OU-HCOM (Cleveland) vs. NEOMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medicine789

Reaction score
Hello, I need help choosing between these two schools and before you instantly write the MD program (NEOMED), I would like you to consider OU-HCOM’s Cleveland campus pros because they are unique for a DO program. I am currently considering pediatric cardiology or pediatric gastroenterology as my most likely choices after medical school. Both have a 3 year IM(pediatric) residency followed by a 3 year fellowship.

OU-HCOM (Cleveland)

Pros:
  • Partnership with the Cleveland Clinic (second best hospital in the country)
  • Campus is located in one of the Cleveland Clinic hospitals
  • Great rotations for years 3 and 4
  • Lots of students pursue residencies at the Cleveland Clinic after
  • Clinical research with the Cleveland Clinic available
  • I have several connections with doctors at their partnered hospital locations from previous clinical experiences

Cons:
  • Two sets of boards
  • Little more expensive
  • Smaller class size
  • OMM
  • New curriculum still has some issues (issue for both schools)

NEOMED

Pros:
  • Good research opportunities
  • About half the campus is new buildings
  • Only one set of boards
  • Familiar with the campus and have connections with some of the professors

Cons:
  • Bad location
  • Years 3 and 4 rotation sites are not as good compared to OU-HCOM

Both: Match rates and residency program placements (primary care vs everything else) are about the same.

Please do provide thoughtful answers regarding only these two schools and not MD vs. DO at large.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not very familiar with NEOMED, but the rule of thumb is usually MD over DO. Now, you seem to want to get into primary care, which I think you would be fine doing out of a DO school. Which one is cheaper?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not very familiar with NEOMED, but the rule of thumb is usually MD over DO. Now, you seem to want to get into primary care, which I think you would be fine doing out of a DO school. Which one is cheaper?
I agree with the line of thinking. MD will open more doors (or more realistically, less doors are closed. there's a difference).

A con of "About half the campus is new buildings" is really trivial, since as a medical student, you most likely won't be in lecture, but studying videos at home

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the line of thinking. MD will open more doors (or more realistically, less doors are closed. there's a difference).

A con of "About half the campus is new buildings" is really trivial, since as a medical student, you most likely won't be in lecture, but studying videos at home
They are about the same COA. Is a DO program going to limit fellowship opportunities in say cardiology or GI after those required IM residencies? Or is that much more dependent on the residency program?

They are about the same COA. Is a DO program going to limit fellowship opportunities in say cardiology or GI after those required IM residencies? Or is that much more dependent on the residency program?
More dependent upon you, I'll wager.

@AnatomyGrey12 , thoughts???

Being a DO will matter yes. When it comes to fellowships this can be mitigated by where you go for residency to a large extent, but it will have some form of impact regardless.

I cannot, in good consciousness, ever suggest choosing a DO school over an MD school. Assuming you have the same residency/fellowship application at either school, the pathway to what you want to do will simply be easier as an MD.

Hello, I need help choosing between these two schools and before you instantly write the MD program (NEOMED), I would like you to consider OU-HCOM’s Cleveland campus pros because they are unique for a DO program. I am currently considering pediatric cardiology or pediatric gastroenterology as my most likely choices after medical school. Both have a 3 year IM(pediatric) residency followed by a 3 year fellowship.

OU-HCOM (Cleveland)

Pros:
  • Partnership with the Cleveland Clinic (second best hospital in the country)
  • Campus is located in one of the Cleveland Clinic hospitals
  • Great rotations for years 3 and 4
  • Lots of students pursue residencies at the Cleveland Clinic after
  • Clinical research with the Cleveland Clinic available
  • I have several connections with doctors at their partnered hospital locations from previous clinical experiences

Cons:
  • Two sets of boards
  • Little more expensive
  • Smaller class size
  • OMM

NEOMED

Pros:
  • Good research opportunities
  • About half the campus is new buildings
  • Only one set of boards
  • Familiar with the campus and have connections with some of the professors

Cons:
  • Bad location
  • Years 3 and 4 rotation sites are not as good compared to OU-HCOM

Both: Match rates and residency program placements (primary care vs everything else) are about the same.

Please do provide thoughtful answers regarding only these two schools and not MD vs. DO at large.

Thank you!
What did you decide? Because I’m not in a similar boat but with different pros and cons and ive heard different things about NEOMED.

What did you decide? Because I’m not in a similar boat but with different pros and cons and ive heard different things about NEOMED.
OP has not been active in several months. Please post your own School X vs Y thread or ask in the Neomed school-specific thread if you have more questions about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.