other NYMC interviewees feel the pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gosh, I am so darn broke!!!!!!!!!!

Because I am traveling from CA, the only reasonable airfare for an interview (on Tuesday) was the flight that will arrive in NY on Sunday morning.

I ended up getting Hilton in Tarrytown using priceline.com, which saved me approximately $120 for two nights.

The problem is the transportation. Since I will have 2 full days before my interview on Tuesday, I was hoping to rent a car. But the cheapest rental I can find is $34.99 PLUS $43 under 25 fee per day!!!! So for 3 days rental (because I pick the car Sunday AM and drop it off Tuesday eveninig), it will amount to $240, not including tax. I have looked into off-site car rental agencies, one place has only $10 under 25 fee plus $45 a day, but they won't pick me up from the airport, so I am not using them. (taxi fee will be $20 oneway from airport to rental place)

My other option is to take the taxi, but since I need to stop by for food (I probably won't be able to afford room service at Hilton for 2 days), etc, and also want to visit NYMC on Monday, the approximate cab fare not including the tip is $160.

Of course, if I did not plan on arriving NY on Sunday, I would have had to chaulk up $800 for the airfare, so all this headache is saving me some money. But still!!!! Also, I can't rely on host program, because I need to stay for 2 nights plus will have to ask to stay on Sunday, Monday during day time. That weekend is when students come back from winter break, so I figured that it will be too hectic for them....

Anyone else having this dilemma?

The total cost for this trip will be $300 airfare plus $90 hotel fee plus $260 rental = $650. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does NYMC allow you to stay with their students?? Maybe that way at least you can save on hotel costs.

I went to NYMC about a week ago for Tuesday interview, but took a late flight Sunday night on America West and arrived early Monday morning. Why aren't you staying with a student? They are available and helpful, I strongly recommend it. Rent from Enterprise near JFK - they shuttle you form the airport, and there is no fee if you are over 21.

My ticket cost $221, and a rental (they gave me a free upgrade when I got there) for two days at $30.68 per day.

Don't stress out - it's a good thing to have interviews... the costs are a pain, but it'll be worth it in the end. SDN is a good place to find out where to get good deals on fligths and rentals.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
If you sign up for a Student Advantage membership ($15/year), then you get discounts on Amtrak, Greyhound, AA, and Enterprise rent a car. When you rent through Enterprise, you won't need to pay the under age 25 fee. I saw this on a website. Good luck!

Hi lilninja,

I am kicking myself that I have already made a non-refundable airline reservation at White Plains. I thought the convinience of choosing the airport closer to school was important for me. When I was able to get the ticket for $314, I was ecstatic, but in retrospect, getting the ticket for JFK for around $200 would have not only save $100 in airline ticket but also $200 in car rental cost. I am forcing myself to believe that closer airport that will save me 1 hour drive each way is well worth the extra $300 :( :( .

Why in the world are the rental car companies charging so much for underage drivers in Westchester County as oppose to other counties in NY? It simply does not make sense. Enterprise, for example, charges $110 a day for under 25. Thankfully, national rental car only charges $43 extra.

Dr. Kermit, thank you for the suggestion. I did find the deal for car rental, but unfortunately, Dollar Rental is not located in Westchester airport!!!!!!! YIKES

I decided not to stay with the student, because I thought that spending 2 days with someone who might be stressing over getting ready after winter break and/or studying actually would not be worth saving the hotel cost.

Thanks for reading my post!

Hey,

For my NYMC trip (also from california), I stayed at the ramada inn in valhalla,if you tell them you are coming in for NYMC interview they give you a student discount. Took the cab to the campus ($5.00 not including tip). The room was nice and they do have room service.

Best of luck at the interview ... its a low/no stress type of thing.
:)

hi guys. . .

i have an interview at nymc on the 28th of jan. . .which is a monday. . i was wondering. . which airport do you guys recommend flying to. . also. ..for those of you guys who got cheap airfares. .where did you look for those?

thanks!

