other dat materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...I'm using the Kaplan review book (2000 edition) to study for my dat this august...anyone else suggest some really good test review materials...more like stuff I can test myself? or practice dats? anyone's opinions on topscore, and do I buy it on amazon only? thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Seema:

I'm using the Topscore software in addition to the Kaplan review book. I've found that Topscore is helpful in that it allows you to practice subtests (e.g., biology only) without having to take a complete DAT practice test. It is good in that each test (or subtest) is timed, so you start to develop a feel for how long you can spend on each section (I get the best benefit in time management by taking the subtests separately for at least 1 of the 3 DAT batteries included).
I also hear that it is a good simulation of what the screens on the actual DAT look like.

I also highly recommend Kaplan's Organic Edge review book. I haven't taken O Chem in 7 years, and after just a few weeks of careful review in this book, I have been scoring 18 & 19 on my O Chem practice tests.

Good luck seema! You'll knockem' dead this year!

Smile_doc :wink:

I thought the Kaplan's organic edge book was pretty much the same as the review notes? Ochem is my most scariest section, if you could go into more detail about this book I would be very thankful.

I remember Yah-E said that Kaplan's O-chem review was basically the same as the review notes. Anyone elses opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I think is the best way to study:
(I studied for a month and got 19s so I think I did OK for the amount of time I put in..and it had been over 3 yrs. since I had taken chemistry)
Know all the Kaplan review notes and all Topscore questions down cold. Print out the study guideline on the A.D.A. website and try to memorize as much as you can on each topic. I went through and highlighted every topic after I finished studying it. It's hard not to get into too much detail, but Kaplan and Topscore material is enough for the bio and gen. chem sections.
If you've done the Organic Edge book and you understand every review problem, the Ochem section will be a joke.

I'm not worried about O-chem or reading...the first time I took the, I got a 19 and 20 respectively...what I'm worried about is bio, gen chem and that stupid math section...I also just recently retook orgo I and II (did better this time, got A- and B), so its very fresh in my head...I guess I'll check out barnes and nobles...I'd love to find some stuff that focuses on gen chem and bio....

Iflossdaily, thanks for the ada section idea...I think I'm going to do that...you said you studied for one month, but about how many hours a day? Did you work while you studied?

Smile_doc, thanks for the topscore review...you are like the 5th or 6th person who has said good things about it, so I think I'm going to buy it after I use the kaplan book first as a review.

Thanks guys! :) :D

Desi:

The second section in the Organic Edge review book is the same as the Kaplan Review Notes, but the first half of the book is devoted to explaining some of the basic reaction concepts in a more detailed manner. The first half of the book explains why one reaction (SN1 vs. SN2) might be preferred over the other, why SN2 and E2 reactions compete, and how you can look at the reactants to predict what type of reaction will be favored, how to predict the most likely products in electrophilic aromatic substitutions based on whether there is an o/p activating or deactivating group or a m-deactivator already present on the ring, etc. In short, the first half of the book is more of the "how to" of organic. Believe me, with having had O Chem 7 years ago, organic is my scariest section, too, but this book REALLY helps.

iflossdaily,
I am curious about what the "ADA study guidelines" are. I looked on the ADA.org website and couldn't find anything even close to what you have described. I appreciate all of your input, you are like a dental guru!!

ADA test guide:

The examinations are comprised exclusively of multiple-choice test items presented in the English language. Each edition of an examination is developed according to the examination outline. There are four examinations included in the Dental Admission Testing Program. The entire program requires just over one half-day for administration. The examinations included are:

I. Survey of the Natural Sciences

Biology: Cell and Molecular Biology - origin of life; cell metabolism (including photosynthesis)/enzymology cellular processes: thermodynamics; organelle structure and function; mitosis/meiosis:

Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (monera, planti, anamalia, protista, fungi, etc.) using the five-kingdom system; Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology: Structure and Function of Systems - integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, immunological, digestive, respiratory, urinary, nervous/senses, endocrine, and reproductive; Developmental Biology - fertilization, descriptive embryology, and developmental mechanisms; Genetics - molecular genetics, human genetics, classical geneics, and chromosomal genetics; Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior - natural selection, population genetics/speciation, cladistics, population and community ecology, ecosystems, and animal behavior (including social behavior).

