Otolaryngology and Research for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BruinCat86

Hi all,

I will be an M1 next year and have been very interested in ENT issues (I'm a Communication Sciences and Disorders major and have had lots of exposure to the world of ENT, especially the ear).

My question is, if I am to continue on and work towards being an ENT, how important is research publications (diff. b/w 1st author versus 2nd, 3rd) to getting an ENT residency.

I don't think I'm one of those that will be aiming for the top residencies but at the same time, I know ENT is a very hard specialty to get a residency.

Are there many cases or few cases of people getting ENT residencies without any research at all?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I will be an M1 next year and have been very interested in ENT issues (I'm a Communication Sciences and Disorders major and have had lots of exposure to the world of ENT, especially the ear).

My question is, if I am to continue on and work towards being an ENT, how important is research publications (diff. b/w 1st author versus 2nd, 3rd) to getting an ENT residency.

I don't think I'm one of those that will be aiming for the top residencies but at the same time, I know ENT is a very hard specialty to get a residency.

Are there many cases or few cases of people getting ENT residencies without any research at all?

Thanks!

Check out the data from the last match (I don't have the link available for some reason).

ENT is a very competitiive specialty, and I know many people who do research for that field. Since you are interested in the field already, why not try to get involved in a project? Perhaps you will discover more about your love of the field, or you will decide it is not for you. And regardless, if you put the work in good things will happen.

With interest at such an early stage and all of the exposure through your studies now, it would probably be a huge negative to not have any ENT-related research by the time you interview for residency.

Research is very important to ENT. At the very least, it shows that you are interested and want to help advance the field -- or you could just be doing it to fill out your CV just in time for the application process.

By the way, here is the link that was mentioned earlier:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the website with links to match statistics http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Research is not necessarily for you to better the world of ENT as a medical student, which you probably will not. But as the previous poster mentioned this will be an opportunity for you to get to know the faculty and residents at your home program. They may even take you into the OR or clinic and expose you to clinical and surgical side of ENT at a young stage in your career.

Also, your work on a research project will show off your work ethic and most likely get you a letter of recommendation. Which is possibly more important then you research. During my interviews, attendings were extremely interested in what parts I played in the research project, not necessarily the project itself.

Hope this helps.

Could anyone comment on the worth of first author vs second or third+ author publications?

This has been discussed by some of the attendings on the board recently. Please scroll down the threads or do a search. This isn't an uncommon topic, especially the part about first author, etc.

Thanks. Has anyone seen an applicant who was first author on a full prospective clinical trial?

Yep, but it was an ob/gyn cancer paper, not ENT. And the med student was applying to ENT. Really impressive paper too.

hey bruincat, there are a number of fellowships you can try for between 1st and 2nd year. there's an interesting program at Oregon Health & Sciences University at their hearing institute. i was selected for this fellowship last year but i had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts. there are some really great opportunities there. http://www.ohsu.edu/ent/gen/sum.html

you should probably also check out the sloan-kettering summer fellowship program because there is usually an ENT-focused project: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/2637.cfm

you should also check out the NIH summer fellowship, although i had no luck contacting any of the PI's at the NIDCD last year - none of them had any projects available.

best of luck.