SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

other activites on resume?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by fizzbot, Apr 19, 2007.

1. fizzbot

fizzbot Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Hi,
    I was just wondering how much of a difference something like "SGA rep" or "class vp" would make on a CV while applying to ophtho residencies, it seems like board scores, GPA, and research totally dominate on a CV. I ask because I am debating possibly running for office in my class. I don't know if it will be worth the time suck or if I should simply devote that time to academics. Sorry to bother, thanks for any help you can give me.
    Sincerely,
    Fizz

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. fizzbot

fizzbot Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Furthermore, would residency directors even look differently upon a VP vs Senator position?

4. V05

V05 2+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas
    You should participate in activities that interest you and will be the most meaningful to you.

Not everyone turns out to be academicians or researchers. For example, we definitely need more people to be political activists to ensure legislators look out for the interest of all ophthalmologists. You could also turn out to be a key leader in the American Academy of Ophthalmology. If you have always involved yourself with class activities and adminstration and it is something you want to continue to do, then you should. I think your ophthalmology residency interviewers will be most impressed with you if you are able to discuss your activities in a passionate and meaningful way.