Oto-opth scopes and other "stuff"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am starting my third year of GP training in the UK. The first two years I have spent in hospital posts, where all the med equipment (bar a stethoscope) was provided by the hospital. Now, I am about to step out into the big new world of General Practice - and they want me to have a doctor's bag with all the basic medical equipment, to use during my consultations in clinic as well as on home visits.

So, I am looking at Amazon.com (because I can buy the stuff in the US and bring it over in a few weeks). I have NO CLUE whatsoever about the good, the best or the worst brands of any stuff. They have Oto-Ophth stuff by Doctor Mom for 109 USD vs Welch-Ally for 199 USD - and God only knows what the difference is.

I am probably looking at buying ADC hammer and tuning forks, too. Can I get away with just buying a 128 Hz one, or should I buy a 256 one as well?

I did ask my practice, but they were rather vague, just suggesting that I look for something not very hefty... Well, thanks for that.:rolleyes:

I was wondering what experiences you folks had with various stuff. I am especially interested in the -scopes, since throwing away 200 bucks would be kind of painful, but if you have good ideas re: hammers and forks, I would love to hear from you.

Also, I will be working in an inner-city practice, so will get away with doing my home visits on a bicycle (yay!). Any ideas for a doctor's bag that I can attach to my rear pannier?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tuning forks (128 and 512 Hz), reflex hammer, pocket vision chart, cotton/Q-tips, safety pin/paper clip, penlight, and a small vial of coffee grounds are all part of the basic kit for a complete neuro exam.

That stuff is cheap.

A decent stethoscope is a given. A basic blood pressure cuff isn't that expensive, either.

The relatively expensive (and debatably useful) part is the otoscope/ophthalmoscope set. You'll find a couple of different viewpoints on buying these. One is "forget it...if you need it, they'll have it," and the other is "what's another three hundred bucks on top of $100,000+ of student loan debt?"

I took the latter point of view, and bought a Welch-Allyn pocket set in medical school. I still use it today on the occasional house call.

Thanks, Kent! Any suggestions re: reflex hammers? Some colleagues say that a hammer with a plastic stem is much better than a hammer with a metal stem (supposedly, it gives more, and therefore makes for a better exam tool). Personally, I do not see any difference - and I am certainly not that keen on carrying a long-stemmed plastic hammer around.

Thanks, Kent! Any suggestions re: reflex hammers? Some colleagues say that a hammer with a plastic stem is much better than a hammer with a metal stem (supposedly, it gives more, and therefore makes for a better exam tool). Personally, I do not see any difference - and I am certainly not that keen on carrying a long-stemmed plastic hammer around.

Totally subjective. My personal favorite is the Troemner (see photo), as the added weight makes it easier to elicit reflexes without looking like I'm trying to split firewood. With lighter hammers, like the Taylor, "it's all in the wrist."

r8black.jpg