General Chemistry: Stoichiometry and General Concepts - (percent composition, empirical formulae, balancing equations, moles and molecular formulas, molar mass, density, and calculations from balanced equations; Gases - kinetic molecular theory of gases, Dalton's, Boyle's, Charles, and ideal gas laws; Liquids and Solids - intermolecular forces, phase changes, vapor pressure, structures, polarity, and properties; Solutions - polarity, properties (colligative, non-colligative), forces, and concentration calculations; Acids and Bases - pH, strength, Bronsted-Lowry reactions, calculations; Chemical Equilibria - molecular, acid/base, precipitation, calculations, and Le Chatelier?s principle; Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry- laws of thermodynamics, Hess? law, spontaneity, enthalpies and entropies, and heat transfer; Chemical Kinetics - rate laws, activation energy, and half life; Oxidation-Reduction Reactions - balancing equations, determination of oxidation numbers, electrochemical calculations, and electrochemical concepts and terminology; Atomic and Molecular Structure - electron configuration, orbital types, Lewis-Dot diagrams, atomic theory, quantum theory, molecular geometry, bond types, and sub-atomic particles; Periodic Properties -representative elements, transition elements, periodic trends, and descriptive chemistry; Nuclear Reactions - balancing equations, binding energy, decay processes, particles, and terminology; Laboratory - basic techniques, equipment, error analysis, safety, and data analysis.

Organic Chemistry: Mechanisms (Energetics, Structure, and Stability of Intermediates) - SN1, SN2, elimination, addition, free radical, and substitution mechanisms; Chemical and Physical Properties of Molecules and Organic Analysis - inter- and intra-molecular forces, separation, introductory infrared spectroscopy, 1HNMR spectroscopy, 13CNMR, chemical identification, stability, solubility, and polarity; Stereochemistry - conforma?tional analysis, optical activity, chirality, chiral centers, planes of symmetry, enantiomers, diastereomers, and meso compounds; Nomenclature - IUPAC rules, and functional groups in molecules; Reactions of the Major Functional Groups and Combinations of Reactions to Synthesize Compounds; Acid-base chemistry - resonance effects, inductive results, and prediction of products and equilibria; Aromatics and Bonding - concept of aromaticity, resonance, atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, hybridization, bond angles, and bond lengths.

Back to Top of Page

II. Perceptual Ability

Angle discrimination, form development cubes, orthographic projections, apertures, and paper folding.

Back to Top of Page

III. Reading Comprehension

Ability to read, organize, analyze, and remember new information in dental and basic sciences.

Ability to comprehend thoroughly when studying scientific information. Reading materials are typi?cal of materials encountered in the first year of dental school and require no prior knowledge of the topic other than a basic undergraduate prepa?ration in science. The Reading Comprehension Test contains three reading passages.

Back to Top of Page

IV. Quantitative Reasoning

Mathematical Problems: Algebra - equations and expressions, inequalities, exponential notation, absolute value, and ratios and proportions, and graphical analysis; Numerical calculations - fractions and decimals, percentages, approximations and scientific notation; Conversions - temperature, time, weight, and distance; Probability and Statistics; Geometry; Trigonometry, and Applied Mathematics (Word) Problems.

A number of procedures are used to insure that tests are fair to all examinees regardless of racial, ethnic, gender, or regional background. The test construction process involves a review of questions to insure that they are not differentially familiar to any groups of individuals. Further, as part of the scoring process, test-question data are analyzed for fairness. Any questions that may appear differentially familiar are evaluated and, if appropriate, modified.

Validity studies are published annually containing correlations between test scores and dental grades. These reports are available upon request from the Department of Testing Services, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 1846, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2678.

<a href="http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/scope.html" target="_blank">ADA DAT guide</a>

I hope this helps,

DesiDentist

Desidentist, SWEETNESS!! Thanks for the info!

About AADSAS: It has been off-line and I am getting totally frustrated and mad! :mad: I thought that I would get my application stuff finished this weekend but NO, the AADSAS people completely ruined my plans!! Oh yeah, does AADSAS give you your overall and science gpa's right after you complete your applicatio or do you have to pay extra?? :mad:

hey EyeCandy,

AADSAS calculates four GPA's for you at no extra cost (don't give them any more ideas to make our lives even more hellish). But they should calculate the following gpas:

Science
Biology, Chemistry, Physics (BCP)
Non-Science
Overall

Yeah, I was checking if everything was working on AADSAS and then the server went down. I think you should email them. I emailed them as soon as I encountered and let them know I was pissed. I think with enough emails they will understand, hopefully.

Good Luck,

DesiDentist