Other means of acquiring research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on doing research over the summer. However, I was wondering if there were any other ways of getting a research position without applying to SURP, REU, or other programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

See if professors conducting research at your university have undergrad students acting as research assistants, and try to get a position with one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The easiest way to start doing research is to contact professors at your school and ask them about joining their lab. They may have room in their lab for you next semester and if you are lucky you might be able to work in the lab over the summer depending on the type of funding they have. Some schools offer grants to students to conduct independent research of their own design, you usually need to have some research experience to be able to come up with a novel and reasonable summer experiment but this may also be an option for you, as this may be less competitive than REU programs. Another option for you if your school is not a big research school is to email professors who are doing research that interests you at a large research university and email them your CV and ask if they have any spots for the summer, having prior research experience would be helpful for this as well. Also, you might have to settle for doing an unpaid internship this way, but could still probably get course credit. I was able to get a paid summer research position at a university that is not the one I attend by emailing the professor. Hope this helps

One area that I feel is vastly overlooked is community-based research. There are programs/hospitals/university departments all over that either have CBR programs or are developing them. I did CBR for over a year (I'm now the student assistant of our university's program), and I have to say that it gave me valuable medical experience and was a great topic to bring up during interviews.

What others have said - contact professors at your university. If there is a medical school nearby, you may even try asking around there to see if there are any open positions for research assistants.

Thanks for the input everyone

One area that I feel is vastly overlooked is community-based research. There are programs/hospitals/university departments all over that either have CBR programs or are developing them. I did CBR for over a year (I'm now the student assistant of our university's program), and I have to say that it gave me valuable medical experience and was a great topic to bring up during interviews.

For the CBR programs, would I just contact hospitals in my area to see if they offer them?