Other Degres

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people that have other degress looking on badly by adcoms, such as a Master's or Ph.d, before applying to med school?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not -- from the mouths of med school deans, i have heard that it is something that can actually be to your benefit -- IF you can find a good way to integrate that degree or your activities while obtaining that degree with your pusuit of a career in medicine. I'd say there is certainly variation between adcoms and the way each perceives just about ANYTHING on your resume, but getting another degree before going into medicine can be an experience to your benefit if you approach it with earnest interest and passion, and can relate it to your ultimate desire to go into medicine (better yet, demonstrate how the degree contributes to preparing you to be a better physician than you would have been without it!)

Just curious, do you have any particular degree in mind? If so, what field? :)

In my experience having a master's degree has been favorable...

Originally posted by dr. deez
In my experience having a master's degree has been favorable...

Depends if it is a masters that requires original research and a thesis or a BS non-thesis one-year masters that some of these schools give.