Other methods of finding doctoral internships that are available, but NOT listed on Post-Match Vacancy Service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PiedPiper1

Reaction score
Greetings, I am in the process of trying to hunt down an internship for next year. I, unfortunately, have not matched after going through Phase I, II, and still currently in PMVS.

I was curious if there are other resources out there to search for available clinical psych doctoral internships (or if anyone knows of any open positions that might not be listed on the PMVS list)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Try state association listservs, and also joining listservs for the different APA divisions. Can your DCT possibly put out some feelers?
Also, you can go to the postdoc listings Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory
and essentially "cold call"/ email sites to see if they have an internship spot open or would be willing to do something.

I'd encourage you to speak with your DCT and/or mentor (or trusted prof) about the pros/cons of applying to non-APA acred internship sites. I know it isn't ideal to have to consider taking the year and then re-applying next cycle, but you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage coming out of training.

I applied at the height of the internship imbalance and despite securing interviews at top tier places (e.g. Boston Consortium, OU Consortium/Health Sciences, etc), I got squeezed and didn't match. In many cases, a person who doesn't match is just as qualified as others, but if you were ranked 2nd and they only had 1 spot....out of luck. It was very tempting to scramble into whatever I could find, but I'm glad waited because it would have really limited my career options. While it sucked to stay an extra year, I used that time the best I could to teach, research, and work a bit. I ended up getting interviews at some great places and matching to one. In the end, I graduated with the cohort behind me, but I was so much. better positioned for what I wanted to do.

Reactions: 4 users