Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Other Pritzker Essay

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by leahmaria, Jul 16, 2006.

1. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know I've already brought this point up, but I have a hard time coming up with things to write about in terms of challenges I've faced, my life hasn't been very hard. In the essay that I'm writing for Pritzker, this is more of a challenge because it asks for " both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice"..this excludes difficult situations that weren't really resolved or who I had no one to seek support from (such as getting sick alone in a foreign country)...

anyway, my mom suggests that I add a disclaimer at the end of my essay along the lines of: I am thankful that this is the most difficult situation I can write about...

what do you think? should i go for a more challenging situation that i'll have a hard time answering the rest of the questions for?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    leahmaria- I view these prompts as pretty much just that: prompts. You don't want to go too off tangent, but I think you have a lot of leeway.

For instance, using your example of getting alone in a foreign country, your resolution is when you got when and for support you can talk about a lesson your mom once taught you or something along those lines.

These aren't really suggestions, but I think you can come up with some of your own if you don't take their lead too literally.

And don't sweat the part about your life not being that hard. In spite of what you may read, a vast majority of folks entering medical school had pretty cush lives. You're far from alone there.