Originally posted by Sabrina:
•i have an interview at nymc on the 28th of jan. . .which is a monday. . i was wondering. . which airport do you guys recommend flying to. . also. ..for those of you guys who got cheap airfares. .where did you look for those?
•••

Try <a href="http://www.orbitz.com" target="_blank">Orbitz</a>. Use NYC as the destination airport and it will find the cheapest airport to fly into (JFK, La Guardia, or Newark). They are all about the same as far as getting transportation to Valhalla. Good luck.

You might also try White Plains Airport (airport code is HPN -- they might call it Westchester Airport now). Occasionally there are cheap fares into White Plains and it is very close to Valhalla. Often thouse it is more expensive to fly into White Plains. Have fun...

thanks guys for all your help. . i was wondering. . .has any had to fly into a state twice for interviews? (for two different schools?)

just wondering. . .b/c. . .besides nymc. .i applied to nyu, but have not heard from them. . .

since i already scheduled an interview with nymc, i may have to fly into ny twice if i hear from nyu later.

I flew to Philly the first week of Dec for a Temple interview. The week before I left I called MCP and asked if there was any way I could schedule an interview for the same week and they said that my file was still being reviewed and that they couldn't tell me anything. I came home from Philly to find an inviation to interview from MCP on my floor dated the day after I called them- doh! Now I have to fly back to Philly, but I arranged for my NYMC interview the same week, so my situation isn't so bad now.

I am not sure exactly where they fly out of (other than long beach), but look into JET BLUE airlines. I think my flight to JFK was $130 each way.

UCSFreak,

Is it common to ask for an interview before being offered? Do most schools find that appropriate?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back today from NYMC interview. USEful hint ----Take Metro North. Fly in to JFK, and take the subway to grand central ($1.50) and the take Metro-North Railroad ($5) for 36 min and youre there at White PLains. Then its a $9 taxi ride to the school. And then split a taxi back to the train station (~$3) with other interviewees. Oh, and stay with a student ($0). Total cost ~$20.

just got nymc invite today. thought i'd bump up these travel tips.

i thought new york medical college starts interviewing in october.that's what they told me when i called

thanks, bikini.
and bruinkid, i just received an e-mail to call them. i didn't set a date yet. it may not be until october. (though i hope it's sooner. i want to get it over with :) )

Hi. Congrats to anyone interviewing at NYMC. Can I ask what the stats of people interviewing there are? Thanks!

i scheduled mine for october 14th.

they start interviewing on october 8th.

3.74, 3.80sci, 3.58non-sci, 11-11-12 (34)

Can you people please tell us how long after your app was complete did you get interview invite from NYMC?
Also has anyone gotten rejected yet from there, if so same question as above.

X

i got an invite a few days after amcas transmitted my final application to them...my secondary and letters were already there.

according to nymc app status page,
2ary rec'd 7/31/02
complete 8/20/02
invite 8/26/02

Hello Everyone. I've readin this site for months, but for once I can actually contribute. I recieved my NYMC interview invite 3 days ago. My stats: 3.75, 3.87sci, 3.69non-sci, 9-9-10 (28). My interview is on the 9th of Oct.

Originally posted by jkway
My interview is on the 9th of Oct.

mine, too. i'll see you there. :)

So looks like they are going for the high GPA ones right now. Well congrats you overachievers :p

jkway, when was your app complete?

X

jkway - nevermind saw the date in the other post, thanks.

I am hoping they are sending me some love soon.

X

Isn't their avg. GPA like 3.4? If so, I'd say most people matriculating there have GPA's of 3.0-3.8. I think they know that superstuds like some of you guys with 3.8's and 34 MCATs just aren't gonna wind up going there. They can always hope though!

Is NYMC the first choice of anyone here?

are you guys applying to any other schools nearby?

i have mt. sinai and albert einstein. should i call them and let them know i'll be in town to see if could interview with them while i'm there if it's possible?

what's the proper way to do something like this???

-joe joe