Other options after M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted784155

a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
MD education is pretty specialized, you would be hard pressed to find any school to accept transfer. Might be most beneficial in contacting programs that you are interested at your home institution.

Why don't you want to continue medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will finish M1 this Spring in good standing, but do not wish to continue medical school. Are there any options to transfer credits from the first year to a program such as dental school or another graduate program?
Why?

Well, If you want to be a surgeon and have nice hours, look into podiatry school. Seriously. They are surgeons and the schedule is much more flexible for people who are looking to have a family. I personally have family members in the field and they go home around 5 every night and dont work on weekends.

The first two years are the same as medical school, but they might allow you to waive that first year because curriculum is so similar. In 3rd and 4th year, Pods focus much more on lower extremity, although they still have to be knowledgeable about the entire body.

Part of the reason medicine really interested me was the option of going into surgery. The idea of working with my hands to manipulate anatomy to solve health issues seemed like such an incredible marriage of my love for both science and my intrinsic desire to work with my hands. Though as I have attended courses, I realize that rather than the thought and understanding required for the courses I loved in college, it is rouge memorization and regurgitation. Additionally, the more realistic my goals of becoming a surgeon become, the less I want them as I am a female in my late 20's and would likely have to pursue such a goal at the expensive of having children who I can truly be there to raise before the age of 35.

I originally did want to attend dental school and was talked out of it and told that it was a "cop out" and I am now really regretting the decision, but am actively seeking other possible opportunities. I would like to salvage the years work and expense if there is any way possible.

It's pretty common for people to dislike M1 and M2 years. The majority of M3s and M4s I have talked to say that seeing patients (even with the long hours) is more enjoyable than M1 and M2 years because you start getting a glimpse at what medicine is really like. While I don't hate M1 year, I didn't go to medical school to sit at a desk and memorize facts for the rest of my life. However, it is a required part of the path to medicine and some people enjoy it more than others. I enjoy interacting with patients and being in a clinical setting so it's likely that I will enjoy M3 and M4 year more than M1 and M2 year.

You absolutely can have children and be a surgeon. I have plenty of classmate in their late 20s (some of whom want to be surgeons) and I doubt they will all abstain from having children. There are lots of surgeons (both men and women) who have children and they manage. No matter what career you choose, there will always be some sort of sacrifice made, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. The level of sacrifice you will have to make also depends on what kind of surgeon that you want to be.

I would recommend talking to one of the counselors at your school about your frustrations. Dropping out of medical school is a pretty significant decision and not one that you want to take lightly. If you do have your heart on dental school, you definitely should look into that. I also recommend that you talk to some mentors about this.

Last edited:
Did you get the chance to shadow a surgeon or any doctor as a medical student? Getting to see "The otherside" can be really rejuvenating and motivating.

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty common for people to dislike M1 and M2 years. The majority of M3s and M4s I have talked to say that seeing patients (even with the long hours) is more enjoyable than M1 and M2 years because you start getting a glimpse at what medicine is really like. While I don't hate M1 year, I didn't go to medical school to sit at a desk and memorize facts for the rest of my life. However, it is a required part of the path to medicine and some people enjoy it more than others. I enjoy interacting with patients and being in a clinical setting so it's likely that I will enjoy M3 and M4 year more than M1 and M2 year.

You absolutely can have children and be a surgeon. I have plenty of classmate in their late 20s (some of whom want to be surgeons) and I doubt they will all abstain from having children. There are lots of surgeons (both men and women) who have children and they manage. No matter what career you choose, there will always be some sort of sacrifice made, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. The level of sacrifice you will have to make also depends on what kind of surgeon that you want to be.

I would recommend talking to one of the counselors at your school about your frustrations. Dropping out of medical school is a pretty significant decision and not one that you want to take lightly. If you do have your heart on dental school, you definitely should look into that. I also recommend that you talk to some mentors about this.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.... but everything I've seen and know suggests that having children during surgical residency is a terrible, terrible idea. You will not see them. No offense to either you or your classmates but I don't think they know what surgical residency is actually like. The only girl in my class who I know wants to do surgery just also happens to be sterile.................................

Anyway OP, might I suggest a procedural based specialty that won't grind you to dust mentally and physically and can offer a good work/life balance, like EM, IM subspecialty (cards, GI, CC, etc), gas, PMR, or Rads. Or hit the books hard and gun for dermatology, I think you'd enjoy that.

Last edited:
Part of the reason medicine really interested me was the option of going into surgery. The idea of working with my hands to manipulate anatomy to solve health issues seemed like such an incredible marriage of my love for both science and my intrinsic desire to work with my hands. Though as I have attended courses, I realize that rather than the thought and understanding required for the courses I loved in college, it is rouge memorization and regurgitation. Additionally, the more realistic my goals of becoming a surgeon become, the less I want them as I am a female in my late 20's and would likely have to pursue such a goal at the expensive of having children who I can truly be there to raise before the age of 35.

I originally did want to attend dental school and was talked out of it and told that it was a "cop out" and I am now really regretting the decision, but am actively seeking other possible opportunities. I would like to salvage the years work and expense if there is any way possible.
Yea dentistry is a sweet gig if you don't have much debt. Otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. In the future you shouldn't choose a job or stay away from a job b/c someone said it's a copout though. It's YOUR future not some random person's.

edit:: there's a reason more than like 60% of my class is female. No residency and if you do general (again without much debt), school is easy. You can have a lot of free time if you're just trying to pass.

Don't quit. Choose a specialty other than surgery, plenty of choices to practice medicine and have time for kids.

P.S.you don't solve health issues as a surgeon. I should know.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.... but everything I've seen and know suggests that having children during surgical residency is a terrible, terrible idea. You will not see them. No offense to either you or your classmates but I don't think they know what surgical residency is actually like. The only girl in my class who I know wants to do surgery just also happens to be sterile.................................

Anyway OP, might I suggest a procedural based specialty that won't grind you to dust mentally and physically and can offer a good work/life balance, like EM, IM subspecialty (cards, GI, CC, etc), gas, PMR, or Rads. Or hit the books hard and gun for dermatology, I think you'd enjoy that.

I'm certainly not implying that having a child during residency would be easy. But I know surgeons who had a child during residency and while it wasn't easy, they prioritized their time off to spend time with their child. It also helps to have a supportive partner and a supportive family. The amount of time that the OP would have with her child would also depend on what kind of surgeon she wants to be.

I’m a surgeon. I work with my hands to solve problems and I love it. I also do not have children but hope to someday. It’s realistic to expect to have children later in life as a surgeon, true, you can’t always have it all. But medicine is so good these days, people are living longer, and the idea of being an older mother isn’t so scary anymore. I would recommend shadowing a surgeon on a weekend or during your free time before you make the decision to quit. If the risk truly outweighs the benefit for you then, then quit and go into something else. PA school may be good for you too, you don’t have responsibility, work less hours, but can still assist in the operating room.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol what

We don't. We just fix things.

Re-read the OP's post. It's far too idealistic. The realities of surgery are not apparent to her -- we never truly "solve" anything. So maybe another specialty is a better choice than quitting medicine altogether.

I'm not a surgeon but I can think of plenty of scenarios where fixing things directly results in solving a health issue. Unless you define a "health issue" as purely socioeconomic or something else bizarre.

Re-read the OP's post. It's far too idealistic. The realities of surgery are not apparent to her -- we never truly "solve" anything. So maybe another specialty is a better choice than quitting medicine altogether.

I disagree. Surgical issues are health issues.

Reactions: 1 users