Other UW categories for surgery shelf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted564496

Title says it all.. I'm about three weeks out from the surgery shelf and have really only done pestana + UW + a decent amount of FA... I feel like I need to hit some other sections of UW. Planning on doing fluids, electrolytes, and maybe GI.. Anybody have any thoughts on if these will be enough or if I should hit another subject. This has been a rough rotation for me, this one will pry hurt my class rank, but obviously the goal is to just pass.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to do any other sections of uworld as far as the surgery shelf is concerned, GI would be your best bet; I didn't do fluids/electrolytes though so I can't speak to those. GI helped with a few questions on my shelf last week but it's not like I would have done substantially worse if I didn't do it. Unfortunately the surgery shelf IMO is a crapshoot because I've heard people saying that uworld surgery/pestana/nms were really great for their test, whereas I didn't feel that way at all.

Thanks man, well if UW & pestana aren't enough then I'm real ******!

Members don't see this ad :)
GI would be highest yield. Obgyn would be helpful but lower yield. Medicine would be very helpful but completely impossible to actually do

GI, endocrine and fluids are the standard recommendations (in that order), however I will say that it felt like there were a lot of pulmonary questions on my test. If I could do it over again I would do the sections in a question book (PreTest, Lange) for pre-op/post-op stuff and would skip fluids (too many low-yield renal questions).

Unfortunately the surgery shelf IMO is a crapshoot because I've heard people saying that uworld surgery/pestana/nms were really great for their test, whereas I didn't feel that way at all.

I think they must have changed the test recently, because these are what everybody recommends and I (and the other people I took it with) thought all those resources were mediocre too.

Last edited: