otolaryngology residencies (ent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8deuce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any ent residents around? I am wondering about the lifestyle and such. i understand the first year is general surgery, which is very hectic, but what are the last four years like? i am very interested in the specialty and want to get a general idea of the training. can anyone elaborate on your application process and what it takes to succeed during residency? i know it is an early match but i want more details. thanks to all. take care! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

hello...hello...hello...is there anybody out there? where are all the ent's!!!!!!!!!
take care all :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
ent docs where are you? trying to keep the post alive!

take care all! :cool:

Sorry you haven't had much of a response. The only ENT I recall ever being here was someone by the User Name "The Throat". Haven't seen him in awhile. You might consider doing a search and seeing if he listed his email address.

Best of luck.

Thanks alot Kim, glad to see you are looking out for us. Hopefully someone can rise up.

Take care all! :cool:

Originally posted by 8deuce:
•Thanks alot Kim, glad to see you are looking out for us. Hopefully someone can rise up.

Take care all! :cool:

I'll ask some of my fellow ENT interns here to see if one of them can help. We're all pretty stressed but maybe they can spare a few moments.

i thank you for taking time out kim. you are the ruler!!!!!!! :D

take care all! :cool:

Somebody reply!!!!!!!!!

trying to keep this alive

thanks.......... :cool:

Deuce,

I'm a 4th-year applying to otolaryngology, so I can try to answer your questions from what I've seen or overheard. Hopefully an actual ENT resident will be able to expand on my comments, and offer more perspective.

Overall, otolaryngology is a nice balance between office time and OR time, and of younger and older patients. Otolaryngology is, to me, a surprisingly broad field, treating diseases from hearing loss to allergies to cancer, to name a few.

As far as the early match, I think the biggest difference it makes is that you have to plan ahead in order to get all of your recommendations in on time (i.e. do your sub-internship early in the year). You also might consider working with a private ENT doc in your community during your 3rd year, because you will get a much different experience in a private practice than in an academic setting.

ENT is a surgical residency and, as such, requires long hours. I don't think you can get adequate training in any kind of surgery working only 40-50 hours a week. However, I would say that it tends to be less grueling than a neurosurgery, general surgery, or orthopedic residency, and maybe on-par with a urology residency. One thing that I think is telling about the otolaryngology residency is that many (a vast majority) of the residents at my school have been able start families during their training, and they seem to balance their home/work lives pretty well. I think this is harder to do in some other surgical specialties.

There seems to be a real change in residency from the 2nd through the 5th year. At my school, 2nd and 3rd years take in-house call whereas senior residents take home call. Senior residents spend most of their time in the OR whereas junior residents spend more time on floor work, although they make it into the OR when they can. So the further you are in your training, the better it gets.

Let me know if you have more questions...good luck!

Spiderman,

I thank you for the indepth post. you answered many questions for me and i wish you the best of luck in your application for an ENT residency. I have a wife and a 3yr old son so the news about the availability of a home/work life is very encouraging. i have always been interested in ent and it is my goal to become an ent surgeon. i have a few more questions for you spiderman that i hope you can help me with. i understand that you need high step 1 scores but if you have avg to slightly above avg scores can you still land an ENT residency? also if the residency directors want research, what kind of research do they want you to have?
Lastly,which programs are considered the best
ENT residency?

spiderman, i thank you for the time you put in trying to help others like myself.

on a side note....spiderman is by far my favorite superhero and my uncle has a room in his house devoted to spidey. he has just about every kind of collectable dealing with spiderman.

take care!

:cool:

Deuce,

As for step 1 scores, I honestly don't know how important they are. You can check out the statistics at:
http://www.sfmatch.org

but this just tells you the average scores, and there's no way of telling how these scores figured into the admissions process.

As for research, I would guess that the *quality* rather than the content of your research is more important. Any publications or significant involvement shows a commitment to research. If you already have roots in non-ENT research, I would stick with that. However, if you're starting from scratch and are trying to pick a research project, I would obviously try to work with an ENT doctor.

As for the "best" residency spots, the only "rankings" I know of are in US News "Best Hospitals":
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/health/hosptl/specotol.htm

However, these are based mostly on reputation and research funding, so I don't think they correlate with how good the residency programs are. For instance, I've heard that at some of the "top" hospitals on this list you may get less surgical experience and be scutted out more than at less "prestigious" programs. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. You can also talk to your attendings about where they trained--they'll have a lot to say.

Best of Luck!

PS-I'm jealous of your uncle--my collection consists of comic books alone!
;)

Thanks for the input. personally, i would prefer to go to a good ENT program that i can be exposed to alot of surgical procedures. i know there is going to be scutwork everywhere, but i would try to get the least as possible.

what field of ENT are you most interested in?
i would love to perform cochlear implants

let me know and do you have an idea which programs you will apply to?

thanks and take care! :cool:

trying to keep this at the top! :cool:

Originally posted by 8deuce:
•trying to keep this at the top! :cool:

I don't think there are many ENT residents here. Maybe you can try posting your message on Medschool.com as well. Good luck.