my required internship. At times I feel overwhelmed, but still so very excited.

Please let me know if my info is at all decent! I want to give this application period my best shot.
Sending so many good vibes to you! I also went to Carroll's open house in July and fell in love with their program, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear back as well. I think having a minor in gerontology is super neat and may carry some weight along with your work experience with older adults. I'm rooting for you!

Has anyone applied to Maryville University MSOT Program? It just came across my radar, but the information on their website is limited. Their application is due January 1st and I want to see if it's worth submitting.

I work with somebody that got accepted to Carroll last week!
That's so exciting! :) I read on another post someone was accepted to Carroll last week as well, but I didn't think they sent out letters until mid-January. Just hoping for the best at this point!

Hey guys! How long do you typically spend on each supplemental essay for your applications?

Hey guys! How long do you typically spend on each supplemental essay for your applications?
Really depends on the prompt! Some essays I completed in a day or two and others took 1-2 weeks until I was happy with them

Hi everyone! I received an email for an interview at Elmhurst College in Illinois! Did anyone else receive an interview time yet?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone applied to Quinnipiac University's new OTD program and was interested in this school? I recently got accepted to it.

Did anyone get accepted to Carroll university? I just got an email saying I was!

UPDATED

Hi all,

Volunteer Hours
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Interview: St Augustine (11/12), UNE (12/6-Declined), Stanbridge (2/7)