OU-HCOM Cleveland Campus vs DMU

Fishwithadeagle

Feb 10, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Both are top ranked programs, and I am having a hard time deciding, but are there any major reasons why I shouldn't go to OU-HCOm Cleveland?

OU-HCOM Cleveland:

Pros:
    -I am a Cleveland native with my family still there.
    -Much cheaper at 32k a year
    -Possibility for scholarships since I have stayed in Ohio for all of my schooling.
    -School literally built into a Cleveland Clinic hospital
    -All rotation sites at Cleveland Clinic locations
    -Pass/fail
    -Brand new school
    -Public
    -Am able to continue research with physician mentors and service projects I have been previously involved in.

Cons:
    -Brand new branch campus with one graduated class.
    -Doesn't allow me to travel a bit during school.
    -Mandatory attendance and flipped classroom model
    -Doesn't have resources of main campus
    -Stuck in Ohio (sarcasm but also not)

DMU:

Pros:
    -Well established program
    -Consistent track record
    -Graded ( possible step up with step going pass fail)
    -Great match lists (for a do school)
    -Incredibly friendly staff and students
    -In general I can't find anyone who has egregious complaints with the school.

Cons:
    -55k a year w/ no benefit of being in state
    -Private
    -Graded and all the stress that comes with it ontop of learning the content (I don't expect to be top 10%, so grades may not help help me tremendously)
    -Moving further into the Midwest without being in Chicago.
    -No guarantee of where clinical rotation sites take place (hotspots in Wisconsin, Des Moines, Chicago, Texas are all preferred, rural are not preferred)
    -No guarantee of year long sites (40/220 are not)

Life goals:
    Some form of internal medicine physician. Looking into cardiology currently, would love to move to Chicago permanately. Interests in urban medicine.

Overall Evaluation:
    I am leaning towards OU-HCOM Cleveland for the rotation sites and cost. My main concerns though are with the new nature of the school and not getting to move to a different part of the country during med school and the non-main campus nature of it.

Is my evaluation correct? What do you guys think?

Website links:

About the Ads

enchantments

2+ Year Member
    Feb 21, 2018
    1. Pre-Medical
      If I were in your shoes I would happily go to OUHCOM. As you said, built within the Cleveland Clinic (I.e. access to well-known mentors, research, excellent clinical exposure), P/F, cheaper, more things to do in Cleveland etc.

DMU is a great DO school, but state-funded DO schools with their own residencies in various specialties are a league above.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.