Apr 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How much do medical schools take into account classes that aren't a natural science? Classes like history or english. I'm sure every school looks at it differently. But generally, how do schools look at those classes? Thanks.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
umm.. What do you mean? They are still considered important. How you do in them still matters. Your cGPA is slightly more important than your BCMP (by AAMC survey results).

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
umm.. What do you mean? They are still considered important. How you do in them still matters. Your cGPA is slightly more important than your BCMP (by AAMC survey results).
I agree with the fact that they are definitely important...especially English. A lot of schools even have a separate English requirement. As for the cGPA being more important than the BCMP, I wont argue with you since you claim to have proof, but I was always under the impression from pre-health advisors and a dean of a med school I know personally that BCMP is more important. cGPA is very important too though.

AH3

Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Like others said, your cGPA is important. It shows that you are well rounded (can write well, etc.) and can do more than just sciences. Because being a doctor requires more than just understanding biology. You have to work with people, interact with patients, and all that stuff. I'd guess that some schools like to see some specific extra classes, such as psychology and philosophy (bioethics in particular).

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
I agree with the fact that they are definitely important...especially English. A lot of schools even have a separate English requirement. As for the cGPA being more important than the BCMP, I wont argue with you since you claim to have proof, but I was always under the impression from pre-health advisors and a dean of a med school I know personally that BCMP is more important. cGPA is very important too though.
The AAMC survey last year was pretty clear the cGPA>BCMP. This may be in part due to the BCMP being included in the cGPA. In other words, what your advisors have said is true in that BCMP classes have a greater value PER CLASS than do non-science; however, the overall GPA (which tells how you do overall) is more important than is your performance in a single area (i.e., sciences). Additionally, a post just today from Law2Doc (a current resident) expressed just how much more a service (i.e., people) profession medicine is than a scientific one. That is, the people element is at least as important as is the scientific aspect. Since many non-science courses are more people-related than are science courses (in general), medical schools appear to be basically mirroring this perspective.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
The AAMC survey last year was pretty clear the cGPA>BCMP. This may be in part due to the BCMP being included in the cGPA. In other words, what your advisors have said is true in that BCMP classes have a greater value PER CLASS than do non-science; however, the overall GPA (which tells how you do overall) is more important than is your performance in a single area (i.e., sciences). Additionally, a post just today from Law2Doc (a current resident) expressed just how much more a service (i.e., people) profession medicine is than a scientific one. That is, the people element is at least as important as is the scientific aspect. Since many non-science courses are more people-related than are science courses (in general), medical schools appear to be basically mirroring this perspective.
Ok yeah that makes sense. I definitely agree about the medical field is very service oriented and it's importance. That's why good numbers alone will get you rejected everywhere.

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd be interested to see what leads you to believe cGPA > BCPM. Not that I doubt you, it's just that I have heard different (to an extent). I also think that most peoples cGPA is better than their sGPA, since in general science classes are more challenging (for most people). It seems what the OP is really asking is what is more important non-sci-GPA vs. sGPA. Definitely sGPA is more important than non-science GPA.

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok yeah that makes sense. I definitely agree about the medical field is very service oriented and it's importance. That's why good numbers alone will get you rejected everywhere.
Just my opinion, but that seems like it would be better assessed by EC's (volunteering) than how well you did in an english/history class.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Just my opinion, but that seems like it would be better assessed by EC's (volunteering) than how well you did in an english/history class.
Yeah I agree. That's what I meant...your numbers aren't going to show adcoms how service oriented you are. That's why a lot of people get rejected. They focus so much on the numbers and forget about this equally important aspect of medicine.