other pharm d students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlh908

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am in my first semster of pharm d coursework at LECOM, which is a 3 year accelerated program. I feel a bit overwhelmed and have been told that the first semester is usually the hardest. Is the experience that others have had? There is no one course in particular that is hard, there is just a lot of information to know. I am finding out that pharmacy school is harder than I thought it would be.......
Just looking for what others have experienced.....

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you by my own personal experience in pharmacy and med school, that it is always a big transition entering a graduate or professional school. The upside is that it will get better! I can't think of anyone in my pharmacy class or med school class who didn't have varying degrees of the feelings you express.

The first semester is not always the hardest per se, but it may be the worst. Basically, you are entering a professional school and now have to adapt to new teaching styles and tons more information. The material will only get harder and increase in volume, but you will be used to it! In a couple of months, you will still think pharmacy school's material is difficult, but you will be used to it and better able to handle it.

I went through the same feelings when I started pharmacy school. I find medical school (much) more difficult than I found pharmacy school, and the amount of material is much, MUCH greater, but I actually have had an easier time adjusting than I did when I started pharmacy school! Moral of the story, the material will not get any easier, but you will grow and get used to the volume and difficulty of material.

It's only going to get better!
Jason

Hi TLH... First year/first semester PharmD definitely wasn't the toughest time for me. That period was a definite challenge as far as transitioning from undergrad work to a more rigorous (and rewarding) curriculum. Once you become accustomed to pharmacy school life in general, the coursework won't seem as bad. Hope that helps.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Lake Erie Pharm D program and would like to know how competitive is it to get into. Any information would be great.

LECOM's stats are close to the national average - so don't expect an easy pass in. They do like community service, good academic background, experience in pharmacy and a lot of the other stuff everyone else looks for. It is a good school and I think admissions will only get harder because there is a demand for the accelerated program.......

TLH, I have a good friend who goes to LECOM and said the same things you did. She says that LECOM is a good school with high standards. I would like to here other opinions about the school. She is a good friend so I am not sure if she is just trying to get me to attend there or if the school really is good.