General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sending so many good vibes to you! I also went to Carroll's open house in July and fell in love with their program, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear back as well. I think having a minor in gerontology is super neat and may carry some weight along with your work experience with older adults. I'm rooting for you!

Have you heard back from Carroll yet??

Members don't see this ad :)
How exciting!! Congrats to you as well! Do you plan on going to the open house on the 25th?
I haven’t decided yet! I’m 6 hours away but I know it would be nice to visit again before May and meet classmates and possible roommates. Were you planning on going?

I haven’t decided yet! I’m 6 hours away but I know it would be nice to visit again before May and meet classmates and possible roommates. Were you planning on going?
I’m going to try to go! I want to meet other people that are going to be in the program!

Reactions: 1 users
I just heard back from Carroll, but unfortunately I am on the waitlist. I am curious if anyone knows the chances of getting accepted from the waitlist?

I know it's an outstanding program and I am so happy for you all who are accepted!! However, that makes me guess the waitlist doesn't make it likely to be accepted! I would appreciate any feedback :)

Got accepted into USC's OT program last week! If anyone has insight into the program please message me! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask what your stats are?? Just curious if I have a chance of getting off the waitlist and being accepted!

For sure! Here are my stats:

Major: Human Development

Minor: Psychology

GPA: 3.85

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

GRE: verbal 150, quantitative 153

Extracurricular: Phi Eta Sigma (honors society)

Work experience: childcare 4 years, nanny 6 months, children’s tennis coach

Volunteer experience: 25 hours front desk hospital volunteer, 35 hours camp for individuals with disabilities, 15 hours ESL tutor, 100 hours special olympics

Observation experience: 200 hours VA hospital, 100 hours nursing facility, 20 hours Peds clinic, 40 hours PT and OT rehabilitation clinic

Wishing you the best as you wait to hear back from schools! Let me know if you need anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else get accepted to SUNY Downstate? :)
Congrats! I did too! Have you accepted? It is my first/only acceptance so I think I'll put down the deposit because I won't be hearing back from other schools for another few months :unsure:

I'm going to go! It's 18 hours for me, but I booked the flight because I'm also hoping to meet classmates and potential roommates so I figured it was worth it. Plus, I feel like the more I visit the area, the more confident I will be moving that far away from home. I hope you get the chance to go!

I just heard back from Carroll, but unfortunately I am on the waitlist. I am curious if anyone knows the chances of getting accepted from the waitlist?

I know it's an outstanding program and I am so happy for you all who are accepted!! However, that makes me guess the waitlist doesn't make it likely to be accepted! I would appreciate any feedback :)
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm not quite sure how the waitlist works, but I know I had to send my decision by Jan 17 so I'm assuming the next round of acceptances will go out around then? I may be wrong, but that's what I'm assuming. I'm rooting for you! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm not quite sure how the waitlist works, but I know I had to send my decision by Jan 17 so I'm assuming the next round of acceptances will go out around then? I may be wrong, but that's what I'm assuming. I'm rooting for you! :)
I feel like they will send more acceptances shortly after that day. I think I had to make a decision by the 17th as well. Good luck!!

I'm going to go! It's 18 hours for me, but I booked the flight because I'm also hoping to meet classmates and potential roommates so I figured it was worth it. Plus, I feel like the more I visit the area, the more confident I will be moving that far away from home. I hope you get the chance to go!
Oh wow that’s a haul! Weather permitting, I’m hoping to make it and can’t wait to connect with you all!

Congrats!!! Did you find out via email, mail or through youSC?

I’m not the original poster, but I found out via email on December 19th. The acceptance letter said we should also hear from Graduate Admissions at some point thru youSC...but that would probably happen after the holiday break (which ends today).

I found out through email! :)

Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be attending? It was my #1 choice so I will definitely be there. I also haven’t heard back from any other programs that I interviewed with, so there’s that!

Hey everyone,

This forum has been a helpful resource for me for the past few years, so I wanted to finally contribute.

