General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderlustOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how OTCAS GPA calculations work. From what I understand, we can't know our OTCAS gpa until *after* we've submitted our applications to the schools?? Is that correct? I want to know my GPA *before* I apply because I fear that it will drop below the minimum since my overall right now is just barely past it. I'm currently finishing my bachelors but I had transferred from a community college with some courses that I had W's/D's/F's and had to retake (grades from my previous major was not good at all in general). If my OTCAS gpa is lower then I don't want to try applying this year. Anyone have more info on this?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how OTCAS GPA calculations work. From what I understand, we can't know our OTCAS gpa until *after* we've submitted our applications to the schools?? Is that correct? I want to know my GPA *before* I apply because I fear that it will drop below the minimum since my overall right now is just barely past it. I'm currently finishing my bachelors but I had transferred from a community college with some courses that I had W's/D's/F's and had to retake (grades from my previous major was not good at all in general). If my OTCAS gpa is lower then I don't want to try applying this year. Anyone have more info on this?

Thank you
Yes, that's correct. OTCAS doesn't calculate your GPAs until after you submit you first application. My understanding is that ALL of your undergraduate grades will appear on your OTCAS GPAs even if you are to retake the course (meaning both your low grade and high grade will be calculated). They calculate several GPAs: GPAs by Subject (social sciences, maths, humanities, natural sciences, other). Then GPAs by each year, which they calculate into your cumulative. If your nervous about your grades in the past, I would contact the program your applying to and let them know about those grades. Tell them that you retook them and your OTCAS GPA looks low because the grade you received the first time. Most of these programs are looking at improvement. But definitely reach out to the admissions office, let them know your situation and see if you would be considered. ALSO...you can calculate your own GPA on any GPA calculating website.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to calculate your own GPA; I don't believe OTCAS uses any special formula to calculate their own cumulative GPA.