Other RR books as good as RR Path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markhh10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus about other books in the RR series? Like RR Pharm, RR Anatomy and RR Physiology?

Are they also as good at integrating as the Golijan edited books (Path, Biochem)?

I am interested in using the whole series if the books tie in well with each other

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hopefully someone else can add to this, but for what it's worth, it seems like FA rated all the RR series pretty highly (i.e. Micro/Immuno, Biochem, Anatomy, etc). i've just used RR path, so i cant help much more than that.

what about RR pharm?

I really need a good pharm book that is not as long-winded as lippincott.....

I was shocked at how much I liked RR Biochem, immuno/micro, and even physio books.
I'm just not keen on going against the flow by using RR for phys or immuno, but the RR Bchem is boardworthy methinks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was shocked at how much I liked RR Biochem, immuno/micro, and even physio books.
I'm just not keen on going against the flow by using RR for phys or immuno, but the RR Bchem is boardworthy methinks.

it's been said b/f, but the main problem w/ these books is the lack of bolding/formatting to make the important points stand out and also to denote a change of topic,etc...
with the current format it's actually difficult to "rapidly review" the books...
(they need to fire whoever's in charge of formatting the outlines)

that being said the content seems excellent, and the outline format is conducive to note-taking to personalize and understand the concepts. if i could start med school over again I would probably try to use these for my classes and then go back to them for boards review...

but i don't think they're ideally suited for a first run through for boards study

could you elaborate on RR pharm abit more pls?

does it integrate well and does it include lots of high yield tables and figures?

I bought an entire set of RR books and use them alongwith kaplan

PROS
- fantastic outline format - it really sticks in my head to read this way. The weird part was that they follow the exact schema (letters and numbers) that I would use when I made my outlines for class - so it was like I was paying them $35 per subject to get an outline for step 1 - I was laughing out loud when I get the books and started them
- integration - they have these one-liners all over where they tie in concepts across other disciplines - helps to connect the dots that way
- summary pics/tables/charts - within each chapter and at the end of each book - help to neatly tie together the concepts for a good, quick review
- questions - 100 at the end of each book and 350 online per subject - thats over 3600 questions overall; plus the questions aren't wishy washy one-liners like the usmlerx questions, but they make you think about the concepts in an integrated fashion

CONS
- they need to come up with a better way to bold/outline HY facts. Everything looks the same so you have to pick out the HY parts urself
- time; each book takes atleast 2 full solid days of 15 hrs each to get thru - so I cant honestly recommend these if you have the test in 5 weeks or less. But if you have ur test in 3 months, then by all means, consider getting these

disclaimer - this is just a preliminary opinion. I haven't taken my step 1 yet, so I guess I should wait to give the final word until after I take my test and get my score

the lack of bolding and highlighting in this series have forced me to use highlighters for the first time in my life....that being said I really liked RR Biochem

the lack of bolding and highlighting in this series have forced me to use highlighters for the first time in my life....that being said I really liked RR Biochem

which version did you use?