First time applying. Here are my stats:

University: Cal State
Major: Literature
Minor: Creative Writing
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take

Shadow Hours: 51 hippotherapy, 8 inpatient, 28 hand
Volunteer Hours: 46 hospice, 30 local books for kids non profit, 15 Miracle League (sports for adults and children with disabilities)
LOR: 2 OTs I shadowed with, 1 current employer (completely different field, been there for four years), 1 stats professor

Applied to: West Coast, Midwestern AZ, ATSU, Abilene Christian TX, Touro NV, UNLV
Interview: West Coast (Nov), Midwestern (Nov), Touro (Nov), UNLV (January)
Admitted: West Coast (was wait-listed, but pulled off it only a couple of days letter), Touro NV
Still waiting response: Midwestern (said we'd here back in Feb.)

I declined West Coast and put down my deposit for Touro. UNLV still interests me, but they'd have to offer something quite compelling to sway me from Touro. Abilene was my wildcard. ATSU, I think, has rejected me. Midwestern had a great program and a beautiful campus. But given the price tag, I don't think I could swing it if I were to get an acceptance.

Although I think these forums have helped me, they also worried me! So many people have great stats and have racked up an incredible amount of shadowing hours. While I worked through the process, I often felt I could not compete. Even when I began interviewing, I felt woefully average compared to all the bright, fresh, and articulate undergraduates (I graduated nearly 15 years ago).

I think it helped that I mostly applied to private schools (due to practicality rather than personal preference), avoided the GRE (it would have only opened up a couple more CA schools, so not really worth the hassle), and in my personal statement/interviews, I really made connections between my life experience and the world of OT.

So, I post this in hopes to provide other nontraditional students/career changers with some positive energy during the stressful OT process. Try not to compare yourself or stats to others, and play to your strengths.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

This forum has been a helpful resource for me for the past few years, so I wanted to finally contribute.

Volunteer Hours: 46 hospice, 30 local books for kids non profit, 15 Miracle League (sports for adults and children with disabilities)
LOR: 2 OTs I shadowed with, 1 current employer (completely different field, been there for four years), 1 stats professor

Applied to: West Coast, Midwestern AZ, ATSU, Abilene Christian TX, Touro NV, UNLV
Admitted: West Coast (was wait-listed, but pulled off it only a couple of days letter), Touro NV

I declined West Coast and put down my deposit for Touro. UNLV still interests me, but they'd have to offer something quite compelling to sway me from Touro. Abilene was my wildcard. ATSU, I think, has rejected me. Midwestern had a great program and a beautiful campus. But given the price tag, I don't think I could swing it if I were to get an acceptance.

Although I think these forums have helped me, they also worried me! So many people have great stats and have racked up an incredible amount of shadowing hours. While I worked through the process, I often felt I could not compete. Even when I began interviewing, I felt woefully average compared to all the bright, fresh, and articulate undergraduates (I graduated nearly 15 years ago).

I think it helped that I mostly applied to private schools (due to practicality rather than personal preference), avoided the GRE (it would have only opened up a couple more CA schools, so not really worth the hassle), and in my personal statement/interviews, I really made connections between my life experience and the world of OT.

So, I post this in hopes to provide other nontraditional students/career changers with some positive energy during the stressful OT process. Try not to compare yourself or stats to others, and play to your strengths.
Do you interview for UNLV on the 8th or 9th?

Hey everyone,

Non-traditional student here too (just completed a 20 year career in the Army). I feel the exact same way. I have been following this forum for a couple years and looking at stats made me a little worried and insecure, but also made me work hard while finishing pre-reqs...and perhaps made me try a little too hard to get more observation hours than I really needed! The occasional success story post by another non-traditional student made me hopeful! Congrats on Touro! I got into my top choice in SoCal...haven't heard back from any of the others yet (I interviewed with two more schools and canceled my interview with West Coast after acceptance to my #1 choice). I'm thankful that some programs value diversity and life/professional experience. My overall GPA wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I would call competitive (3.47). Anyway, congrats again!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Wondering where you are with TWU? Did you have an interview there? I interviewed back in November and wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything! Best of luck to you!

