Other pre-req courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OlderStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So besides the basic pre-req courses of
chem
o-chem
bio
physics

what other pre-req courses are there for some medical schools? I know it is in the MSAR book, but I don't have that book yet. So I was hoping to get a little help of what other courses I need to take.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever subject is covered in the MCAT, chances are that you will have to take that class. I'm pretty sure that Genetics is a must, and biochemistry is HIGHLY recomended.

1 year of English.

Some schools require 1 year of math, so look into taking calc or stats.

Some schools require biochem.

Some schools require 1 year of humanities or social sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that to be sure, you must check the homepage of the school. BUT, in you guys' opinion, how picky do schools tend to be? For example, I am a nursing major. So, for Chem, I take Intro to General, Organic, and Biochem. (which is meant for the health sciences), and then I take General Chemistry 2, which is listed as an organic chem course. I worry however, that because their labeled as courses for Health professionals, they will be deemed as less rigorous than those just listed as Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2, etc. Does anyone have any insight or experience into issues like these?

thanks guys,
brittany

Some schools require 1 year of math, so look into taking calc or stats.

Only if you plan to apply to those schools........

I guess it depends..eg- In my school the general chem for nursing/nutrition majors is 1 semester and so is their orgo. There is a separate chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2 sequence for the pre-med/science majors. I don't think the 1 semester classes would satisfy the pre-req b/c you need 2 semester of orgo and 2 semesters of gen chem..however I guess it depends on your school, maybe you should speak to a pre-med advisor? Everytime I speak to my advisor, she tells me that the A&P class I took is a "nursing" class, and it will be looked at that way by med schools..

yeah ill do that. Too bad by academic advisor is a COMPLETE idiot. She has no idea what the heck shes talking about, and she doesn't even feel the need to return calls/emails. Im trying to plan out my "plan of study" now, so I know I'll be able to apply on time, with all my required classes. I guess to be safe i should just take my two nursing chem courses (1 of which is considered organic chem), and then take Organic Chem 1 and Organic Chem 2 later on. Might even be better that way. (Taking a most likely watered down Organic chem nursing version, before i go at it full throttle).

So besides the basic pre-req courses of
chem
o-chem
bio
physics

what other pre-req courses are there for some medical schools? I know it is in the MSAR book, but I don't have that book yet. So I was hoping to get a little help of what other courses I need to take.
It varies by school. Go to the library and check out a copy of the MSAR if you don't want to buy one or go to the schools' websites if you know where you want to apply. My school requires biochem and I think that most schools recommend it.

hint: recommended is synonymous with required in premed land.

My school lists "Intro to Bio" and "Anatomy and Physiology" as required courses that fall under the "1 year of Bio" prereq. Now, is that true..? Is that the same for all schools? Or, is A and P a "recommended" course? (I remember asking on another thread if this was helpful for the MCAT, but never inquired if it was actually a bio prereq)

yeah ill do that. Too bad by academic advisor is a COMPLETE idiot. She has no idea what the heck shes talking about, and she doesn't even feel the need to return calls/emails. Im trying to plan out my "plan of study" now, so I know I'll be able to apply on time, with all my required classes. I guess to be safe i should just take my two nursing chem courses (1 of which is considered organic chem), and then take Organic Chem 1 and Organic Chem 2 later on. Might even be better that way. (Taking a most likely watered down Organic chem nursing version, before i go at it full throttle).

The difference between the nursing and the regular classes is HUGE! The nursing ones are just intro classes and may not satisfy the requirement of Medical Schools. But I that is just what I have seen.

I know that to be sure, you must check the homepage of the school. BUT, in you guys' opinion, how picky do schools tend to be? For example, I am a nursing major. So, for Chem, I take Intro to General, Organic, and Biochem. (which is meant for the health sciences), and then I take General Chemistry 2, which is listed as an organic chem course. I worry however, that because their labeled as courses for Health professionals, they will be deemed as less rigorous than those just listed as Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2, etc. Does anyone have any insight or experience into issues like these?

thanks guys,
brittany

If your school offers chem etc through the basic science departement then that is what you need to take. i might be wrong, but i know at my school they offer nursing and kineseiology equivlants of chem/bio/phys/orgo, but no med school excepts them, or so the premed advisor tells us. i am sure at your school you have a premed advisor who would know the answer to your quesion....