1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Other RR books as good as RR Path?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by markhh10, Apr 24, 2007.

1. markhh10

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is the consensus about other books in the RR series? Like RR Pharm, RR Anatomy and RR Physiology?

Are they also as good at integrating as the Golijan edited books (Path, Biochem)?

I am interested in using the whole series if the books tie in well with each other

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nasdr

nasdr Member
    7+ Year Member

hopefully someone else can add to this, but for what it's worth, it seems like FA rated all the RR series pretty highly (i.e. Micro/Immuno, Biochem, Anatomy, etc). i've just used RR path, so i cant help much more than that.

4. markhh10

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what about RR pharm?

I really need a good pharm book that is not as long-winded as lippincott.....

5. FotoFusion

FotoFusion Giggity Giggity
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was shocked at how much I liked RR Biochem, immuno/micro, and even physio books.
    I'm just not keen on going against the flow by using RR for phys or immuno, but the RR Bchem is boardworthy methinks.

6. winsicle

winsicle Member
    5+ Year Member

it's been said b/f, but the main problem w/ these books is the lack of bolding/formatting to make the important points stand out and also to denote a change of topic,etc...
    with the current format it's actually difficult to "rapidly review" the books...
    (they need to fire whoever's in charge of formatting the outlines)

that being said the content seems excellent, and the outline format is conducive to note-taking to personalize and understand the concepts. if i could start med school over again I would probably try to use these for my classes and then go back to them for boards review...

but i don't think they're ideally suited for a first run through for boards study

7. smalley

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    rr biochem is pretty good...

8. jav5652

I really like RR pharm.

9. markhh10

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    could you elaborate on RR pharm abit more pls?

does it integrate well and does it include lots of high yield tables and figures?

10. guitarguy09

guitarguy09 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    here's another vote for RR Biochem... great diagrams/figures

11. KNightInBlue

5+ Year Member

I bought an entire set of RR books and use them alongwith kaplan

PROS
    - fantastic outline format - it really sticks in my head to read this way. The weird part was that they follow the exact schema (letters and numbers) that I would use when I made my outlines for class - so it was like I was paying them $35 per subject to get an outline for step 1 - I was laughing out loud when I get the books and started them
    - integration - they have these one-liners all over where they tie in concepts across other disciplines - helps to connect the dots that way
    - summary pics/tables/charts - within each chapter and at the end of each book - help to neatly tie together the concepts for a good, quick review
    - questions - 100 at the end of each book and 350 online per subject - thats over 3600 questions overall; plus the questions aren't wishy washy one-liners like the usmlerx questions, but they make you think about the concepts in an integrated fashion

CONS
    - they need to come up with a better way to bold/outline HY facts. Everything looks the same so you have to pick out the HY parts urself
    - time; each book takes atleast 2 full solid days of 15 hrs each to get thru - so I cant honestly recommend these if you have the test in 5 weeks or less. But if you have ur test in 3 months, then by all means, consider getting these

disclaimer - this is just a preliminary opinion. I haven't taken my step 1 yet, so I guess I should wait to give the final word until after I take my test and get my score

12. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    which version of RR biochem is best... the 2006 or 2003 version?

13. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the lack of bolding and highlighting in this series have forced me to use highlighters for the first time in my life....that being said I really liked RR Biochem

14. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    which version did you use?

15. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    06...it was cheap enough that I didn't see a reason to get the old one