Non-traditional student here too (just completed a 20 year career in the Army). I feel the exact same way. I have been following this forum for a couple years and looking at stats made me a little worried and insecure, but also made me work hard while finishing pre-reqs...and perhaps made me try a little too hard to get more observation hours than I really needed! The occasional success story post by another non-traditional student made me hopeful! Congrats on Touro! I got into my top choice in SoCal...haven't heard back from any of the others yet (I interviewed with two more schools and canceled my interview with West Coast after acceptance to my #1 choice). I'm thankful that some programs value diversity and life/professional experience. My overall GPA wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I would call competitive (3.47). Anyway, congrats again!

Congratulations to you as well! There are so many great schools in CA. Hopefully UNLV gets there program running, because pickings are so slim in the rest of the Southwest.

Congratulations to you as well! There are so many great schools in CA. Hopefully UNLV gets there program running, because pickings are so slim in the rest of the Southwest.
I was gonna apply there but I didn’t want to ask my letter writers to submit their LORs again! That was really my only reason! Such an affordable option compared to the schools I applied to!

Edited to add: I have the GI Bill and ANY public school is fully covered regardless of residency status. But there’s an annual cap for private schools.

congrats on your acceptance!! was there an interview portion for USC?
I was also accepted in December. Based on my experience and feedback from others on this forum that were accepted in December, it doesn’t seem like they did interviews for at least this first round of acceptances.

I was also accepted in December. Based on my experience and feedback from others on this forum that were accepted in December, it doesn’t seem like they did interviews for at least this first round of acceptances.
thanks so much! and congrats! :)

Congrats on getting accepted! Are you planning on attending?

Congrats on getting accepted! Are you planning on attending?
Definitely! They were my #1 choice. I’m patiently waiting for “final approval by the University’s Graduate Admissions Department” that was mentioned in the Chan Division’s acceptance letter.

Definitely! They were my #1 choice. I’m patiently waiting for “final approval by the University’s Graduate Admissions Department” that was mentioned in the Chan Division’s acceptance letter.
Yeah I'll likely be attending! It was one of my top schools. Still waiting on San Jose State but I'll likely be going to USC :)

Yeah I'll likely be attending! It was one of my top schools. Still waiting on San Jose State but I'll likely be going to USC :)
Ironically, after writing this, I received my acceptance letter from USC Graduate Admissions overnight! So it’s official now!

Has anyone reached out to a school after an interview for an update on when they will send out acceptances? I don’t want to bother the school but am anxiously awaiting a decision and have other deadlines approaching

Has anyone reached out to a school after an interview for an update on when they will send out acceptances? I don’t want to bother the school but am anxiously awaiting a decision and have other deadlines approaching
I sent an email to USC asking about the general timeline. They responded near immediately with a general timeline...then I ended up getting an acceptance email earlier than they had indicated decisions would be made. One of the schools I visited told me that if I had a number one choice to clearly communicate that via email. I didn’t do this outright, but I made it clear to USC that I was hoping to attend their program. I’m not sure if it made a difference or not, but I don’t think it can hurt to reach out. I also just remembered that I’ve repeatedly followed up with another school, but they seem terrible at responding to emails and voicemails...I’ve heard nothing from them despite them telling me during the interview that I’d hear back either way in 2 weeks. Ah well!

I sent an email to USC asking about the general timeline. They responded near immediately with a general timeline...then I ended up getting an acceptance email earlier than they had indicated decisions would be made. One of the schools I visited told me that if I had a number one choice to clearly communicate that via email. I didn’t do this outright, but I made it clear to USC that I was hoping to attend their program. I’m not sure if it made a difference or not, but I don’t think it can hurt to reach out. I also just remembered that I’ve repeatedly followed up with another school, but they seem terrible at responding to emails and voicemails...I’ve heard nothing from them despite them telling me during the interview that I’d hear back either way in 2 weeks. Ah well!
Do you mind sharing how you formatted that email you sent to USC? I am thinking about reaching out to my number 1 school about their timeline!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received my acceptance to Temple !

Anyone interviewing for Elmhurst on the 17th?
Also, I know Elmhurst started their interviews awhile ago- have they already begun accepting people?

Anyone interviewing for Elmhurst on the 17th?
Also, I know Elmhurst started their interviews awhile ago- have they already begun accepting people?

I’m interviewing on the 17 at 10:45!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Has anyone heard anything from UIC?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN