Other Dental Prof. then dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalwhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first post but I've been lurking around on this site for a while.

I applied to dental school for the 2006 cycle but was rejected. My GPA isn't that great but my DAT scores are solid. Anyways, what I wanted to ask is what do you guys think of going into other dental professions such as dental hygiene or denturism and then re-applying?

I thought about doing a post-bacc to boost my GPA but I don't want to spend 2 years doing that without any sort of promise at the end. Also, I did think about grad school but being a non-science undergrad it'd be difficult for me to do a science focused grad program. I've looked at the grad programs out there and nothing interests me enough and the only reason I'd be doing it is for dental school.

So, back to my question - do you think it will improve my chances if I venture into other dental professions? (It also diminished the risk of being without a career).

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

dentalwhat said:
Hi Guys,

This is my first post but I've been lurking around on this site for a while.

I applied to dental school for the 2006 cycle but was rejected. My GPA isn't that great but my DAT scores are solid. Anyways, what I wanted to ask is what do you guys think of going into other dental professions such as dental hygiene or denturism and then re-applying?

I thought about doing a post-bacc to boost my GPA but I don't want to spend 2 years doing that without any sort of promise at the end. Also, I did think about grad school but being a non-science undergrad it'd be difficult for me to do a science focused grad program. I've looked at the grad programs out there and nothing interests me enough and the only reason I'd be doing it is for dental school.

So, back to my question - do you think it will improve my chances if I venture into other dental professions? (It also diminished the risk of being without a career).

I'd love to hear your opinions!

sure it would benefit you...but what kinda time do you have on your hands? applying to dental school is like "crap shoot" and you can better the biases in your favor by bettering your application and thus, dental related work can help out. however, what is your gpa and your test scores. lets start with that?

if you are serious about dentistry and need to bring up your science GPA, then spend a year doing it.

at the same time, get very involved in the field of dentistry by shadowing and/or getting a part time job in a dental office.

it will take some added effort for you to get in, but if dentistry is what you want to do... then investing a year or two getting to dental school shouldn't be a problem...

if it IS a problem, then a DMD/DDS probably isn't for you and you probably should look elsewhere.