OUCH...ORGANIC & STUFF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBS

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,here's the situation... I got a "C" for Organic I and a "D" for Organic II. My grades were horrid the first two years of college(beer, pool, and school DO NOT mix - 2.5 G.P.A. @ that time)but I have since improved. I now have a cum. GPA of 3.1. My question is will medical schools notice the glaring "D" of my second Orgo class. I have Biochem this semester and will probably get a "A/ or B"(plan to study)...will this compensate for my orgo II grade?!?!? Should I take ORGO I and II all over at my community college?!?!?! HELP!!! Lost in Chicago

Members don't see this ad.

Well, from what I understand you have to make a C or above in Organic. It's a class that is required by pretty much every med school and its required in every pre-med degree. Since its apart of your degree plan I think you have to make a C or above, or you won't get credit for the class. Thats how it is at WT at least. If I were you, I'd go and talk to your advisor about it. I just took Organic I this semester and I barely pulled a C in the class, so I feel your pain. Good luck to you!
]en

If you are applying to only DO schools, repeating Organic or any course and getting a better grade will help since the schools will only count the better grade in calculating your gpa. I took Organic I and II during the summer and got a B- in both classes and I'm having trouble getting into a med school. Definitely re-take these classes as med schools look heavily on your Organic/Biochem grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking Organic over again cannot hurt.

What else can help a great deal? Really doing well in more advanced science courses...Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics, etc.

If you can show them that you are able to do the work, comprehend the material, and put it all together, then you will be OK.

I don't know why people make such a fuss over Organic Chemistry. In my mind, Biochemistry is far more important. It actually makes you USE Organic Chemistry and apply it.

I didn't do so great in Organic I or II, but I was consistent with both semesters.

What helps me? A+ in Biochem, A- in Anatomy and Physiology, and another groups of high grades in heavy science/medical based courses.

Keep your chin up. Study up on enantiomers, hydrolysis, and all that other stuff. To be honest...I never understood HALF of that stuff until I took Biochemistry!

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Almost all doctoral professional schools, require a year of organic chemistry with grades of C- or better. That D should be repeated at your home college with nothing less than an A. Then, at your home college, you might take biochemistry, which you have not taken before, and earn another A. Otherwise, you are just whistling past the graveyard. There are a helluva lot of good candidates out there who don't earn D in a key course.

I think almost everyone has that one class that doesn't go so well for them. For me it was also organic II. I would be concerned about the D and retake the course. Organic is on the MCAT, so you will need some sort of an understanding of it. I took organic I and II over the summer and it was a big mistake. I got a B in I and a D in II, so I retook it and received a B the second time around. Remember no one is perfect, but you should try and make yourself look the best you can to the med schools, so retake it and kick butt, I think I learned a lot more the second time, but don't get me wrong I still suck at it,I just knew enough to get a B and get through the MCATs..

good luck,
PJMCD