OU-HCOM (Dublin campus) vs. CCOM vs. KCUMB vs. PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatomynerd1243

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice? How do the clinical rotations compare between these schools? I'm not from Ohio, but have been exempt from the OU-HCOM OOS contract.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know much about the schools, but I know that the Dublin campus of OU-HCOM is FAR away from anything in Columbus. High cost of living in the surrounding areas. Unless you are an older applicant or want to settle right away, I would recommend another school/campus.

I think this should be between KCU and PCOM. You should post your pros and cons and we can help more. You cannot go wrong here.

I think this should be between KCU and PCOM. You should post your pros and cons and we can help more. You cannot go wrong here.

Honestly I felt welcomed and had a good feeling after all of my interviews...I really don’t know much about these schools/how they compare in respect to their years 3&4 so these are based mostly on my impressions of years 1&2:

KCUMB:
Pros: closest school to home, Score 1 because I really want to do something with pediatrics, curriculum, consistent board scores
Cons: the students that I met were very adamant that it would be too hard to research during year 1&2, which concerns me with the merger coming up (as I think research will be super important when applying to some residencies); probably will have to leave and travel for clinicals

PCOM:
Pros: really liked the curriculum, ample opportunity for research/extracurriculars, really liked everything about the school
Cons: farthest away from home

CCOM:
Pros: liked curriculum, consistent board scores, Anatomy lab (wow), ample opportunities, *heard they have super strong rotations*, second closest to home
Cons: heard clinical volunteering opportunities are somewhat limited (only 1 general clinic, but several omm), I don’t live in Chicago so I can’t live with family which adds to the cost, and cost

OUHCOM
Pros: extended family in Columbus, liked the theory behind the new curriculum a lot, seems like there is a lot of early clinical exposure (at least more than was advertised at the other schools), potential rotations at Nationwide, lots of opportunities for research/abroad/extracurriculars
Cons: curriculum being so new and unlike any of my prior curriculums

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think OUHCOM is going to have anything to offer over these other three.
CCOM is also not close to home and is equal to the others yet insanely expensive.
KCU may depend on just how close it is to your home. Also are you interested in pediatrics or competitive ped specialties?
PCOM is likely the best choice and the one you should go to.

I don't think OUHCOM is going to have anything to offer over these other three.

Actually I think OU is the winner here. It has more residencies than PCOM, is state funded, and has access to very good research. If OP is truly exempt from the OOS thing then I would go to OU in a heartbeat. Their match list is rock solid year in and year out, and their grading system has me exceptionally envious.

While PCOM is a very close second I would actually consider OU over PCOM, but it probably simply comes down to OPs preference as it is that close.

CCOM is out due to cost, and my friends at KCU (multiple) all tell me that KCU is headed in the wrong direction since Dubin left.

Reactions: 1 user